Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Birdy Love!!

Thanks

Default Birdy Love!!

Me and my dad went to return a dead saltwater fish (R.I.P. Sir Lawrence ) And after that we went to the front of the store. There is this "Bird Guy" we always see (I hate my short term memory loss for not knowing his name ) and said hi. He comes about once a month and I always check out his birdies. Now, my dad hates most noisy things like dogs, birds, and some loud cats, but today he was in a very nice mood. He said hi to me and we had a little talk about some baby Blue and Gold macaws he was feeding (only 10 days old!!) they were the most ugly things I have ever seen! And I was in love... The guy knows me well and let me hold whatever I wanted (none were in cages, just a wide array of perches.) Here is a list of the birds he let me hold and see...

1. A kookaburra (which sang for me and I almost passed out it was so loud!)
    2. About 3 or 4 adult B&G Macaws
    3. 2 red Macaws
    4. A cockatiel
    5. 3 cockatoos, 1 sulfur 2 umbrella
    6. a female Eclectus, 1 month old
    7. A sun conure (which ADORED my dad and was pinning and rubbing his body on my dad lol!)
    7. Yellow fronted Amazon
    8. A Senegal
    9. A two Caquies!!!!! I have NEVER seen one of these in real life!! I was sooo excited to finally hold one! There was a black capped and a white headed. The funny thing is the black capped could not get enough of me, and the other hated my guts. The black capped just ate me up, and was so cute and fuzzy! The white, however, bit me really hard, oh well, birds will be birds. And you can not force a relationship.

I am convincing my dad to let me get a GCC (green cheek conure) Because they are a little quieter and smaller then most conures. I have always love birds and always wanted one, but the noise is an issue. I have some pictures too!

Me looking stupid

The caquies

You can see some of the Macaws and the Burra

the sunny

Dad and sunny

I did not have time to take more pictures, sorry! Those birds rocked!

Thanks

That's pretty cool he had a Kookaburra, you don't see those often. For a first time bird owner, I'd say the green cheek or sun conures are your best bet. Even a cockatiel would be great...they tend to be quieter than the conures. I've had both conures and tiels, conures talk but tend to love to be out of the cage more and will scream until they get their way. My tiels are less vocal of their distaste of the cage. Caiques are also interesting critters, but will require a bit more time...conures and caiques are hams and attention whores.

Hope you get one...you'll never regret being owned by a bird!

Thanks

I doubt I will regret it! I really like larger birds, which I why I have pushed out the idea of getting a teil or a parrolett/ budgie. I think since the smaller birds are quite, but vocal more often, my dad would not like that... However the larger parrots, like conures, are a bit louder and vocalize less often, my dad could tolerate that better. I am hopping to get a bird in the next year or so, maybe for my 16th b-day. I thought sun conures were LOUD! Second to only Jednday's (spelling?) What is your opinion?

Thanks

Noise tolerance, I actually think cockatoos and african grays tend to be quieter with a very large vocabulary. All birds require a good amount of attention, but the 2 I just mentioned require a significant amount...and a lot of room for a cage, you'll be going through toys pretty quickly...they're pretty expensive and time consuming. My mom's green cheeks were much more quiet than her half moon conure...the green cheeks can be loud but with enough attention they can be trained well. Any bird you get is going to be noisy, that's just a bird. It is how they are trained and how much the person interacts that makes the bird a good pet. If you do get a bird, I'd recommend a smaller/medium size bird before a larger (especially a macaw), and get them the youngest you can. They will bond better in the future if you start from an early age. And also, it seems your "bird guy" has all of his birds acclimated to people, which is really good. Birds tend to pick just one person, but it is great if you can find one that will socialize with others....like your dad.

Thanks

Sun's are so loud your ears will bleed!!! Really, I would rather hear a macaw!
    Specializing in R. Chahoua

Thanks

Macaws require a great deal more though. How the bird is trained and raised really influences their noise level and talking abilities.
    Last edited by Heatheri004; 07-17-2010 at 10:54 PM. Reason: ...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    I doubt I will regret it! I really like larger birds, which I why I have pushed out the idea of getting a teil or a parrolett/ budgie. I think since the smaller birds are quite, but vocal more often, my dad would not like that... However the larger parrots, like conures, are a bit louder and vocalize less often, my dad could tolerate that better. I am hopping to get a bird in the next year or so, maybe for my 16th b-day. I thought sun conures were LOUD! Second to only Jednday's (spelling?) What is your opinion?
    Forgot to mention....conures have a really good vocabulary, much better than many tiels

Thanks

don't forget to check out the quaker or monk parrots (hand fed baby from a breeder of course!). They're a great size, some talk, very social and fun little birds. We've had greens in the past, and my mom's blue is just gorgeous!

Thanks

Before I developed asthma I raised and bred Macaws, Greys, Amazons, Eclectus and caiques. For over 17 yrs. You might want to look at Pionus, the blue heads are stunning and not that loud. As well as a Patagonian, which is the largest in the conure family but quiet compared to other conures.
    Specializing in R. Chahoua

Thanks

I have a nanday...he is SO noisy, but I'm deaf so I don't care. Everyone else cares but not me lol. He has a pretty good vocabulary and great personality.

Cockatoos are extremely noisy....I worked at a bird store for years and most of the returns or rehomes we got were cockatoos, for the noise level.

I also have an african gray and he is noisy but in a fun way. He has a vocabulary of over 200 words and sounds. I can't really enjoy them, but my family loves it.

Caiques are very very sweet birds, one of my favs although I don't own one.

Great pics!

www.thatdarncrab.com
    my fishy/crabby/scaly/furry blog that I don't update enough

Um I ran out of room to list everything...just go here..http://www.iherp.com/sericinda