Thread: Quarantining possibly gravid female

Thanks

Default Quarantining possibly gravid female

So I went to petco to take advantage of the $1 per gallon tank sale to get a 20L for my leopard gecko. Of course I wondered over to take a look at they're crested geckos and I see a beautiful green patternless female, needless to say I bought her. Anyway as I'm paying for her the cashier (who owns cresteds) tells me she's been laying eggs and she's about due to lay another clutch. I have a 37g that she'll eventually go in but I want to quarantine her in a large KK for a while, so my question is how do I prepare the KK for a possible gravid female (besides paper towel bottom and fake plants) should I put a small container with soil or other substrate in the KK?

Thanks

A large kk isnt quite large enough for an adult female, really they are only about 7 gallons. I would suggest trying to find her at least a 12 gallon tub to put her in for her QT to give her the added space she will need because that kk with a place for food, and an egg laying box will simply give her no space, she really needs something larger.

You will want to give her something like a food storage container, like a glad container, something that is about 6" x 4" x 4" or larger. You can use coco fibers, but they mold easily from my own experience. I personally use perlite, Scotts band without fertilizers in it.
    Last edited by Sublime Reptiles; 07-01-2010 at 04:52 PM.
    lets just say I have a lot of stuff
    www.sublimereptiles.com
    Facebook
    BOI

Thanks

Heres my green girl that I got from Petco a couple weeks ago, she's about 37 grams. Really sweet. Not gravid though, I don't think.

Thanks

You definatly need a larger container for her that a KK. I agree with Melissa get a tub from home depot or walmart. Theres many ways to turn those into QT tanks if you just search the cageing section. 66qts qould be apropriate for her a laybox and all the other things shes going to need.

Thanks

Hmm... I'm running out of room. I have an empty 29gal and 20gal, I really don't have extra room for another tank. She's going to have to stay in the KK overnight because I have to rebuild the stand for the 20L for my leopard gecko then I can put the regular 20 in the stand under my leo's tank. Thanks for all the help guys.

Thanks

So she's in the 20 gallon now, apparently fertilzer free perlite doesn't exist around here, I've tried Walmart, Home Depot, and Lowes they only had the perlite enriched with miracle grow plant food. So her laybox just has soil with no perlite or fertilizer mixed with sphagnum moss let me know if this won't work. I know crested geckos do not need any lighting over the enclosure but since she's gravid should I put her on a 12 hour light cycle?

Thanks

Even though they dont require heat, they will require a day cycle like any other species. Just be sure not to give her anything above a 25 watt light bulb. But if the room gets plenty of ambient light in it via windows and over all is a bright room, you wont need a light.
    lets just say I have a lot of stuff
    www.sublimereptiles.com
    Facebook
    BOI