Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Plants master list (rhac safe)

Hybrid View

Thanks

Arrow Plants master list (rhac safe)

This list has been floating around for the last few years ever since I first posted here. It was originally made so it could be added upon by members but when I first started working on it there was not a lot of people interested in doing planted tanks so it sort of fell to the way side. Since a lot more people seam to be interested in planted tanks now and it has been requested Im making this list into a sticky. Please feel free to add plant names by replying. I ask that you list the Latin and at least one common name (if it has one) also any care tips would be wonderful.

So far this is the list. As people reply I will add the names.

This list is a Rhac safe list. Make sure to double check each plant for stability and if you feed live feeders in the tank. Use with discretion.

Bromeliads:

*Aechmea fasciata (Urn plants/Silver Vase Bromeliad) – Large

*Billbergia nutans – (queens Tears) partial shade to bright indirect light

*Cryptanthus zonatus (Earth stars) – warm, humid, bright light

*Guzmania lingulata – warm, humid, bright light

*Nidularium – 12-15 inches, low to Med. Light

*Tillandsia – Air plant, warm & humid

*Vrisea splendens (sword bromeliads) Light shade

~Other Plants:

*Acalphya (copperleafs, chenille plants)

*Adiantum (maidenhair ferns) – cool and dry in winter

*Aglaonema (Chinese evergreens) – do well in low lights, highly recommended

*Alocasia (elephant ears) – must be kept moist, humid and warm, will either not do well or overgrow everything

*Asplenium (Bird’s nest fern) – moist soil, up to 3 feet high

*Bamboo - (live or dry) please the the Wikipedia article, way to much intresting info to list! Clippings will produice.

*Beaucarnea recurvata - (Ponytail Palms)

*Calathea zebrine - (Zebra plant) – moist moderate temps, moderate light

*Ceropegia woodii - (Rosary Vine,Hearts entangled, or String of hearts) Water thoroughly, and then allow the soil to completely dry out before watering again.

*Chlorophytum (spider plants) – average humidity, moderate light, should be allowed to get almost dry before watering

*Cissus (kangaroo vines, grape ivys) – no moist soil
    --- Cissus discolor- (rex begonia vine) colors on these leaves are gorgeous

*Codiaeum variegatum (often confused for Croton, because of this it is often labeled "croton" as a common name)

*Crassula ovata - (Jade Plant, Friendship tree or Money plant)Clippings will produice.

*Cyrtomium - (Holly ferns)

*Dracaena - (Dragon plants)

*Ficus (rubber trees, ornamental figs) should be washed of when dirty, do wellin spotlight, Use caution with any plant of the ficus family that has a "milky sap" when leafs/stems are broken, it is a skin and eye irratant.
    ---Ficus pumila var. quercifolia - Oak Leaf Creeping Fig
    creeping figs in general are good, there's a couple different varieties.

*Gynura aurantiaca - (purple passion) Medium light, good drainage. Sort of delicate.

*Maranta - (prayer plant) warm temps, high humidity

*Monolina primuliflora (Monolena)

*Pilea cadieri- creeping mass of tiny silver leaves 1/4" across. Easy to grow in terrarium conditions with well drained substrates.

*Peperomia - (radiator plant) some in this family are an epiphyte or air plant. Clippings will generally produice.

*Radermachera sinica - (China Doll)very difficult to root, Growth slowers used by nurserys will grow fast and less bushy.

*Sanseveria - (Snake Plants)aethiopica,caniculata,kirkii pulchra, parva, pinguicula, sinularis, thyrsiflora & trifasciata

*Scindapsus (Pothos) - looks like philodendron, very hardy. Clippings will produice.

*Schefflera arboricola - (Umbrella Plant)

*Seemania sylvatica- beautiful red fuzzy 1" flowers. Plants grow up to 12" tall and spread readily

*Spathiphyllum - (peace lilies) all lilys are toxic to cats *uses caution in tanks.

*Tradescantia zebrina - (wandering Jew/ spiderwart) Can cause skin iritation in humans when handeld frequently. Clippings will produice. Called inch plant because it can grow up to an inch a day!

*Pillow Moss- Moss is notoriously hard to keep alive and spread and requires a lot of light and water (probably too much than a Rhac would receive in the wild).

*****WARNING*****
    These plants have been claimed by some to be harmful in tanks with live animals. Some have been use with little to no problems, others are dangerous. Please use with caution or not at all.

*Hedera helix - (Ivy, English Ivy) This plant is nontoxic to birds but is toxic to humans. It is unknown what would happen when and if a feeder insect were to eat it then a reptile were to eat it in exchange.

*Philodendron- All parts of the plant are poisonous, due to the presence of calcium oxalate crystals. Make sure to double check this vs. Pothos, they look alike and are generally mix together at most plant stores. Some say that this plant is safe but from my reading I do not agree they are for all herps.

*Dieffenbachia - (Dumbcane) All parts of the plant are poisonous, due to the presence of calcium oxalate crystals. . It has been known to cause the death of cats, dogs, and small children. This plant is considered a neurotoxin.
    http://www.livingrainforest.org/abou...the-dumb-cane/

*Codiaeum variegatum and Croton look the same accept Croton (genus) Croton Oil is used as an active ingredient in facial chemical peels. Also in the past Croton oil was used in herbal medicine as a violent purgative. Some have claimed is has killed their pets.

*Dracunculus vulgaris (aka Arum dracunculus) aslo Voodoo Lily. Roots and other parts of the plant are listed as toxic.

