Thread: "cleaning crew" Questions

Thanks

Default "cleaning crew" Questions

how maney springtails and earthworms for a 18 x 18 x 18 exo terra tank i was thinking 1 culture of each.

After puting them in the terrarium do they need special care or not?

will they reproduce or will i have to keep stocking every now and then?
    Corn snakes .0.0.1 (Clasic Normal) 0.1 (Anery) 0.1 (Butter Stripe) 1.0 (Goldust Motley/Stripe)

Thanks

I haven't used earthworms, but I do have springtails and one culture would be good to start. Mine are actually thriving in the tank and I saved some of the culture to start another one so I actually have extra right now. I haven't done anything special to keep them alive, but make sure your deeper layer of substrate is kept moist for them. It is okay for the top layer to dry out.

Thanks

sweet thx
    Corn snakes .0.0.1 (Clasic Normal) 0.1 (Anery) 0.1 (Butter Stripe) 1.0 (Goldust Motley/Stripe)

Thanks

I raise my own earthworms & you can easily culture them in your viv. They are asexual (both male & female organs) so really, you only need two to start a colony. But i suggest placing around 10 EWs. Just make sure the soil in your viv does not exceed 18 inches tall.
    I normally feed them table scraps, veggie peels, apple cores, etc- once or twice a month.(though i wouldnt recommend putting food scraps in with your reptiles... I have heard some people even having success with pizza cardboard cut in strips & laid on one side. They slowly start eating what you give'em.
    Hope this was helpful.
    Abe

Thanks

yes it helps a lot i was thinking in putting 2 1/2" of soil and 1 1/2" of clay hydroballs do you think 6 earth worms will do the job?