Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How long do you wait after a hatchling slits its egg open before you help it out??

Thanks

I found a great thread which explained the difference between pipping and egg slitting here:
    http://www.pangeareptile.com/forums/...hlight=pipping

I can't answer you second question, maybe one of the other members can.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Thundergeck View Post

Of the clutches that have hatched so far the breakdown goes like this:
    Clutch #1- first egg hatched, second egg began to mold and smell-- I cut it open and found a dead hatchling
    Clutch # 2- again first egg hatched, second egg began to mold and smell-- I cut it open and found a dead hatchling
    Clutch #3- first egg hatched, second egg infertile-- I cut it open and found nothing more than egg goop
    Clutch #4- both eggs hatched two days apart from each other
    Clutch #5- first egg hatched, second hatchling slit egg open then died in egg
    Clutch #6- both eggs hatched one day apart from each other
    Clutch #7- first egg hatched yesterday, waiting for second egg to hatch (no signs of pipping and no slits in egg yet)

On a side note all of my breeders this year are virgins, could that explain the three in egg deaths?

Again thanks for all the advice!!

-
    I think too that this is not bad for a first year breeder. I had similar results last year with a new female. This year all my first year breeders have had all fertile eggs laid.
    I did have a female that has been bred for two seasons, have some infertile eggs this season though... weird.
    Good luck with your second egg that is due to hatch. Don't get discouraged, sometimes it is longer than the day after the first one hatches! Just let it go until it caves in or smells.

Thanks

Thundergeck: Thanks for the very informative post. This is something all new breeders should read.
    Eric
    1.2.7.4 Rhacodactylus ciliatus
    1.0 Phelsuma laticauda

Thanks

I agree with Midland. This whole thread is very informative for first-timers or those considering breeding in the near future (like me)!!
    2.4.1 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Zappa, Basset, Mo, Sprocket, Sparrow, Ellie, Jenga) 0.0.1 Rhacodactylus auriculatus (Dr. Doctor) 1.0.0 Pogona vitticeps (Xander) 0.1.0 Eublepharis macularius (Gaia) 1.1.0 Hemitheconyx caudicinctus (Oluyemi, Yoruba) 1.0.0 Chamaeleo calyptratus (Faizal) Fish tank [15g] (betta Sputnik, many apple snails, and nameless mollies)

Thanks

My observation is that I have had a couple of babies pip out and it looks like the egg yolk gets in the way and they don't make it. My guess is if you don't see a nostril, cut it open right there and then!!!!
    Roxanne
    and the zoo
    www.geckoluv.com

Thanks

Thanks again for all the advice, opinions, and cudos!

Oh... I don't know why I didn't mention this before but in regards to the hatchling that slit its egg open then died in the egg, when I opened the egg I grabbed the pointed part of the "V" shaped slit and peeled the egg shell back. But the hatchlings tail end was at the opening and its head was at the other end of the egg. I don't understand why a gecko would slit the egg open then turn itself around in the egg.... Geckos never hatch tail end first correct?

On a brighter note, the second egg of the clutch I've been waiting to hatch is hatching as I type.. 4 days after its clutchmate.. super stoked... only halfway out of its shell but so far its a perfect pinner... we'll see if the pin breaks up towards the tail end like its clutchmate!