Thread: apartment + lizards = ?

Thanks

Default apartment + lizards = ?

so im looking to move out of my parents house soon.

my question is....what has been your experence with apartments and lizards? do the owners care about the lizards? most places say no pets, but thats just cats and dogs right? would they treat the lizards like a fish...and not care b/c it stays in its cage?

so with those of you with apartments...help and opinions and stories please! thanks!
    1.2.0 Leopard Gecko-Zuko, Spaz, and Wretch
    1.1.0Crested Gecko - Sokka and Suki
    0.1.0 African Fat Tail Gecko- Appa
    1.0.0 Tokay Gecko - "Kamikazi"

Thanks

Here was a thread with the same scenerio your having.

http://www.pangeareptile.com/forums/...ight=apartment

Thanks

haha...sweet, thanks! im a tard for not using search, im so out of it.
    1.2.0 Leopard Gecko-Zuko, Spaz, and Wretch
    1.1.0Crested Gecko - Sokka and Suki
    0.1.0 African Fat Tail Gecko- Appa
    1.0.0 Tokay Gecko - "Kamikazi"

Thanks

Beat me to it! Yea I am having the same concerns, and everybody answered my question really well

3.0 Crested Geckos *Moe*Kami*Piper*
    [COLOR="RoyalBlue"]0.1 Gargoyle Gecko *Nexus*[/COLOR
    1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa *Incus*
    0.1 Sphynx Outcross x American Curl Cat *Kura*
    1.0 Tabby Cat *Shorty*

Thanks

When we were looking to get a new place, I told the landlord that I had a couple tortoises and geckos (first lesson: never give an exact number). I gave the whole, they are contained, the won't damage the place, no noise no smell etc etc. And they were like yeah, thats fine.

Then, after living here for about a month they got a buyer interested in buying the entire duplex (to become the new landlord) and wanted to show them our apartment. I tidied the reptile room, tried to make my 10'x6' wall of geckos look presentable and held my breath.

As Brian walked in he said a breathy "wow". I was like, uh, yeah *laugh* my little mini zoo up here. They peeked in a couple of cages and leaned over the tortoise bins and Brian says "Well, its quieter than having cats or dogs" and that was it!

I think if you explain to them that they won't harm the property, or damage it in any way, people are more receptive to the idea. And I have 20 or so geckos, 4 tortoises and a pair of ball pythons so the number was in no way, small
    Meg
    THE GECKO ALCHEMIST
    on facebook

Thanks

I've never had a problem with apartment buildings, I've never even had to pay a pet deposit. I just tell them I have a couple small reptiles that don't need insects or heating and it's usually fine. Sometimes they want to "meet" them after we move in.

We had a lot of trouble when we were looking when it came to places that were privately rented out such as basements. A lot of people are just creeped out my the thought of reptiles and whatnot.
    0.2.0 Crested Geckos-Cornelius:aka Doodles, Sweetums, Little Miss and Nibbler:aka BooBoo, Miss Boo and SqueakaBoo
    1.0.0 FBT-Spartacus

1.1.0 Humans-Oscar Roland and Alice Scarlett

Thanks

Hi guys

I've been on both ends of this. In college when i was renting my landlords were totally cool with reptiles. I explained to them the enclosures are pretty much just gonna be like more furniture around and that seemed to work out well enough for them. Since finishing school i've gotten into rental property management. When it happens occasionally i am totally ok with herp owners who apply. The things i would probably say no to are aquatic turtles needing a big setup and really large reptiles like monitors and large constrictor snakes. I think the big thing you wanna get across to landlords is that the animals aren't a liability in terms of damage to their property or dangerous to the other tenants/workers that might come around the apartment.

-Andrew

Thanks

Be very careful. When I first started my reptiles I was in a 1bdrm apartment and when I told my landlord and told her EVERY time I acquired a new reptile she would say "that's fine, the deposit is only for dogs/cats" Around the same time I started rescuing cats for her and re homing them. As soon as I stopped doing that b/c it was taking up to much money and I wasn't getting any back, I get a note on my door that everything had to be gone in 3 days or I was evicted. So as soon as I'm of no more use to her, she tried to make me get rid of everything. I appeased her by finding new homes for some of them, but still.
    Imperial Ball Pythons
    Rightpet - A place to rate your favorite pets!
    5.8.1.5 - Crested Gecko
    0.1.3 - Leopard Gecko
    1.1 - Fat tailed gecko
    16.26 - Ball Pythons

Thanks

Very true indeed ImperialBP, the tenants with pets that i have leased to mostly have their pets listed down and agreed upon in the lease contract. For the others that acquired pets after starting to rent, I generally don't care much if they have an animal they didn't tell me about along as the animal isn't causing any trouble, but i suppose it would be possible for me to try and evict them. If you want to be extra careful get it in writing as to what pets you can have.

-Andrew
    Last edited by AndrewLiu; 07-09-2010 at 05:14 AM. Reason: Revised for clarity