*Begonia's-they are known to be poisonous to cats and dogs, but the roots are the main danger. This plant is used in tons of Dart frog tanks and have not been noticed as any danger. Since the root is the dangerous part is maybe best not to use them in with females that may look to lay eggs (good or duds) in the roots.

* Hemigraphis alternata - (purple waffle) Medium light, high water great for some herps BUT Handling plant may cause skin irritation or allergic reaction in some people. Not knowen how it will affect Rhacs.

Even if a plant is listed as 'toxic if eaten' don't believe for a moment your animal won't lick the plant or eat an insect that's eaten the plant. Be very careful with them.

Note on store bought plants: Make sure to wash any plant you bring into your home. Remove all soil and wash with room temp to cool water and a drop of dawn dish soap. This will remove any pesticides and/or bugs that could cause problems with your herps.

exoticangel.com is one of the suppliers for lowes and some home depots. If you see a plant on the web page that you would like most times if you ask at the store they will order it for you.
    Last edited by Lunar Gecko; 10-21-2010 at 01:55 PM.
    Sarah & Jake
    LunarGecko.net
    Feel free to check out our Fauna reviews or follow us on FaceBook!
    You can also check out most of our animals on our iherp page.

Thanks

Here's some more

Monolina primuliflora (Monolena)
    Begonia's-they are known to be poisonous to cats and dogs, but the roots are the main danger...to be safe this should probably be on the poisonous list.
    Seemania sylvatica- beautiful red fuzzy 1" flowers. Plants grow up to 12" tall and spread readily
    Pilea cadieri- creeping mass of tiny silver leaves 1/4" across. Easy to grow in terrarium conditions with well drained substrates.
    Cissus discolor- (rex begonia vine) colors on these leaves are gorgeous
    Ficus pumila var. quercifolia - Oak Leaf Creeping Fig
    creeping figs in general are good, there's a couple different varieties.

Also, I don't believe pillow moss needs high light, most mosses need low light to grow well.
    Here are some general moss growing guidelines
    Moss needs adequate moisture and humidity
    Shade (no direct UV lighting)
    Thrives best with a soil pH of 5.0 - 5.5

If you're really really into moss and want to try something neat that is cheap and easy to do check this method out!
    How to Grow Moss for Your Garden
    Difficulty: Easy
    Instructions

1. Put a handful of the moss you want to grow into a blender.
    2. Add 1/2 tsp. sugar and one can of beer. You can substitute buttermilk for beer if you want.
    3. Blend just long enough to mix the ingredients and break down the moss.
    4. Spread the soupy mixture with a spatula over the ground or rocks where you want the moss to grow.
    Rhachic
    www.goodlifeherps.weebly.com
    specializing in rhacodactylus

Thanks

Begonia's-they are known to be poisonous to cats and dogs, but the roots are the main danger...to be safe this should probably be on the poisonous list.
    Really? I never came across that info. Thanks for the update. I'm adding it to the master list so people can just copy and paste then take to the store. Also will be adding a few others I have been using.
    Sarah & Jake
    LunarGecko.net

Thanks

Rhachic
    www.goodlifeherps.weebly.com
    specializing in rhacodactylus

Thanks

Can anyone make a shorter list of what is safe, easy to care for and readily available at places such as Jewel, Albertson's, Walmart, Home Depot??
    I am not going into a nursery cause of the prices and I don't know plants very well!
    Also, if anyone has any readily available...photos or links to any would be AWSOME!!
    Dana
    Custom Backgrounds & Terrariums/Tanks www.danasdesigns.weebly.com
    3.4.3.4 Cresties, 0.2 Corn snake, 1.1 Kitties

Thanks

Most of the gecko safe plants listed on this website
    NE Herp
    are available at your local Home Depot or Lowes, except for the bromeliads. Or at least during the spring and summer they are. Right now it's hard to find any good plants.
    The zoo
    3.1.0 R. Auriculatus, 1.0.0 R. Chahoua PI, 0.0.3 T. Corticale, 1.1.0 peacock reed tree frog, 1.1 gray banded king snakes, 0.1 snow corn snake, 1.0 beige chinchilla, 1.0 boxer, 1.0 French bulldog

Thanks

Thanks michelle!!
    Dana
    Custom Backgrounds & Terrariums/Tanks www.danasdesigns.weebly.com
    3.4.3.4 Cresties, 0.2 Corn snake, 1.1 Kitties

Thanks

I take it bromeliads cannot be found in ANY stores right now, correct?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rickets View Post
    I take it bromeliads cannot be found in ANY stores right now, correct?
    I just got two from lowes.....the only issue I found once I got home was that they had used fertilizer on them so I completely washed all of the original soil off and replanted them in the terrarium( no cresteds are in there yet) Does anyone know if that should be enough even though the plants have probably injested some fertilizer? I would assume most plants are brought up on fertilizer to help them grow and mature faster. The only thing that worries me is somehow the cresteds will bite the leaves or something on the plant and ingest fertilizer that way.
    4.4.6 Rhacodactylus ciliatus
    0.1.1 Rhacodactylus Chahoua (PI)
    1.0.0 Strophurus Taenicauda (White Eye)
    1.0.0 Strophurus C. Ciliaris

Thanks

From first post -

Note on store bought plants: Make sure to wash any plant you bring into your home. Remove all soil and wash with room temp to cool water and a drop of dawn dish soap. This will remove any pesticides and/or bugs that could cause problems with your herps.
    This is the same for fertilizers.
    Sarah & Jake
    LunarGecko.net