Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Crested Gecko

9 45.00%
  • Gargoyle Gecko

5 25.00%
  • Undecided

6 30.00%

Thread: Crested Gecko or Gargoyle Gecko?

Thanks

Default Crested Gecko or Gargoyle Gecko?

I will be getting a gecko towards the end of the year, and I had my heart set on a Crested Gecko.

But, it turns out, that Gargoyle geckos can be very sweet and tame. I only get more confused as time goes by! >.<

I want a gecko that will sit and relax with me, basically like a bump on a log. I just really want a gecko that will sit on me and just chill out.

What will be better, Crested Gecko or Gargoyle Gecko?

~ Mackenzie
    ~ Mac(kenzie)

Thanks

I chose undecided because it really depends more on the individual than the species in this case IMO. While they can be quite tame, please remember that these are not like dogs or cats that will sit on your lap all day.

You can take either of them out and hold them but I would not hold them all day every day, something like that could easily stress a gecko out.

Good luck making a decision!

Thanks

Yep, what Jennifer said is true. They aren't like puppies... and they can't be held a whole lot without experiencing stress.

My vote would be chahoua though. Everyone who knows me here knew I would say that.
    But yeah, truly, it depends on the geckos personality... I have 3 super nice gargoyles who tolerate handling, are sweet and calm. I have 1 gargoyle who does NOT like to come out of his cage!! So I leave him be 95% of the time.
    I have cresteds that are the same way!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~ JENN ~
    1 Daughter ~
    1 Chihuahua Cookie
    1.2 Pine Isle Chahouas Shrek Sugar & Spice
    1.2 Cresteds MrGoodbar Lollipop TootsieRoll
    1.0 Gargoyle Wyvern (Living the life at Lunars house with a girl!)

Thanks

Both are usually sweet and very handle-able. Gargs are spicier then cresties in general. And I have been told they have more personality. I voted for cresties, because gargs have sharp little teeth that will draw blood if they bite, (I have four adults only been bit by one, tokay, twice removed some skin. Has not bit after the first couple of days) cresties teeth are very tiny and don't shred.
    Roxanne
    and the zoo
    www.geckoluv.com

Thanks

I have no experience with Gargs, but Cresties don't always turn out handlable and some that start that way can change once their bred. My friendliest male loves to come out and be with me, but he never just sits still. Hes running around my bed, chasing my fingers, looking for girls, and once he gets tired he goes to sleep inside the collar of my shirt.

Now my male Leachianus loves to sit and watch everything since I carried him around a lot while he was growing. He climbs up my arm and up my hair to the top of my head, which is why I always wear a hat when I carry him so he doesn't slip in my hair. He sits up there watching everything and has never tried to jump off.
    20.40.1.11 Tokays: Normal: Tempest, Avalanche, Tornado, Storm, Dusk, Gale, Riptide, Virga; Morphs: Black Frost, Arcus, Glacier, Umbra, Monsoon, Fog, Rain, Aurora, Whirlwind, Tidal Wave, Kona; Hets: Vapor, Haze, Parhelion, Drizzle, Scorpia, Cumulus, Stratus *** 0.2.0 Siamese Green Eyed Tokays: Opal & Sapphire *** Pine Isle Leachie: Droma *** 4 Fish Scaled Geckos *** 1.0 Knight Anole: Seiryu *** Pixie Frog: Loki *** Budgett's Frog: Chub Frog

Thanks

Ahaha, Jenn, I was also trying to convince her to get a chahoua. ;D
    Problem is cost, it's a bit much for a first gecko, ya know?

What you may want to do is see if you can meet up with somebody locally or go to a show. A lot of times people will bring a tame gecko to show others how tame or interesting a particular animal is. It really does go from animal to animal. My first crested gecko will usually fall asleep on my shoulder or in my arm if I keep him out while watching TV or something. Yet I had a gargoyle that would do pretty much the same thing.

I might just break it into pros and cons for both and let others try to add in. It all does depend on each gecko, though, I'm just trying to get down a general idea of how they mostly seem to act for the most part.

Crested geckos
    Pro - Lots of interesting morphs and patterns, grow at a reasonably nice rate, friendly once tamed down, stays pretty tame even if you don't handle them very often
    Con - Can be very jumpy, can become stressed after much handling, often will get jumpy after 20 minutes

Gargoyle geckos
    Pro - Pretty chill, seem like the most tame little things when they're young, seem pretty good to let you take pictures of them, can be hillarious the way they won't bother to move their limbs back down after you place them back in their cage
    Con - Can be picky eaters, some do become a bit more snappy as they get older if they don't get enough attention, sharper teeth than crested geckos, tend to grow more slowly
    One gargoyle I had completely refused to come down from a little perch to eat. He slowly started to starve himself until I removed his perch. Same one was also the PICKIEST eater EVER. He would not let me hand feed him, he had to have his food put directly in front of him. And if the mix is even slightly more water or slightly more flavoring, or the wrong flavor, he won't touch it. However, I had 2 small ones at about 5 grams each that were adorable and very sweet. They would completely chill at the end of my finger and let me hand feed them.

PI Chahoua geckos
    Pro - Very sweet when tame, grow fast, get big, LOTS of personality, have really interesting personal traits to each of them, use their tail a lot more and will curl it, tends to stay pretty tame without needing frequent handling (although mine would lay the BIGGEST poop on me if I don't handle him every to every other day. Only way I could make him not lay the biggest pile ever on me is if I'd give him some banana)
    Con - Takes 2 years to mature, big eaters, some can be cage aggressive (but seem fine once they're actually taken out), not a lot of different morphs and colors, easily $300+, have a pretty decent bite (although mine never bit too hard and would only do a snap compared to a cling-on-and-rip-off-flesh kinda bite)

Mainland chahoua geckos (I haven't personally owned one, so I won't be able to put much on this one.)
    Pro - Some have slightly more bold colors, seem to grow up to 50 grams at a good rate, still pretty friendly
    Con - Most stock are known to be inbred and may have underbites

Leachianus
    Pro - largest non-extinct species of gecko, quite a bit of personality, lots of interesting patterns and colors
    Con - Big eater, can become aggressive, big bite, nice big piles of nose-burning fury as presents, might be hard to keep tame without frequent handling

Sarasinorum
    Pro - Get pretty big and I haven't heard of many aggressive cases
    Con - Very fast, can be hard to find, not a lot of different colors

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jateui View Post
    Ahaha, Jenn, I was also trying to convince her to get a chahoua. ;D
    Problem is cost, it's a bit much for a first gecko, ya know?
    Hahha Jate!!!!
    My first 6 geckos were all chahoua.
    But yes, cost is a factor... but once you become addicted to ... say: cresteds.... then the total cost of about 10 cresteds can add up to be the cost of one chahoua. Just, really, just depends on what you want to save for and what sort of addiction you might be looking at.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~ JENN ~
    1 Daughter ~
    1 Chihuahua Cookie
    1.2 Pine Isle Chahouas Shrek Sugar & Spice
    1.2 Cresteds MrGoodbar Lollipop TootsieRoll
    1.0 Gargoyle Wyvern (Living the life at Lunars house with a girl!)