Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thing 1 & 2's Gargoyle Morph Guide

Hybrid View

Thanks

Arrow Thing 1 & 2's Gargoyle Morph Guide

Pattern: the orientation of darker bands of pigment on the gecko's body that generates a distinct pattern regardless of color. In the example pictures we are looking at only the pattern not the color.

Stripe: a series of "stripes" of colored or black pigment run length of the gecko's body. Typically the stripes, be them colored or black, are darker than the body color of the gecko. Stripes may be partially broken or incomplete in some locations. Almost always the stripes will at least be present in the dorsal area.

the one below is almost a super stripe. While the one above is a very poor stripe, but still stripes.

Super Stripe: the entire body of the gecko is completely covered in stripes including sides, arms, legs and tail. Some of these stripe can be mottled, muted slightly or broken but better examples will have clearly defined stripes all over the body.

Reticulated: Have no pattern at all. Most times with 2-3 different colors of scales intermixed randomly.

Mottled Reticulated: Often confused with the reticulated pattern this pattern has a less random placement of scales. A series of interconnecting lines form a complex network or vein-like pattern across the entire body of the gecko. Typically the lines are black or brown and darker than the body color of the gecko.
    Gecko Fired Down

Same gecko Fired Up

Banded: Similar to the mottled reticulated pattern but also present are thicker bands which run around to the body at regular intervals, giving the impression of bands encircling the gecko's body.

Mosaic: aspects of both the stripe and banded morphs are both present on the gecko's body resulting in a complex, whorled pattern of darker color on the lighter body color of the gecko.
    http://www.giantgeckos.net/giantgeck...ery2&Itemid=49
    Last edited by Lunar Gecko; 07-13-2010 at 12:43 AM.
    Sarah & Jake
    LunarGecko.net
    Feel free to check out our Fauna reviews or follow us on FaceBook!
    You can also check out most of our animals on our iherp page.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lunar Gecko For This Useful Post:

antitheman (04-22-2013),Lovelyanddekstest (07-01-2016)

Thanks

Blotched (Color Specific Pattern): Splotches of color cover the gecko's body in either a random or banded pattern. Usually named for what color splotches are present (i.e. orange-blotched vs. red-blotched)

------------------------------------------------------------
    Color: the presence and orientation of colored pigments, typically not black or brown, on the gecko's body that may or may not be located in a distinct pattern

Black and white: Body color is white or light colored while patterned lines are dark black. Usually considered to be "high contrast".

Yellow: Body color of the gecko has distinct yellow tinge. Or color splotches or stripes may also be yellow in color.
    **note: yellow has a tendency to fade to white or cream with age**
    Sarah & Jake
    LunarGecko.net

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Lunar Gecko For This Useful Post:

Lovelyanddekstest (07-01-2016)

Thanks

Orange: Color splotches or stripes are distinctly orange in color. Can be considered a lesser form of High Orange if the pattern is not as developed and the color stays when not fired.

Red: Body color of the gecko has a distinct red tinge. Color splotches or stripes are typically also red in color.Can be considered a lesser form of High Red if the pattern is not as developed and the color stays when not fired.
    Fired Up

same gecko as above Fired Down

High Red Found in striped geckos only. A set of two, full/unbroken stripes descend down the back along the spine of the gecko. Also present are more stripes of red or less bright color in contrast along side of the initial pair of stripes. Best examples have 3-4 sets of solid stripes going all the way down into a solid lateral stripe. The gecko must keep these stripes while fired up and down. This is not a body color. Most of these animals will be in the Super Stripe category.

*Tentatively called* REDRUM I personally define this morph as having one or more solid sets of red stripes the topmost having a deep Red/Burgundy color the second being the same or still red. The base color of the gecko must fired up a red color and when fired the only colors visible on the skin are red and some small amounts of black.
    Last edited by Lunar Gecko; 07-13-2010 at 01:26 AM.
    Sarah & Jake
    LunarGecko.net

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Lunar Gecko For This Useful Post:

Thanks

High orange Similar to high red but the top most stripes on the back will be orange while side stripes are either orange or a less intense orange color such as yellow. Best examples have 3-4 sets of solid stripes going all the way down into a solid lateral stripe. The gecko must keep these stripes while fired up and down. Most of these animals will be in the Super Stripe category.

Salmon & Pink Body color of the gecko has a distinct pink or salmon tinge when fired. If it is this color when unfired most like the animal will fall into the red or orange category when fired.

Brown: Body color of the gecko has a distinct brown tinge. Typically black lines form the gecko's pattern.
    **Many geckos go through a spectrum between "fired down" and "fired up". Often times, brown pigments will appear in this spectrum that are not consistently present. For example, a black and white striped gargoyle may actually fire up completely with a brown body color.

Black or Melanistic: Body color of the gecko is almost or entirely black in color. May be formed by broad stripes of dark pigment.
    *Note: some hatchlings will fire up and look 'Black or Melanistic' they will most like loose the color over time. We could not find an adult picture we could get an OK to post at the time*

White,Ghost or Pallid: Body color of the gecko is white or very pale with very little patterning and no other colors present. To be considered a "ghost' the gecko must fire up with almost no pigment at all and with little to no pattern. The animal below is not a 'ghost' and fires up with a decent amount of pattern.

We (shadowkorin and myself) got as many pictures that fit that we could get permission to post. BIG thanks to Shadowkorin for all the help making this list as well as all the people who let us use there pictures. If you have examples of morphs/patterns/colors please post. Thanks so much.
    Last edited by Lunar Gecko; 07-13-2010 at 03:15 PM.
    Sarah & Jake
    LunarGecko.net

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Lunar Gecko For This Useful Post:

Thanks

beautiful!

Thanks

Great morph guide Sarah's!
    lets just say I have a lot of stuff
    www.sublimereptiles.com
    Facebook
    BOI

Thanks

not sure if it's ok to post questions here or not, but i am confused as to the "high" red and orange. what makes them high color? the shade or the total surface area of coloration? and why is it only found in stripes?

Thanks

not sure if it's ok to post questions here or not, but i am confused as to the "high" red and orange. what makes them high color? the shade or the total surface area of coloration? and why is it only found in stripes?
    No its great to ask questions here. Please do!

The way I have always understood it is that its the color stays when fired and unfired, also one could say its because of the stripe being located on the high part of the back and the lower it goes it tends to get less and less color. The inner most set of stripes must be solid or 'full pins'. As can been see in the examples above.

I debated adding in 'super blotch' because I have heard of people selling blotches as 'super blotch' who have more than the standard amount of color. No standard has been set that I have come across so I have (as yet) neglected to add it. I would personally say that the amount of blotching would need to cover at least 1/4 of the animals visible mass (not talking about the underside) to be in this category and also need to stay when fired and unfired as the examples for the "Blotched" above do.

Also was wondering if a new morph term should be made for a high red/orange with a fired up base color? Such as a base of red with red and orange stripes? Such as this, I never know what to call her...

Ive been calling the color combo 'redrum' lately.
    Sarah & Jake
    LunarGecko.net

Thanks

This is great! I have been waiting for a guide to pop up on these guys. I would love to get one or two in the future. So is there a certain morph that is sought after more than the other?

Thanks

I have the "redrum" called super red due to almost all, or all of the body being red.