Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My insurance company cancelled our policy!!!

Thanks

Default My insurance company cancelled our policy!!!

We had a bad storm a few weeks back, and because of that, our garage roof caved in. We had an insurance adjustor come out, he came into our house to make sure that the garage didn't cause our living room wall to come away from the foundation. He cut us a check for 60% of the estimate (a whole 'nother story)

Well, today my hubby calls me and says our insurance rep called him saying that the adjustor noticed I have reptiles (bearded dragon, and two crested geckos). She then went on to say that they are going to have to cancel our policies with them because they don't allow "exotics". WHAT!?

Thanks

Ya you need to call them. They should not be dropping you because of that. They won't cover animals, but in my experience they does not prevent you from being eligible for coverage. When I got my insurance I asked about coverage for all my pets and quickly learned no one will do it. I could have them covered in a way under a small business insurance plan, but I am not that far along yet.

Give them another call, ask for paperwork that specifically states you cannot have coverage and pets because that just sounds silly. If they give you the run around just ditch them and get someone else.

Thanks

That sucks big time! We had a slow water leak in our master bath causing over $7k in damage and the restoration company told us the only consern they could see was the insurance may not cover due to mold. We were very lucky, they covered it all after deductible, only raised our rate $100 a year and the adjuster loved our geckos and said he was thinking of getting one. We were very lucky! I would suggest contacting your agent and explain your critters to them so they understand exactly what they are. If the insurance company won't change their minds, maybe your agent can find a better one that will take cute little helpless critters. Hope all will work out for you.

Thanks

She was quick to say that "it's not because of your garage claim, we can't cover your house because you have exotic pets."

Thanks

Thanks, I hope we can get it straightened out. She said she was going to talk to "them" and see if it we can keep the policy, but the way my life has been going lately... I am not holding my breath.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thelocket View Post
    She was quick to say that "it's not because of your garage claim, we can't cover your house because you have exotic pets."
    Lol ya that is what they all say. It is just one big giant coincidence that you had a valid claim and they cancelled your policy in the same time frame. RIIIIGHT!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Talkenlate04 View Post
    Lol ya that is what they all say. It is just one big giant coincidence that you had a valid claim and they cancelled your policy in the same time frame. RIIIIGHT!
    Yeah, sounds like a load of crap to me. Anything to get out of paying.
    0.2.0 Crested Geckos-Cornelius:aka Doodles, Sweetums, Little Miss and Nibbler:aka BooBoo, Miss Boo and SqueakaBoo
    1.0.0 FBT-Spartacus

1.1.0 Humans-Oscar Roland and Alice Scarlett

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thelocket View Post
    Well, today my hubby calls me and says our insurance rep called him saying that the adjustor noticed I have reptiles (bearded dragon, and two crested geckos). She then went on to say that they are going to have to cancel our policies with them because they don't allow "exotics". WHAT!?
    What insurance company is your policy with?

Thanks

Your exotic pets (any pets) are not covered (replaceable) by a homeowners policy, but they are most likely covered liablity wise (ie. your beardie bites someone's finger, the bite gets infected, end up having to cut finger off, etc... - not like any of that would really happen, but for example sake) The person sues you for damages - your homeowners insurance would most likey cover the damages. It would probably be handled the same as a dog bite. Thats what liablity insurance is there for.

More then likely they are using your reptiles as an excuse to cancel the policy whether it's due the recent claim or something the adjuster put in the report, you will probably never know. Your best bet would be to try to find new homeowners insurance asap. Every company has different requriements/exclusions when it comes to pets so don't worry about the reptiles. Hopefully you can find a new policy before the claim shows up so you won't get surcharged for it by the new company.
    Carrie
    Morphs to the Max
    www.morphstothemax.com

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Holly View Post
    Yeah, sounds like a load of crap to me. Anything to get out of paying.
    They would still have to pay for the existing roof claim no matter what. Insurance companies can't get out of paying existing claims by canceling the policy.
    Carrie
    Morphs to the Max
    www.morphstothemax.com