Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glass Maintenance ?

Thanks

Question Glass Maintenance ?

Hi all,
    What do you use for cleaning water marks of glass?
    Also, Do geckos need any of the minerals from their misting water, because if you use pure water with 0ppm as opposed to spring water 140ppm we would not keep getting water marks, what are your thoughts and have any of you tried this?
    Thanks,
    Deanoce
    Crestie's:1.1.8.2
    Fish: 2 Angelfish, 2 Platinum Angelfish

Thanks

I belive almost everyone on the forum uses distilled or reverse osmosis water. Those who don't clean water marks off with vinager water and sometimes a raiser blade depending on savarity.

Thanks

I know pretty much everyone in my state uses tap or regular water. I get water spots from my new house (been here a year and a half) because the water is harder. I just scrape it with a razor blade, thats the best way I've found. Its annoying as heck, and labor intensive. You can also spray with a vinegar solution and let it set, but make sure you rinse well. And again, there's no real way to prevent the water spots other than switching to the RO. I would figure that as long as you're feeding them CGD, they should be OK if you do switch to purified/RO water.
    Just keep an eye on tails that may kink, and if they do, add a dish of calcium powder (Phosphorus-free and no d3).
    It would be interesting to run an experiment for a month or so, misting half cresties with regular water, and the other half with the RO and see if anything like tail kinks happen. Hmmmm
    Help! Crested Geckos! 0.1.Leachie, 2.1.1 Gargs, 1.0 Chahoua, 2.1. Blue Tongue Skinks, 1.1. White Lined Geckos, 1.3. African Fat Tails, 2.2.0 Tokay Geckos, 1.0. Giant Day Gecko, 2 tarantulas

Thanks

RO water has basically NOTHING in it so when the geckos drink it they are not getting the needed minerals. Yes it makes your tanks look better and saves you some work... but DI imho is a better water source. Leaves much less hard water build up on the walls of the tank and has a bit more of the needed things. Mostly for now I'm just using conditioned water and scrape down the sides with a razor I got from home depot. Its made with a handle so it makes scraping things easy.
    Sarah & Jake
    LunarGecko.net
    Feel free to check out our Fauna reviews or follow us on FaceBook!
    You can also check out most of our animals on our iherp page.

Thanks

I use conditioned tap water and scrape tanks down with a razor blade as well. The vinegar solution has never really worked for me. Maybe I don't have the patience to let it sit when it's just as easy to scrape it off.

Thanks

I'm going to begin using distilled water to spray my tanks to avoid the hard water stains on the glass. I currently keep a water dish in each of my cresties cages and have seen them all drink from these dishes which I use dechlorinated tap water in. So I feel it is safe to do so without my cresties losing the beneficial minerals in their drinking water. So the spray water is to keep the humidity up and the water dishes provides the drinking water. In my live tanks I also use the tap water for the plants.
    - Levi

1.2.5 Crested Geckos (Fidget, Sprinkles, Midget, Foxy, Chili, Skittles, Poppler, and Perdie)
    0.0.1 gargoyle (Pickles)

Thanks

I spray with distilled water from my dehumidifier and put tap water in their water bowl. That way they get the best of both worlds.
    Eric
    1.2.7.4 Rhacodactylus ciliatus
    1.0 Phelsuma laticauda

Thanks

I use conditioned tap water for drinking, mixing CGD, and spraying. So far I haven't had any problems! I wipe down my tanks with a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser every time I do tank cleanings...makes them look SUPER nice!! It's an awesome product!
    2.4.1 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Zappa, Basset, Mo, Sprocket, Sparrow, Ellie, Jenga) 0.0.1 Rhacodactylus auriculatus (Dr. Doctor) 1.0.0 Pogona vitticeps (Xander) 0.1.0 Eublepharis macularius (Gaia) 1.1.0 Hemitheconyx caudicinctus (Oluyemi, Yoruba) 1.0.0 Chamaeleo calyptratus (Faizal) Fish tank [15g] (betta Sputnik, many apple snails, and nameless mollies)

Thanks

Qzumaki: Does the Mr. Clean magic eraser have any chemicals on it that could harm the geckos? Or did you mean you just use it on the outside of the tank?
    Eric
    1.2.7.4 Rhacodactylus ciliatus
    1.0 Phelsuma laticauda

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Midland View Post
    Qzumaki: Does the Mr. Clean magic eraser have any chemicals on it that could harm the geckos? Or did you mean you just use it on the outside of the tank?
    I should have made that more clear! For all of the reptiles I use it on the outside only (I use Jurassi-Clean and water on the inside). From what I understand, the chemicals in the eraser are actually pretty benign, but who knows what they would do to a creature a fraction of human size!! I usually end up with water stains inside and outside the tanks, just due to all of the spraying, and the magic eraser is GREAT for making the surfaces look brand-new!

I <3 Mr. Clean.
    2.4.1 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Zappa, Basset, Mo, Sprocket, Sparrow, Ellie, Jenga) 0.0.1 Rhacodactylus auriculatus (Dr. Doctor) 1.0.0 Pogona vitticeps (Xander) 0.1.0 Eublepharis macularius (Gaia) 1.1.0 Hemitheconyx caudicinctus (Oluyemi, Yoruba) 1.0.0 Chamaeleo calyptratus (Faizal) Fish tank [15g] (betta Sputnik, many apple snails, and nameless mollies)