Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chewie questions

Thanks

I wanted to check my book first but I have also had that kind of growth. For example Gormogon was 4 grams on 9-1-09 He now weighs in at at 56.7 grams.

This has everything to do with bugs and higher humidity. When the humidity is higher they eat more, are more active, poop better and gain size faster. I can't stress enough that it's not about just soaking the cage, it's keeping the area air inside more humid. There needs to be a dry area for them as well. If you have screen on top of your cage cover most of it.

For those of you that remember the long post I made about chewies and humidity. The girl I was having some problems with losing weight, the update is once I kept her cage more humid she started gaining weight back, her skin felt softer. She did lay two dud eggs (she had never been with a male). Now she is like she was when she was younger, eating everything I put in front of her, back to loving her bugs and went from 34 grams when I was most worried to now 50.9 grams and growing.
    Specializing in R. Chahoua

Thanks

Jon, I also want to add that if you are not looking to breed. You might want to get one that is sexable male. You will more than likely get a little better price, and to be honest my males are all less skittish and more friendly and out-going than the females. I have sweet females, don't get me wrong but it seems like my males tolerate contact more and will at times appear to seek it.
    Specializing in R. Chahoua

Thanks

I also 110% agree with feeding Chewies more bugs and keeping the humidity higher than you would with Cresties. I have 2 babies right now, and the one that I picked up at the beginning of May has doubled in size. I'll have to get an updated weight but, I keep the humidity higher for my Chewies and I feed them insects ATLEAST twice a week and they are growing like weeds.

Good luck in your search, Chahouas are very rewarding, and their personalities will steal your heart in an instant.
    http://thegeckotree.com/ - Health, Colour, Structure Visit us today! (:
    Follow on Facebook facebook.com/TheGeckoTree
    Gargoyle Geckos -Crested Geckos - Leachianus - Chahoua - Tarantulas - Nephrurus - African Fat Tails

Thanks

Very good to know, i've already been keeping a humidifier in my reptile room. But i have to say i've only been feeding live once a week or every two weeks. I'll try kicking up the ratio of bugs to CGD.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLiu View Post
    ~70 grams in 10 months?!?! What bugs are you feeding?
    Dusted/gut-loaded crickets and phoenix worms mostly. Dubia and wax worms more rarely. My older girls have taken F/T pinkies in the past and I am thinking about doing that on a more regular basis like once every month or two. The big girl also eats more MRP then any other gecko I have.

Variety is important, IMO.

Thanks

One of the problems I have is that NONE of my Chahoua are big on MRP no matter the one part, two part, flavor, location, etc. One doesn't eat any and the other two are finnicky at best.

Any suggestions, Matt?
    Charming Chewies: Specializing in Grand Terre and Pine Isle locales of chahoua.

Thanks

Back from FL and just wanted to bump this for its wealth of knowledge for potential new chewie owners. Thanks again everyone!
    Rosario's Reptiles: Project Creamy Things...target 2012 season
    3.8 Ciliatus, 1.2 Guttata, and 1.2 Felis Catus.

Thanks

Never mind)))))))))))))))))
    Last edited by CrestieCool; 08-13-2012 at 01:32 PM.
    MyRhacdiction

1.1.3 Cresties, 1.1 Gargs, 1.0 Leopard Gecko
    I want a Chewie and a Rubber Boa next)))))))
    Let's just say my house is a zoo)

Thanks

Holy cow, I remember this thread. Sorry I left you hanging, Mike. Don't know why I did that.

Quote Originally Posted by MPLexus301 View Post
    One of the problems I have is that NONE of my Chahoua are big on MRP no matter the one part, two part, flavor, location, etc. One doesn't eat any and the other two are finnicky at best.

Any suggestions, Matt?

Thanks

Haha no problem at all. Glad to see you around...come back more often!
    Charming Chewies: Specializing in Grand Terre and Pine Isle locales of chahoua.