Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chickens?!

Thanks

Default Chickens?!

OK, the best kind of research is to talk to people who have actually kept/experienced these things, so I would love to hear from all you folks who keep or have kept chickens! (I am caring for a neighbor's chickens right now and they're hilarious, I love em!)
    I would like to know your experiences with keeping chickens, your favourites, least favourites, and why!
    Silly stories and pics are always welcome too, Chickens are good fun.
    Thanks, guys!
    Help! Crested Geckos! 0.1.Leachie, 2.1.1 Gargs, 1.0 Chahoua, 2.1. Blue Tongue Skinks, 1.1. White Lined Geckos, 1.3. African Fat Tails, 2.2.0 Tokay Geckos, 1.0. Giant Day Gecko, 2 tarantulas

Thanks

We had them when we lived in Michigan. I loved them. Fresh eggs are the best.

Cleaning the coop is not fun but if you wear a mask and don't let it build up it's not that bad. I also used to worry when I would let them out in the larger open area pen that the hawks would get them which did happen a few times. But overall I really liked having them.
    They are fun to watch, digging around in the grass for bugs and a strutting rooster is great to watch. Like "yeah these are MY women!"

I can't remember the name off hand but one person I knew had these smaller chickens that laid smaller blue/green eggs. And the chickens themselves were really pretty, lots of color.
    Specializing in R. Chahoua

Thanks

Top Hats are my fave, Saille Mae:

Charming Chewies: Specializing in Grand Terre and Pine Isle locales of chahoua.

Thanks

Brahmas

Phoenix

Vorwerk
    ~Rami | Nova Reptiles | iHerp | Facebook
    7.17.6.7 Crested geckos, 1.1 mix leachies, 1.1 Halmaheras, 1.1 African Fat Tails, 1.2 Tokays, 1.1 Oedura castelnaui, 2.1 Leopard geckos, 0.1 corn snake, & too many feeder bugs.

Thanks

I think it's Banty hens that lay the blue eggs. My grandparents had chickens but I don't remember a lot about them.
    0.2.0 Crested Geckos-Cornelius:aka Doodles, Sweetums, Little Miss and Nibbler:aka BooBoo, Miss Boo and SqueakaBoo
    1.0.0 FBT-Spartacus

1.1.0 Humans-Oscar Roland and Alice Scarlett

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Holly View Post
    I think it's Banty hens that lay the blue eggs. My grandparents had chickens but I don't remember a lot about them.
    Yeap, that sounds right!
    Specializing in R. Chahoua

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 799 Posts

I think the Arucana (sp?) chicken lays blue or green eggs. Saw some on Martha Stuart.
    Specializing in Crested Geckos
    Working with Uromastyx | Uroplatus | PI Chahoua
    Also keeping: Australian Shepherds (Chester & Sadie)
    Moon Valley Reptiles | MVR @iherp | Facebook

Thanks

I looove Rhodies. <3

Thanks

When I was a kid, we had about 50+ hens and about 15 roosters (can't remember type they were) and the worse thing was cleaning the coop in the summer when it was hot and humid; or when my parents decided we were having chicken for dinner and they cooked one you had named. I remember one day running to catch the bus when I was in grade school and the alpha rooster (Big Daddy) attacked me; putting one of his talons in the side of my knee. Damn that hurt and I limped all day at school from it, have the scar as a reminder....back in those days you tuff'd it out, but now-a-days it would require a tetnus shot and some asprin.

Thanks

i love chickens, fresh eggs are the best. I have a mixed flock of about 15ish hens and i think one rooster thats a bantam. i have mostly rhode island reds, buff orpingtons, and some other various brown egg layers, i also have white egg layers i dont know what they are i know they aren't white leghorns. I love americuanas/araucana that lay blue/green eggs i was supposed to have some of those but maybe they become roosters and were sold. lol. Cleaning the coop is not fun thats the only thing i can think of that i really hate doing, i love watching them in the yard. remember to collect the eggs in the evening if they are egg laying already. also they love fruits they go nuts over watermelon n stuff like that, i like making a yogurt thing for mine with vanilla yogurt, oyster shell, scratch grains, and some fruit they loved it. my chickens are at my parents house until we move and build a coop. but i have had 2 flocks in the past. they are very easy to care for and fun to watch.
    ALOT of Leopard Geckos
    ALOT of Crested Geckos
    1 Quaker Parrot
    1.3 Beagles
    1.0 Husband