Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Special Needs" Crested Gecko

Thanks

Question "Special Needs" Crested Gecko

Hi, I had a Crestie hatch on April 16, who is a little different than any of my other hatchlings. He was the only egg in the clutch, and I never figured out who laid it, it was just a random "find" one day.

I noticed right away after he hatched that his tail is shorter than the average Crested Gecko; it's only about 2/3rds the length of an average tail. He does have the sticky pad on the end, but the last bit of his tail is very bent.

I have noticed recently that he has really poor coordination and muscle control. (I actually noticed this the day he hatched but at the time I chalked it up to being a newborn!) He hasn't seemed to grow too much but he has shed at least twice in the last month, so he must be growing a little.

As I said, he has very poor muscle control, and when he walks it's very jerky and he bends his fingers/toes and wrists inwards and holds them very stiff, although he can flatten them when he puts them on the ground. Even just walking on a flat surface, he stumbles and falls to one side or the other, and he moves very slowly. He can climb but not very well, and he isn't able to "stick" onto a surface like most Cresties, and will even slide off of my hand if I hold it at even a slight angle.

Due to his issues, I'm not expecting him to have the lifespan of the average Crestie. I was wondering if anyone has had an experience like this before? I wonder if he has some sort of muscular dystrophy or something. Also wondering, and I know this is a sensitive question but, if the time should ever come to where his quality of life is very poor, is there a humane way to euthanize a little one? I, of course, hope it would never come to that!!

I am attaching a picture; you can't really see the muscle issues but you can see his tail. (Yep, he's just finishing up a shed right now!)

Oh, I call him Shorty! I had him in an enclosure with two other babies that hatched around the same time as him, but upon noticing his difficulties, I have moved him into a smaller Kritter Keeper, alone. Hoping this should make things easier for him, and perhaps he'll be able to get to the food dish more easily.

Thanks

was the egg undercalcified? like patchy and not smooth?
    I'd try putting a 2.0 uvb light over him and increasing his calcium (without d3 if your using the uvb light to avoid d3 toxicity) mix the tip of a knife of calcium into his cgd when you mix it. best of luck
    1 man dreamed of becoming, another awoke and became

7.10.7.11 crested geckos
    0.1 gargoyle gecko (fry)
    1.0 leopard gecko (lucky)
    0.1 (I think) ocelated skink (slinky)

Thanks

poor little guy...........

Thanks

I don't recall his egg looking like that. I will hook up some UVB for him, but he is in a small kritter keeper, so will it be effective on the lid of that? I could move him back into a 12x12x12 exo terra, but with his difficulties in climbing, I think it'd be best for him to be in something smaller.

Thanks

Be careful not to overheat the container...
    Dagan. Illumination Exotics Facebook. iHerp. Artwork.
    ~Illumination Exotics~

Thanks

You know, in looking at his pic compared to my other hatchlings pics, his back legs are much shorter and thicker than average. I wonder if he is some version of a dwarf???

Thanks

I was going to say he is much stockier looking than most I see. Thick in body as well as his tail.
    I like the idea of the UVB. His bent tail looks like a calcium issue to me.
    Good luck with him

Thanks

don't let it shine through plastic, it needs to be some kind of mesh, like near the edge, plastic is opaque to uv light. if you use a cfl uvb you shouldn't have a problem with heat, just make sure to mist at least 2 times a day and set you light on a timer, say 8 hours a day on; I've always had issues with KK's and humidity
    1 man dreamed of becoming, another awoke and became

7.10.7.11 crested geckos
    0.1 gargoyle gecko (fry)
    1.0 leopard gecko (lucky)
    0.1 (I think) ocelated skink (slinky)

Thanks

Aww, I hope he is okay. The vet told me that it takes time for a gecko to get MBD so if a young one has it, it could be a sign of a birth defect or inability to process calcium properly. I am so sorry, what a cutie he is...

Thanks

Euthanizing reptiles is always a touchy issue, because they are not as easily euth'd as mammals are. A veterinarian can give a lethal injection, but gassing is not humane because they have low blood pressure and it takes hours for the gassing to work resulting in slow suffocation, and neither is freezing (studies showed that reptiles feel excruciating pain as their blood and muscles begin to freeze, so many keepers are no longer advocating freezing as a humane method of putting a reptile down). On a snake forum I used to frequent, if I recall correctly, veterinarians commented that aside from lethal injection (which is expensive), the most humane way to quickly and painlessly end the life of a reptile is to destroy the brain. Severing the spinal cord and pithing the brain with a rod is one way, or putting the animal in a bag and crushing the head with a brick or something very heavy and solid that's guaranteed to do the job is another.
    I gave my geckos up... but I want to come back :c