Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Special Needs" Crested Gecko

Thanks

Is this the first offspring of a particular pair? If not, are the other babies normal?

He may be just a freak as far as genetics go, or it could be some sort of bad genetic combo between a certain pair.

If you have another instance of this sort of hatchling, I would retire the pair entirely, or atleast switch out one parent or the other.
    Meg
    THE GECKO ALCHEMIST
    on facebook

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KestrelShatterwind View Post
    Euthanizing reptiles is always a touchy issue, because they are not as easily euth'd as mammals are. A veterinarian can give a lethal injection, but gassing is not humane because they have low blood pressure and it takes hours for the gassing to work resulting in slow suffocation, and neither is freezing (studies showed that reptiles feel excruciating pain as their blood and muscles begin to freeze, so many keepers are no longer advocating freezing as a humane method of putting a reptile down). On a snake forum I used to frequent, if I recall correctly, veterinarians commented that aside from lethal injection (which is expensive), the most humane way to quickly and painlessly end the life of a reptile is to destroy the brain. Severing the spinal cord and pithing the brain with a rod is one way, or putting the animal in a bag and crushing the head with a brick or something very heavy and solid that's guaranteed to do the job is another.
    (This is good information to have---thanks! But)
    Awww! Don't euthanize the little thing unless s/he is suffering.--There are plenty of people out there (like me) who buy geckos for pets with no intention of breeding them (if that is your worry). I say give the best of care and wait and see--s/he's a cute lil bugger.
    1.2 humans, 0.2 canines, 1.1 felines, 1.1 parakeets, 0.1 corn snake, 2.7 crested geckos, 30+ fresh water fish (mostly guppies and tetras).

Thanks

OOO, I wish I hadn't read that last part!!!
    Mary T.

Thanks

Awww, poor little guy! I hope it never comes to that. With his orangeish coloring, stocky legs, and white feet, he reminds me (don't laugh) of a corgi dog.
    Boston Terrier 1.0, Stetson R.I.P. 8/15/2015.
    Rough Collie (rescued) 1.0, Teddy
    Crested Geckos 9.11.12
    Pine Isle Chahoua 1.0.1 Hunter, Cami
    Leopard Geckos 1.2 Confetti, Snowdrop, & Beauty
    Bearded Dragon 1.0 Jayden

Thanks

IMO it is always best to know the most humane way to put your pets down, if it ever came to that. It's not something that is nice to think about, but way better to know what to do before you have to than to be trying to figure it out with a horribly injured animal in your hands.

Hope the little guy can have a full life! He does almost look like he has some form of dwarfism to me too.
    Too many snakes! 20 species and counting. 1.2.plus Crested geckos 2.2 Gargoyle geckos 0.2 Chihuahua 2.2 evil cats.
    Elemental Exotics Terms & Conditions

Thanks

I have two "special needs" cresteds. One was just a slow grower and appears normal now. The other was born with his chest open. He is uncoordinated and when he gets excited he stumbles around. For quite a while he wouldn't eat reliably from a dish, so I had to drop CGD on his nose. I started him in a small KK with some egg crate against the wall, low branches, and thick paper on the bottom. Basically, if he happened to fall he had lots of stuff to catch himself on or at least a bit of cushon at the bottom. He has grown for me, eats on his own, and is now in a large KK.

Hopefully your little one does well for you and don't give up hope even if he is a bit off. It is obviously different if he has a poor quality of life, but they can over come some uncoordination.

Thanks

*Dont stop believing!* lmao, couldnt resist

i think with time, this little one will be just fine! he just needs a little extra TLC!

good luck and keep us posted please!

he is such a little cutie!
    1.2.0 Leopard Gecko-Zuko, Spaz, and Wretch
    1.1.0Crested Gecko - Sokka and Suki
    0.1.0 African Fat Tail Gecko- Appa
    1.0.0 Tokay Gecko - "Kamikazi"

Thanks

Yah, I have no plans to euthanize him unless his quality of life severely decreases, as in he is no long mobile or starts having severe muscle spasms or something. He'll get a lot of TLC from me, that's for sure!!!

Meg, I randomly found the egg one day in a cage with four females, so I don't know who it belongs to (I've been lucky to usually notice who is nesting at any given time). I, so far, haven't had any other hatchlings like this. If I knew who laid it, I wouldn't breed that pair again. Hopefully something like this won't happen again!

I gotta say, he really has grown on me in his short life, he's my special little fellow (or gal... LOL!)

I'll keep you posted on how he's doing!

Thanks

I believe your little guy has Metabolic Bone Disease ( http://www.anapsid.org/mbd.html). Use a 15 watt UVB bulb and give your little one some calcium. The bulb should be on for about 12-14 hours a day . And you should have a vet check the little one out as well , just to be safe. Also I would recommend reading this site http://uvguide.co.uk./ . They got into why UVB is important for all reptiles Good luck !!!