Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Multiple Cage Setup?

Thanks

Default Multiple Cage Setup?

Iím pretty new to the crested world and reptiles all together. I have two small cresties (6 and 7 grams) in their own individual tanks. I thought this would be something that I would get one and be done. But it has consumed me and my entire family for that matter. My son told my wife that he has 2 geckoís but he wants 6 (as he holds up 8 fingers). Honestly I too want more. But my issue is space. As I continue to add to the collection not sure what to do. How are most of you keeping multiple geckoís? I have heard from some that you can have 2 females and 1 male in a cage (I have at 18x18x24 in the box still) and some say they should all be kept separate. What is the best way to keep multiples that is inexpensive but at the same time allows me to enjoy them. The tanks are currently in a room off the kitchen and though my wifeís on board now anymore and she may freak. I do have a full unfinished basement and could have a nice setup there. But is there a cage rack or something that anyone could suggest.

Thanks

You can keep females together year round as long as they are in the same size range and don't act aggressive towards one another. Some people even house trios (one male two females) year round, but I would think keeping the males and females separated when it isn't the breeding season would be best for cooling purposes (I personally have never bred so that would be something to talk to people with experience in that category).

As far as housing goes. Some people house three in a 29 gallon enclosure. Some keep individuals in 20 gallon tanks and others keep individuals in vertical 10 gallon tanks. From everything I've read, seen, and a little common sense, I'd say try and give each of your geckos plenty of space. Doesn't it seem cruel and selfish to try and cram a bunch of geckos into smaller enclosures instead of giving fewer geckos better living conditions? I understand that many people say they do fine in smaller tanks, but I'm sure they'd prefer more space if they could have it. I plan on keeping a pair of females in one of the 23h x15.5 x15.5 Sandfire Dragon Ranch enclosures.
    1.2.0 Crested Geckos: Julian, Libby, & Zest
    0.0.1 Northern Blue Tongue Skink: Chewy
    1.1.0 Cavalier King Charles Spaniels: Mel and Lanie
    "Google safe search is like a condom for your brain." - Dr. Raymond Clemens

Thanks

To save on space you might have to go and build yourself a rack or get those pre made racks from target or walmart. Another option you have is to get yourself stackable cages. Recently went to a forum members house to see her setups and she was using the zilla cages on top of each other. They are light enough to stack on top of each other.

I wouldnt house females with males year round unless you want over 20 eggs every year. You can house 2 to 3 females in the same tank as long as they get along and our about the same sizes. Good luck with the addiction.

Thanks

Here is my set-up. This is a 30ft wall in my living/dining room. The shelves were purchased at Target and then my husband custom built cages to fit on the shelves. I put up to 3 adults in the large cages. The middle/smaller cages are used to house juvies. The middle aquarium is gone now and replaced with another rack of cages. I'll have to get some new updated pics.
    Carrie
    Morphs to the Max
    www.morphstothemax.com

Thanks

^
    1.2.0 Crested Geckos: Julian, Libby, & Zest
    0.0.1 Northern Blue Tongue Skink: Chewy
    1.1.0 Cavalier King Charles Spaniels: Mel and Lanie
    "Google safe search is like a condom for your brain." - Dr. Raymond Clemens

Thanks

Wow! That's impressive. One section of that would be more then enough.

Thanks

Haha, I see a couple "stickys" in the bottom left corner!
    0.2.0 Crested Geckos-Cornelius:aka Doodles, Sweetums, Little Miss and Nibbler:aka BooBoo, Miss Boo and SqueakaBoo
    1.0.0 FBT-Spartacus

1.1.0 Humans-Oscar Roland and Alice Scarlett

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Holly View Post
    Haha, I see a couple "stickys" in the bottom left corner!
    Yep, those were the gargs. They loved to sleep there during the day. The top left cage is where my adult leachie lives (175 gram Nuu Ani male). Next year he will get a female cage mate.:wink:
    Carrie
    Morphs to the Max
    www.morphstothemax.com

Thanks

Feeding day must suuuuuck!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Allhallows View Post
    Feeding day must suuuuuck!!!
    Not really, I mix a big squeeze bottle of CGD and fill up some clean food bowls. It takes about 1/2 an hour to switch the food bowls out and refill water dishes. It takes about 1-2 hours to clean all the cages once a week. Once a month, I deep clean the cages (branches and everything) and that takes about 4 hours or so.
    Carrie
    Morphs to the Max
    www.morphstothemax.com