Thread: lost in the egg

Thanks

Default lost in the egg

So yesterday Ginger's second clutch started to hatch, noticed the one pretty easily, its head was sticking out..lol The other I did notice had slit the egg. So baby 1 emerged within about 20 minutes of sticking its head out, baby 2 still didnt even stick its head out yet, not too worried sometimes it takes them awhile. Well a few hours later I started to fret. Although I am not one of those people who help babies out of their eggs, I have never had this problem before. In my head I knew the baby was likely gone. But since this was Gingers and Charlies first year breeding and just their second clutch, I really want to get a feel for what will be hatching from them, so I opened it up. And I must say, it is nerve racking! Part of me really wanted the baby to be alive in there, just stubborn to come out, so I was tryin to be ohhh so careful not to cut the baby. I got the head free on one side, the eye had no life behind it, sad. I got the whole baby free, a beautiful little harley which seems to be the trend for them, would have been 3 harleys and one patternless dal. These eggs were laid on 4/14, incubating for 77 days. The only thing I can think of is maybe it drowned?

Here is the clutchmate that made it

lets just say I have a lot of stuff
    www.sublimereptiles.com
    Facebook
    BOI

Thanks

The poor thing Sorry your baby didn't make it.

The clutch mate is a cutie!
    Brandie

www.cbballpythons.com
    5.5.7.3 Cresties - 1.2.1 Gargoyle - 1.1 M.I. Chahoua - 1.1.0.4 P.I. Chahoua - 0.0.1 Leachie

"I'm in the high-fidelity first class travelling set.......I think I need a Lear jet"

Thanks

Aww, I'm sorry! It is always hard when that happens. The little survivor is adorable though...

Thanks

well the little survivor has shed and it is a red harley! So I guess something good came out of something bad. Although I have to wonder if the other little one was a red harley also as kind of had a strange brown red hue like its clutchmate had. Will never know. I hope this doesnt happen again to me this season, I felt kinda lost about it since it was something I couldnt control.
    lets just say I have a lot of stuff
    www.sublimereptiles.com
    Facebook
    BOI

Thanks

This is for everyone that might think to cut an egg in the future.

Don't charge in slicing open a big hole. (not saying you did that Mel).
    Make a small cut just enough to puncture the egg. Egg goo will some pouring out (shooting out in some cases), at that point you can just wipe it away until it stops. Sometimes the baby gecko will start to turn and position itself to make a break for it, and sometimes they will chill for a while. After 15 minutes or so if the baby does not come out gently hold the egg and press inwards slightly and gently. From the hole you made you should see a second bubble like blob sticking out of the hole and it will be slightly yellowish in color although that can vary from egg to egg. That is the membrane that encases the gecko as it develops an embryonic sac I suppose. Cut that and place the egg back down again. In most instances the gecko will come out shortly after that membrane has been cut, but if not after another 15 minutes start to increase the size of the hole cutting a straight line. If you feel the gecko move put the egg back down. From there if the gecko does not come out on it's own it was just not meant to be. And if you cut to find a dead gecko, it was dead before you started and you could have done nothing more to save it.

Sorry about your little one. Drowning sounds like the case here especially since it is so well formed and close to hatching.