Thread: Pit bull saves family from a fire and tries to pull the baby out

Thanks

Default Pit bull saves family from a fire and tries to pull the baby out

http://www.wsbt.com/news/local/Red-C...-98024604.html

"BRISTOL — The Elkhart County Red Cross is calling a Bristol pit bull a hero after he alerted his family to a fire, and even tried to pull a baby away from danger.

The fire started early Thursday morning in a hallway and quickly spread throughout the home, according to the Red Cross.

“It sounds like the real hero here is the family pit bull,” said Frank Connolly, assistant executive director of the Elkhart County Red Cross. “Apparently ‘Thor’ woke the family up and even tried to pull the baby and bassinet out of the house. Lately we have learned how important pets can be to a family, and this is as stark an example as I’ve ever seen.”

"He's the hero today. He's the man," said Kemper Hunter, Thor's owner. "We turned around to look for the bassinet that was at the head of the bed, and it's at the door. All we got to do is open the door and go out. [Thor's] like 'Let's roll, dad! It's time to go, I got you.'"

No one in the family was injured, but their home was heavily damaged. The Red Cross is providing short-term housing as well as food, blankets, clothing and a crib for the baby."

About time that some pits got some GOOD publicity lately, ahaha. All I normally hear is about how they're such a horrible breed and they're nothing like boxers, yadda yadda. To be honest, the most aggressive one I met was actually a boxer. The owners bred and trained him to be a guard dog. I've met some seriously sweet pits, including one that IS a watch dog for a small pet store. He's totally sweet, he'll come outside and sit in the parking lot to wait for his owner to return, and go inside at closing to protect the store. He lets little kids come in and tug on his ears and try riding on his back. When you're waiting in line, he'll whine for you to buy him a treat, haha. Seriously most tolerant, patient, sweet dog I have ever met from any breed whatsoever. Actually, most of the boxers I've met were hyper more than anything else.
    Last edited by Jateui; 07-08-2010 at 10:17 PM.

Thanks

That is awesome! Animals are so keen to their environment.
    Rosario's Reptiles: Project Creamy Things...target 2012 season
    3.8 Ciliatus, 1.2 Guttata, and 1.2 Felis Catus.

Thanks

I think a lot of it has to do with the owner. I've met lots of sweet pit bulls, and I've also been threatened by a vicious one that came on to my property. No dog, regardless of breed, should be allowed to run loose and threaten people or dodge traffic. Pit bulls aren't the only breed that can hurt people, but a big muscular dog can do more damage than, say, a chihuahua with attitude.

Thanks for the post. Animal hero stories are great!
    Boston Terrier 1.0, Stetson R.I.P. 8/15/2015.
    Rough Collie (rescued) 1.0, Teddy
    Crested Geckos 9.11.12
    Pine Isle Chahoua 1.0.1 Hunter, Cami
    Leopard Geckos 1.2 Confetti, Snowdrop, & Beauty
    Bearded Dragon 1.0 Jayden

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 799 Posts

That pit bull was just saving the baby to eat later.
    Specializing in Crested Geckos
    Working with Uromastyx | Uroplatus | PI Chahoua
    Also keeping: Australian Shepherds (Chester & Sadie)
    Moon Valley Reptiles | MVR @iherp | Facebook

Thanks

LMAO. My Pit Jade says she resents that comment!
    No, its about time to hear a good pitbul story

Quote Originally Posted by Spyral View Post
    Crestopia Reptiles
    http://crestopiareptiles.webs.com/

8.20.34.43 Crested Geckos, 2.2.0.4 Gargoyle Geckos, 0.2.0 Leachies, 2.0.1 Pictus Geckos, 0.1 AKSB, 0.0.1 RETF, 1.2.0 Dogs

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spyral View Post
    LMAO!
    But seriously, I agree. Some pits are just the best dogs EVER. Dogs are so much like people in that, if they're raised right with love, discipline and care to their proper needs, then they can turn out to be awesome members of a family. If not, then well, like people, they end up in jail or dead, and possibly harming a bunch of people along the way.
    Hooray for happy stories!
    Help! Crested Geckos! 0.1.Leachie, 2.1.1 Gargs, 1.0 Chahoua, 2.1. Blue Tongue Skinks, 1.1. White Lined Geckos, 1.3. African Fat Tails, 2.2.0 Tokay Geckos, 1.0. Giant Day Gecko, 2 tarantulas

Thanks

Pits are one of those breeds who are either the bestest or the worsts. depends on the owner and breeding. It is great to see one of the best ones being a hero!
    Roxanne
    and the zoo
    www.geckoluv.com

Thanks

They updated the story, including a picture in the link. The dog actually looks quite adorable

Thanks

<3Pit bulls
    Abe