Thread: First Hatchling!!!!!

Thanks

Default First Hatchling!!!!!

Earlier I saw a slight movement out of the corner of my eye, looked over, and my first egg had hatched! He's a beautiful little guy, but I've never done this before. Right now he's very active. I'm keeping him in a small kritter keeper with bottle caps with water and CGD. The room he's in is pretty warm (around 78 degrees), and I've misted him down. Are there any warning signs to watch for, or any tips people have?

Thanks

People know a lot more than me about hatchlings - like you I am in it for the first time (second soon hopefull). However, one thing I was told is that they have a built in food resevoir in their stomachs that support then for the first few days so do not worry if they take a little while to feed. Be sure to have paper towels so you can check for stool to be sure he is eating. I put a little dab of cgd on their noses to get them eating after a few days but I avoid handling them to do so (I take out the egg crate and all and leave them on that). They are very quick at this age and can be hard to handle. A lot of debate seems to be out there about what age is appropriate to start handling them. I waited a few weeks before I started to and even then I started by just taking them out the egg crate and leaving them on that - a few times later I handled them but for only a few minutes and then gradually lengthened how long I handled them for.

Enjoy the babies!
    Eric
    1.2.7.4 Rhacodactylus ciliatus
    1.0 Phelsuma laticauda

Thanks

I was so excited I was literally shaking for a while! I've had eggs before, but this is the first that's hatched, so without even thinking I held the little guy.... he definately didn't want to get off my hand, and getting him off me and into his cage was difficult! he seems to be drinking the water droplets off the side of the cage, so at least I know he's getting water. Is it dangerous for him to be on forest bedding at this age?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by trivialaspersion View Post
    . Is it dangerous for him to be on forest bedding at this age?
    IMO, yes absolutely. To keep a better eye on him I would highly suggest paper towel.
    Ariel- 20/F/WA
    iHerp
    Website
    9.11.0.2 Crested Geckos//1.2.5.5 Tokay Gecko//1.0.0 Day Gecko
    1.0.0 White spot gecko//0.2.0 Rose Hair Tarantulas
    1.1.0 Suntiger Tarantula//0.0.1 Versi color
    0.0.1 Regalis//0.1.O THRIXOPELMA OCKERTI
    0.1.0 Hairless Rat//0.1.0 Albino Rat//1.0.0 Betta//2.1.0 Cats//0.0.1 Pac Man Frog

Thanks

alright, I changed him over to paper towels, and he seems to have wedged himself under the wood I put in there. I managed to get a couple of good pictures of him too!
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Thanks

alright, I changed him over to paper towels, and he seems to have wedged himself under the wood I put in there. I managed to get a couple of good pictures of him too!
    Cuuute, how big of enclosure do you have him in? Has he had his first shed?
    Ariel- 20/F/WA
    iHerp
    Website
    0.1.0 Hairless Rat//0.1.0 Albino Rat//1.0.0 Betta//2.1.0 Cats//0.0.1 Pac Man Frog

Thanks

right now he's only in a small kritter keeper cuz he's only 1.5 inches long, and so I can keep an eye on him for a while. It looks like he's starting to shed... I fear he may have shed a day or 2 ago and I failed to notice, since I wasn't expecting him to come out for a few more weeks! He seems well enough though. How soon after hatching do they usually have their first shed?

Thanks

right now he's only in a small kritter keeper cuz he's only 1.5 inches long, and so I can keep an eye on him for a while. It looks like he's starting to shed... I fear he may have shed a day or 2 ago and I failed to notice, since I wasn't expecting him to come out for a few more weeks! He seems well enough though. How soon after hatching do they usually have their first shed?
    They shed 2 or 3 days out of the egg, judging by what I've read. A small KK will be good for awhile. Congrats!
    Ariel- 20/F/WA
    iHerp
    Website

Thanks

Super Awesome. Congratulations on hatching your little gecko.

Thanks

He looks very cute - congrats!
    Eric
    1.2.7.4 Rhacodactylus ciliatus
    1.0 Phelsuma laticauda