Thread: Lost a hatchling

Thanks

Default Lost a hatchling

I was not quite sure where to put this thread, so thought here might be best.

I did something very stupid.

I have one of the small heat/cool type refrigerators for my incubator. This is the one that Matt sells here.
    Well, we were going to be arranging the reptile room on Sunday, so on Saturday I was getting ready and moved the incubator to a lower shelf and placed all my sterlite tubs with my hatchlings next to it. NEVER realizing that the box that is attached to the power cord was pushed against the wall. Well, evidently that box had no circulation and it got very hot. The baby that was in the tub next to it was dead on Sunday!

I did not realize the danger about the babies being next to it until after we moved everything. My husband moved the incubator and made mention of how very hot the small box was. It was not until a couple hours after that when I was placing babies in their new location I found my one baby dead.

So just a word of caution, when using this fridge, make sure the small box that is attached to the power cord has plenty of free space around it. Or it can get too hot and cause damage.

I was so sad. I had never lost a baby once it was out of the egg....it just had me so mad at myself for being so stupid. RIP little one....

Thanks

Very sorry for your loss Cin. Thanks for the warning.
    Rosario's Reptiles: Project Creamy Things...target 2012 season
    3.8 Ciliatus, 1.2 Guttata, and 1.2 Felis Catus.

Thanks

Awe Cin, i'm so sorry for your loss of the little one. It's the most heartbreaking thing. I know you can't help but be upset with yourself but don't be too hard on yourself.

RIP little cutie, know that you were loved dearly!
    http://thegeckotree.com/ - Health, Colour, Structure Visit us today! (:
    Follow on Facebook facebook.com/TheGeckoTree
    Gargoyle Geckos -Crested Geckos - Leachianus - Chahoua - Tarantulas - Nephrurus - African Fat Tails

Thanks

im sorry Cindy, I know those types of little boxes can get hot, the one for my latop gets seriously hot so I cant imagine how hot the incubator one got being it is running atll the time. Poor little baby. A tough lesson learned for something that wasnt intended.
    lets just say I have a lot of stuff
    www.sublimereptiles.com
    Facebook
    BOI

Thanks

Awwww, sorry this had to happen. Don't beat yourself up too much, At least you learned from the experience, and you helped everyone else by giving the information. RIP, little hatchling!
    Help! Crested Geckos! 0.1.Leachie, 2.1.1 Gargs, 1.0 Chahoua, 2.1. Blue Tongue Skinks, 1.1. White Lined Geckos, 1.3. African Fat Tails, 2.2.0 Tokay Geckos, 1.0. Giant Day Gecko, 2 tarantulas

Thanks

Rip little baby. dang lady. we know how well you take care of your babies. and to loose one is very sad and an accident. hugs
    Roxanne
    and the zoo
    www.geckoluv.com

Thanks

So sorry...that is the worst part about breeding...Thanks for the warning though.

Thanks

Sorry for your loss. Thanks for sharing - we learn from each other here and hopefully you have prevented others from having the same loss.
    Eric
    1.2.7.4 Rhacodactylus ciliatus
    1.0 Phelsuma laticauda

Thanks

So sad. Sorry Cin. RIP lil one
    Crestopia Reptiles
    http://crestopiareptiles.webs.com/

8.20.34.43 Crested Geckos, 2.2.0.4 Gargoyle Geckos, 0.2.0 Leachies, 2.0.1 Pictus Geckos, 0.1 AKSB, 0.0.1 RETF, 1.2.0 Dogs