Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chewie questions

Thanks

Default Chewie questions

I have empty tank fever. I have an extra exo 18x18x24. Contemplating a chewie purchase.

Is this tank large enough for a full grown chahoua?

Is a small or Medium KK suitable housing to grow up a baby chewie?

I understand care for chewie's is almost identical to cresties, except they need more solid climbing objects and slightly higher humidity? Is this correct?

Feeding is essentially the same? (CGD every other night, dusted feeders occassionally)

What's the difference between locale's (why is one more desirable than the other?) I DO NOT plan to breed them. I seem to always be drawn to PI chewie photos over mainland etc.

What's a decent price for a baby chewie these days? I unfortunately will miss the white plains show sunday as I will be in FL...otherwise, I'd price them out there.

Am I missing anything big picture here?

I want to thank Mina, Meg, and Mike for posting so many pics of their adorable chewies...and making me want one. In addition to the new chewie Brandie just received.
    Rosario's Reptiles: Project Creamy Things...target 2012 season
    3.8 Ciliatus, 1.2 Guttata, and 1.2 Felis Catus.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oo3menace View Post
    I have empty tank fever. I have an extra exo 18x18x24. Contemplating a chewie purchase.

Is this tank large enough for a full grown chahoua?

Is a small or Medium KK suitable housing to grow up a baby chewie?

I understand care for chewie's is almost identical to cresties, except they need more solid climbing objects and slightly higher humidity? Is this correct?

Feeding is essentially the same? (CGD every other night, dusted feeders occassionally)

What's the difference between locale's (why is one more desirable than the other?) I DO NOT plan to breed them. I seem to always be drawn to PI chewie photos over mainland etc.

What's a decent price for a baby chewie these days? I unfortunately will miss the white plains show sunday as I will be in FL...otherwise, I'd price them out there.

Am I missing anything big picture here?

I want to thank Mina, Meg, and Mike for posting so many pics of their adorable chewies...and making me want one. In addition to the new chewie Brandie just received.
    Hello!
    Yes that cage is large enough for an adult chahoua or even an adult pair. I keep my pair in a custom made 12X25X25 cage and they do great.

A medium to large kritter keeper would probably be best to keep a baby chahoua in, and you could raise it in there until probably about 10-15 grams.

Slightly higher humidity yes, especially when breeding and incubating eggs. In my breeding cage I have two cork tubes, and a cork slab. Not as much foliage either with the chewies.

Feeding is the same, although chahouas do tend to eat more, just make sure you're feeding them what the animal requires, but same ingredients so to speak.

P.I. chahouas get larger and are generally more "splotchy" in color. Other than that its pretty much the same. In my experience P.I.s are more colorful, but that varies by animal.

Good price for a baby chewie, P.I. expect to pay $400-$500, and Mainland Probably about $350-$400. If you're getting something in specific, say a high white or high red, expect to pay quite a bit more. They're not easy to breed, and not very prolific, which makes for the high prices.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask! They're very enjoyable to keep, definitely worth it IMO!

-Armen

Thanks

Haha...I warn you...one is never enough

As for your questions, let me see what I can help you with:

An 18 x 18 x 24 exo should be large enough for an adult, providing you don't get some monster PI that comes in over 65g. If so, you might want to move him/her to something larger, but that is a ways off anyway. I keep all of my adults in 30 gallon tanks and they seem to make pretty good use of all the space.

A small or medium KK is a great idea- I raise mine in KKs until they hit about 20-25g. They seem to do a lot better in smaller enclosures as babies (no surprise there).

You're right about their care - thicker branches and vines are a necessity, as is slightly higher humidity and MORE BUGS. Chahoua are the most prey-driven of all the Rhacs IMO and you will need to offer babies bugs frequently. These guys are not meant for the "CGD always and bugs never" routine...not even close. As babies, mine rarely ever touch the CGD (a few licks here and there) but absolutely live for insects. As they get older I see them take a little more to CGD, but these guys do consistently need and want more bugs than cresteds.

Locales...GT/Mainland animals are usually a little smaller, often less colorful, and look a little different- shorter snouts, bigger eyes. My 1yr old GT male is about 44g whereas my PI male was about 53g at that same time. PIs tend to be a tad larger and come in a wider array of colors, but each locale has its exceptions to the rule.

