Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how to cool in the summer

Thanks

They can tolerate up to about 85. I wouldnt' let it get hotter than that for much longer than a couple hours if you can avoid it. I had two tail losses and two hatchling deaths last year when we had a hideous heat wave where it got to 113 during several days. I haaaaate the heat. I kept mine in the bathroom (coolest room in the middle of the house) and put the cages in the bathtub with ice cubes on the screen lids and cold packs around the base of the tanks in teh tub. I ended up having to "board" my whole collection of Rhacs at a friend's basement that has central air conditioning.
    I'm looking at small ac window units soon, as the weather is getting muggy and warm. Yuk! I hate summer...
    Help! Crested Geckos! 0.1.Leachie, 2.1.1 Gargs, 1.0 Chahoua, 2.1. Blue Tongue Skinks, 1.1. White Lined Geckos, 1.3. African Fat Tails, 2.2.0 Tokay Geckos, 1.0. Giant Day Gecko, 2 tarantulas

Thanks

Well I got my window AC installed just one problem. The AC is now taking the humidity out of the air. Oh its a never ending battle!

Thanks

i have 5 crested geckos and no shad trees and when it hit 80 outside i looked on craigslist and found a nice window a/c for 40.00 it keeps the room nice

Thanks

We just moved into a new apartment a few weeks ago. Right now it is 94 degrees in the reptile area. My desert critters are very happy, but I'm struggling to keep the cresties cool enough. Right now they're all hiding under leaves, under paper towels, in caves...whatever they can find to keep them out of the heat (although that doesn't really work, since it's also at 52% humidity and the moisture is letting the heat permeate the whole apartment). I'm going to try the ice cube trick. Glad this thread was started, because I'm having a really hard time keeping them cool, despite my roommates and I taking ALL of our fans and pointing them at the geckos (at our own expense...we're baking in here!!).
    2.4.1 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Zappa, Basset, Mo, Sprocket, Sparrow, Ellie, Jenga) 0.0.1 Rhacodactylus auriculatus (Dr. Doctor) 1.0.0 Pogona vitticeps (Xander) 0.1.0 Eublepharis macularius (Gaia) 1.1.0 Hemitheconyx caudicinctus (Oluyemi, Yoruba) 1.0.0 Chamaeleo calyptratus (Faizal) Fish tank [15g] (betta Sputnik, many apple snails, and nameless mollies)

Thanks

0.2.0 Crested Geckos-Cornelius:aka Doodles, Sweetums, Little Miss and Nibbler:aka BooBoo, Miss Boo and SqueakaBoo
    1.0.0 FBT-Spartacus

1.1.0 Humans-Oscar Roland and Alice Scarlett