Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how to cool in the summer

Thanks

Default how to cool in the summer

So its slowly getting warmer where I live and last summer I just had one gecko to try and keep cool but with any luck this time tomorrow I'll have another one (3 in total). I don't have central AC in my house and last summer my house got very hot. I'm hoping it wont be as bad this year after i re insulated the attic. Fingers crossed for keeping some heat out. I took a thermometer reading in my attic last year and it was 50C (122F!). So I hope the extra r20 in there will keep some of that hot heat out. Anyways

One thing that I did last year was every morning before I went to work on hot days. I'd put a bottle or two of frozen water in the bottom of my 30 gallon hex tank to try and at least provide some coolness. I know it didn't bother my gecko since she would be hanging out in the vines in the top during the day.

I came home one day and found it to be 35C (95F) in my living room (luckily not the room where I keep my geckos). So I do have some concerns. Between the frozen water bottle and a oscillating fan in my gecko room it seemed to be ok but I still worry.

Just wondering other peoples experiences. I'm sure some of you live in apartments and houses that get pretty toasty

Thanks

Can you get an a/c window unit to cool the room?

Thanks

We ended up just getting a small window AC unit, not big enough to cool the whole apartment but enough to keep the main area where the little guys are cool enough. You can get them on sale sometimes at Walmart for less than $100.
    0.2.0 Crested Geckos-Cornelius:aka Doodles, Sweetums, Little Miss and Nibbler:aka BooBoo, Miss Boo and SqueakaBoo
    1.0.0 FBT-Spartacus

1.1.0 Humans-Oscar Roland and Alice Scarlett

Thanks

WHAT IS TOO HOT A TEMP THAT YOUR GECKO CANNOT BE AT?

MY GECKO IS USUALLY AT ABOUT 70-75 BEING AT 74 CONSTANT AND THEN DROPPING NOW AND THEN BUT RECECNTLY IT HAS BEEN GETTING UP 78 AND STAYING AT ABOUT 77. IS THAT WELL TO HOT OR JUST A BIT TO HOT? HOW CAN I COOL IT DOWN?

Ahhhh, just reliezed this hwole post was in caps, sorry
    my batchelor pad
    1.0.0 crested gecko luna (think male but still love name luna)
    1.0.0 corn snake monty
    1.0.0 cocker spaniel jake

getting another crestie this year

Thanks

Reptiledanny- Peaking temps at 78 is nothing to worry about you are ok. When you start pushing past about 82-84 on a regular basis then it is time to start searching for cool down options imo.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Talkenlate04 View Post
    Reptiledanny- Peaking temps at 78 is nothing to worry about you are ok. When you start pushing past about 82-84 on a regular basis then it is time to start searching for cool down options imo.
    thanks, i just wondered if the temp was to high if it was staying at 78. what is the best temp to be at all the time? 75?
    my batchelor pad
    1.0.0 crested gecko luna (think male but still love name luna)
    1.0.0 corn snake monty
    1.0.0 cocker spaniel jake

getting another crestie this year

Thanks

just like nature, a fluctuating temp throughout the day is ok, I try to keep my room (where my geckos are) no higher than 78 and no lower than 68.
    1 man dreamed of becoming, another awoke and became

7.10.7.11 crested geckos
    0.1 gargoyle gecko (fry)
    1.0 leopard gecko (lucky)
    0.1 (I think) ocelated skink (slinky)

Thanks

Thanks guys. Looks like I'll keep an eye open for a cheap AC

Thanks

if your in a bind & need cool air, take a tub of cold water 5-6 inches deep hang a towel in the center of it so the towel will suck water up & put a fan blowing onto the towel..I made a "home made" ac unit once..lol Took like 40 2" strips of felt put them in a square kinda picture frame deal place the bottom 1/4 of it in a tub of salt water & ice cubes with a fan blowing thru the strips of felt...Worked pretty good..lol
    3.1.0 Cresties 1.1.1 Cats 1.1.0 Kids

Peace
    Jay

Thanks

I try not to let my tanks get over 78, I find if they are sitting at 80 or creeping over then I'll put a bunch of icecubes on top of the screen and let the melt into the tank or wrap a frozen bottle of water in a teatowel and put it in the tank. I usually have tons of ice and frozen bottles during the summer!
    0.2.0 Crested Geckos-Cornelius:aka Doodles, Sweetums, Little Miss and Nibbler:aka BooBoo, Miss Boo and SqueakaBoo
    1.0.0 FBT-Spartacus

1.1.0 Humans-Oscar Roland and Alice Scarlett