It's hard to give you an exact figure on pricing but this year it seems like $350 is the bottom end for a Mainland baby, and $450 is the low end of a PI baby. This will all vary depending on lineage, age, and color, but that is a rough expectation.

If you're going through FL you should contact Vicki from Big Fat Geckos. She currently has a few mainland babies for sale and depending on where you're going, might be able to show you a few things. Also, depending on where you're driving, the Atlanta show is this weekend, too.

Good luck and let us know if you have other questions
    Charming Chewies: Specializing in Grand Terre and Pine Isle locales of chahoua.

Thanks

There are some older mainland chahoua on kingsnake right now, a male and a female from two different sellers. Each would come to about 450$ shipped. I also saw a large juvie PI boy on there last night as well for alittle more than that too.

Chahoua are the shiz though, for real.

Ohne, who is in a front opening viv will come right to the front if I start talking to her. If I open the cage, she comes toward me, trying to see what treats I have to offer her. They seem alittle more social than other rhacs, and actually seek out the attention. I've seen the "come and see" behavior out of several individuals owned by friends as well.

Appa, my boy, is still in a bin, but I can't wait to do a viv for him so that I can interact more with him as well.

Habitat wise, they love thick branches, and I like to put atleast one plant bunch over such a branch so they can hide under the leaves but still cling. In bins, on paper towel substrate both of mine were ground sleepers. They love a good cocohut hide or a small log.

Also two words: Cork bark. It is the love of their life after food

Roaches are a big hit, as is anything else that moves. I have conditioned Ohne that her roaches come in a certain dish. And whenever she sees that dish, she already knows whats in it. She can tell the difference between that one and the one she gets her CGD in. They have alot of intelligence for "just being geckos"

If you do get a chewie, be sure to post LOTS of pics! I love looking at other chahoua. It never gets old!
    Meg
    THE GECKO ALCHEMIST
    on facebook

Thanks

Thanks so much for the responses and information!

I'll def look into bigfatgeckos. I'll be down in Cape Coral for 5 days and South Beach for 2 days, not sure where she is located though.

I still need to pickup a rack before I can get the chewie but it's def something I'm interested in owning sooner rather than later...especially after what Meg said about their personalities.

Thanks!
    Rosario's Reptiles: Project Creamy Things...target 2012 season
    3.8 Ciliatus, 1.2 Guttata, and 1.2 Felis Catus.

Thanks

I think the best part about Chahoua is their personality and character - to own one is to love one! You will understand

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MPLexus301 View Post
    You're right about their care - thicker branches and vines are a necessity, as is slightly higher humidity and MORE BUGS. Chahoua are the most prey-driven of all the Rhacs IMO and you will need to offer babies bugs frequently. These guys are not meant for the "CGD always and bugs never" routine...not even close. As babies, mine rarely ever touch the CGD (a few licks here and there) but absolutely live for insects. As they get older I see them take a little more to CGD, but these guys do consistently need and want more bugs than cresteds.
    I just wanted to second the importance of insects. You'll be amazed at the growth rate of these guys when fed bugs often and kept with a good humidity cycle. My youngest female is 10 months old and approaching 70 grams. All of the one's I've bought as babies passed 50g at around 6-8 months.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MHGeckos View Post
    I just wanted to second the importance of insects. You'll be amazed at the growth rate of these guys when fed bugs often and kept with a good humidity cycle. My youngest female is 10 months old and approaching 70 grams. All of the one's I've bought as babies passed 50g at around 6-8 months.
    I am glad that Matt agrees, and I cannot stress this enough. Most people who get into Chahoua have previously owned cresteds and think they can be kept the exact same way.They can't.

I don't want to open a can of worms in your thread with this issue because I know that everyone feels differently, but much like Matt's experience, there is a marked difference between animals fed bugs regularly, and those that are not. I will leave it at that.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MPLexus301 View Post
    I am glad that Matt agrees, and I cannot stress this enough. Most people who get into Chahoua have previously owned cresteds and think they can be kept the exact same way.They can't.

I don't want to open a can of worms in your thread with this issue because I know that everyone feels differently, but much like Matt's experience, there is a marked difference between animals fed bugs regularly, and those that are not. I will leave it at that.
    I agree with Micheal 100% More bugs than cresteds and more humidity!!
    Specializing in R. Chahoua

Thanks

~70 grams in 10 months?!?! What bugs are you feeding?