• Crickets

5 19.23%
  • Roaches

21 80.77%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dubia Roaches or Crickets?

Thanks

Lightbulb Dubia Roaches or Crickets?

I was just curious on everyone's views and opinions on roaches vs. crickets. I know that some benefits of roaches are you can raise your own colony, they can't climb the glass, they are quiet, and they look nifty after they molt. One benefit of crickets is that they aren't roaches. I can deal with just about any bug no problem, but roaches just creep me out. Does anyone have any experience raising roaches? I'm not sure how I feel about owning a "roach farm", but are they difficult to breed?

Thanks!

Will

Thanks

I really love my roaches. So much better than crickets.
    I found that these guys are really easy to breed, just have a bit of heat. They eat a variety of food, and go crazy over CGD(dry or mixed form). I will never go back to feeding crickets again.
    3.6.3 R. ciliatus; 0.1 R. leachianus; 1.1.1 G. gecko; 1.0 G. ulikovskii
    0.1 Heterodon nasicus
    1.1 Eumeces schneideri; 0.0.3 Bombina orientalis; 0.0.2 Archispirostreptus gigas

Thanks

Roaches are a million times better than crickets. They don't stink, chirp, are more nutritious, and stay alive way longer than crickets do. All you have to do is add heat and food every couple days and your colony will thrive. The only downside to roaches is that they're roaches and for whatever reason that gives people the creeps. They're a bug just like crickets are.
    For my cresteds I prefer blatta lateralis roaches. When I feed dubias they tend to hide under the paper towel and never come out. The lateralis usually run around til they're eaten. Plus the adults are perfect size for cresties.

Thanks

Roaches hands down! For all the reasons cited above. I feed my geckos outside their cage so I don't have to worry about the roaches hiding in the gecko cages. I do have a few geckos that are a little shy and for those I put the roaches in a plastic deli cup and stick them in the cage. The roaches can't climb the walls of the cup so it works perfect!
    - Levi

1.2.5 Crested Geckos (Fidget, Sprinkles, Midget, Foxy, Chili, Skittles, Poppler, and Perdie)
    0.0.1 gargoyle (Pickles)

Thanks

I hate to be "that guy" but I think somebody should come in and establish a roach species this discussion is about, considering there are many commonly available with varying attributes. I'm assuming we are talking about b.dubia here, and yes they are an excellent feeder overall. The only major problem with them is that they seem to understand their place on the food chain, and are quick to hunker down and hide. This is probably the only area in the comparison where crickets have an advantage, otherwise dubia roaches excel in every other area as a feeder.
    -Charles Mullen
    I'm looking for really nice chahoua.

Thanks

Here are my pros and cons of crickets vs. Roaches

Crickets
    ----Pros
    -Variety of ideal sizes
    -soft shell
    -don't hide/bury themselves

----Cons
    -Hard to breed (for me anyways)
    -Expensive to buy
    -Not a good shell to meat ratio
    -Can carry parasites
    -smell, chirp, etc.

Blaptica dubia
    ----Pros
    -Good meat to shell ratio
    -long living
    -Don't get too large
    -Can't climb/fly
    -Easy to breed

----Cons
    -Like to bunker down
    -Harder shell (giving smaller geckos a problem)
    -Slow producer

Blatta lateralis
    ----Pros
    -Soft shell
    -Similar sizes to crickets
    -Fast reproducer
    -Easy to breed
    -Can'y fly/climb

---Cons
    -Really Fast
    -Seem to get into everything
    -Dirty

Hope this helps, I'm sure I missed some things, feel free to add to it.

Derek
    Derek Dunlop
    DDReptiles
    www.DDReptiles.net
    Croc's Rule- Steve Irwin

7. The Following User Says Thank You to DDReptiles For This Useful Post:

crestiegirl91 (12-12-2012)

Thanks

I'm new to crested geckos, but have kept leopard geckos for seven years. I always fed a combination of crickets and meal worms. I really hate crickets, and am intrigued by the idea of feeding roaches instead. It seems like the trend in the gecko world lately is that more and more people are switching to roaches.

Thanks

I won't repeat the things that have already been said. I've kept several species of roaches over the years including dubias, lateralis, discoids, and hissers. I currently use dubias and lateralis for most of my feeding needs. The one thing about feeding the roaches that "bugs" me is that it's difficult to sort them according to size. Picking out individuals of the proper size takes too much time. Knocking a bunch into a dusting cup will give you a wide variety of sizes.... some too small and some too large. I just pick out the right sized ones and dump the rest back in, but it's a bit time consuming. Once in a while I'll order a 1,000 crickets for a change of pace, and it always amazes me how fast feeding goes when I use the crickets. I've also got a couple of gecko species which show a marked preference for crickets, so the change of pace once in a while is good for them.

I certainly wouldn't like to keep a permanent colony of crickets in the house because of the smell and noise, and I wouldn't want to have to buy them all of the time because the cost would be prohibitive, but I do like them as a change of pace every now and then.
    Gary Hamann
    Ridge and Valley Reptiles

www.ridgeandvalleyreptiles.com

Thanks

delete...
    Last edited by sciteacher; 06-27-2010 at 01:22 PM. Reason: oops. Somehow double posted.
    Gary Hamann
    Ridge and Valley Reptiles

www.ridgeandvalleyreptiles.com

Thanks

Unfortunately I have some geckos that do not care for B. Dubia and will only eat crickets. If it wasn't for them I would never purchase/touch another cricket because the roaches are easier, smell better, don't make as much noise, and have a higher nutritional content.

As others have said, their tendency to "hunker down" and dig or not move can make them hard to feed off.
    Charming Chewies: Specializing in Grand Terre and Pine Isle locales of chahoua.