Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forced cooling

Thanks

Default Forced cooling

As I have posted in passing in another thread, and as I have talked about to some of you I have a female who has lost about 10 grams since the beginning of the breeding season. For a little background, her calcium sacks are fine, had her checked out by the vet, nothing anomylus and the fecal was fine. I've also been hand feeding her a few times a week and her weight has remained steady but still low. She is living with others now and has previously as well. However I am going to get her her own tub tank before the end of the weekend.

She has actually has only started laying this year and never really before. She's started dropping some horrible duds (which is odd cause her calcium sacs look great according to the vet) and I'm trying to think of ways to get her to cool and stop laying. Has anyone found some fairly reliable methods of forced cooling during this time of year?
    ~History teaches us that virgins are valuable, if for no other reason than angry volcano gods all seem to find them delicious~
    I've got lots of critters including Cresteds Geckos, Gargoyle Geckos, Ball Pythons, Rosy Boas Russian Tortoises, and more!

Geektastic Reptiles' Facebook page

Thanks

Commenting so I can also see the answer if anyone knows what to do...wish I could help you out, PaganJew!!
    2.4.1 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Zappa, Basset, Mo, Sprocket, Sparrow, Ellie, Jenga) 0.0.1 Rhacodactylus auriculatus (Dr. Doctor) 1.0.0 Pogona vitticeps (Xander) 0.1.0 Eublepharis macularius (Gaia) 1.1.0 Hemitheconyx caudicinctus (Oluyemi, Yoruba) 1.0.0 Chamaeleo calyptratus (Faizal) Fish tank [15g] (betta Sputnik, many apple snails, and nameless mollies)

Thanks

Having good calcium levels does not always translate to properly formed eggs. I had a few first time breeder females this year give me nothing but ugly under calcified eggs all year. In most cases I let them run their course and they stopped laying on their own. How many clutches has your gal dropped so far?

I have been experimenting with forced cooling using my refrigerator. It stopped the two females I tested it on from laying right in the middle of this season and they have gone 2-3 months without laying another clutch despite being in the reptile room which is quite warm.

I have not dialed in the exact duration and temps that would be preferred, but I will be playing with this method some more in the near future. The two females I did test it out on are eating well and doing just fine now just no eggs!

I must stress that I am not recommending you do this. I am tinkering with this forced cool down method on my own and I still have to observe long term behaviors/health to ensure it is safe before I would recommend anyone else try it. But so far my results are very promising.

Thanks

This female has dropped 4 clutches this year. However, in the past 4 years I've had her she might have dropped 2 clutches, she's always been kept with a cage mate and they could have been hers.
    ~History teaches us that virgins are valuable, if for no other reason than angry volcano gods all seem to find them delicious~
    I've got lots of critters including Cresteds Geckos, Gargoyle Geckos, Ball Pythons, Rosy Boas Russian Tortoises, and more!

Geektastic Reptiles' Facebook page

Thanks

Pardon my ignorance...but...do you actually stick the GECKOS in the fridge? I'm assuming that if that's the case, it's a very brief visit!! Can you explain your experiment?
    2.4.1 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Zappa, Basset, Mo, Sprocket, Sparrow, Ellie, Jenga) 0.0.1 Rhacodactylus auriculatus (Dr. Doctor) 1.0.0 Pogona vitticeps (Xander) 0.1.0 Eublepharis macularius (Gaia) 1.1.0 Hemitheconyx caudicinctus (Oluyemi, Yoruba) 1.0.0 Chamaeleo calyptratus (Faizal) Fish tank [15g] (betta Sputnik, many apple snails, and nameless mollies)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by qzumaki View Post
    Pardon my ignorance...but...do you actually stick the GECKOS in the fridge? I'm assuming that if that's the case, it's a very brief visit!! Can you explain your experiment?
    Yes it does involve the gecko spending an amount of time in the fridge. I am still working on how many times it would need to be repeated, but I started with 6 times per female, 3x a week for two weeks total and had success. When I try again I will reduce the number of times to 4 and see if that is still effective in stopping production. I will repeat that until I come up with a minimum number of repetitions that will still yield the desired results and maybe add one. The duration is still being worked on as well, but it is longer than you would think and closely monitored.
    So far like I mentioned no ill effects have been observed but egg production has been stopped in it's tracks and the females in question gained weight nicely in the weeks after.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Talkenlate04 View Post
    Yes it does involve the gecko spending an amount of time in the fridge. I am still working on how many times it would need to be repeated, but I started with 6 times per female, 3x a week for two weeks total and had success. When I try again I will reduce the number of times to 4 and see if that is still effective in stopping production. I will repeat that until I come up with a minimum number of repetitions that will still yield the desired results and maybe add one. The duration is still being worked on as well, but it is longer than you would think and closely monitored.
    So far like I mentioned no ill effects have been observed but egg production has been stopped in it's tracks and the females in question gained weight nicely in the weeks after.
    That's very interesting!! I'm curious...are we talking ten minutes, or an hour, or more?

Thanks

Plus, what temperature is the fridge set at?

And speaking of your experiments - how have the geckos being doing that you were feeding worms to?
    Eric
    1.2.7.4 Rhacodactylus ciliatus
    1.0 Phelsuma laticauda

Thanks

That's very interesting!! I'm curious...are we talking ten minutes, or an hour, or more?
    I have done up to 20 minutes but 15 seems to be what I have stuck to the most. I'll go into more detail when I have completed everything.

The earthworms? The geckos that take them are thriving and go crazy for them.

Thanks

Thanks for posting your experiments - they are interesting and I might try the worms myself at some point and time so long as I am sure I have a chemical free source.
    Eric
    1.2.7.4 Rhacodactylus ciliatus
    1.0 Phelsuma laticauda