Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Paper towels...

Thanks

I am in the process of switching all my tanks to the shelf liner(from paper towels). I got some to test out and it really makes things easy.
    3.6.3 R. ciliatus; 0.1 R. leachianus; 1.1.1 G. gecko; 1.0 G. ulikovskii
    0.1 Heterodon nasicus
    1.1 Eumeces schneideri; 0.0.3 Bombina orientalis; 0.0.2 Archispirostreptus gigas

Thanks

My main reason for not likeing paper towels is the un natural look and feel of them, I like to make my tanks as natural looking/feeling as possible (though I dont have the money for real plants so I use fake ones)
    2.1.0 Cresties 0.0.1 Gargoyle 1.0.0 Leopard gecko 0.1.0 Cornsnake 0.0.1 Columbian Tegu 1.1.0 Dogs 1.2.0 Cats 1.0.0 Chinchilla 0.1.0 banded king snake 0.1.0 california kingsnake
    R.I.P frogbutt, medusa, horus, and vyktor

Thanks

you can get cheap plants at walmart or home depot, I think I paid like $2 a plant and they have pothos, snake plants, and other gecko safe plants!
    2.5.4 Crested Geckos
    Studmuffin, Quasimodo, Esmerelda, Fia, Lil Nugget, HoneyDew, Charlene, Artemis (baby#1), Zero, Hades, unnamed
    0.2.0 Kitties
    Stella & Celeste
    1.1.0 Dogs Lotus & MaryJane

Thanks

Real plants are way cheaper than fake plants, I just found that out today. Fake nice sized plants are easily $10-$20 each where as real plants can easily be found for $5 and under.

Thanks

Plus real plants like pothos will keep growing until you have plenty on your own to furnish all tanks. You can take clippings from the plant, put them in a jar of water, and then plant them once they have grown some nice roots.
    Dagan. Illumination Exotics Facebook. iHerp. Artwork.
    ~Illumination Exotics~

Thanks

Q for those of you using the shelf liner...are you using the standard foamy kind that is meant to "grip" the shelf (has a raised / thatch pattern)? That sounds like a great idea...esp. being able to cut it to fit the enclosure and I like the idea of not wasting paper towels...plus, it comes in all kinds of colors.

Thanks.
    Art

Thanks

Yep that is what I am using. It is easy to spot poo and or mold, easy to clean, and holds moisture too. I went with the darker brown color because it looked more natural. You can kinda see it on the bottom of this setup.

Thanks

I've only been using a paper towel for my recently born gecko so I can observe it better and make sure everything was okay... also, a little damp paper towel helps a little with the shedding process. I'm getting ready to move it to a bigger enclosure now, and will be using Eco Earth instead.

Thanks

I have pulled out several inch long paper towel strips out of geckos rear ends in the past. Seems if they go for a bug on the corner or even a shadow they will lunge get a corner and keep eating and ripping it till it pulls free. Not saying its not safe because it seemed to pass well but I freaked out thinking it was a nematode till I unwound it and saw the pattern from the paper towels I used. o.0

That said I hate using PT but do in my tub tanks. All my other tanks are planted.
    Sarah & Jake
    LunarGecko.net
    Feel free to check out our Fauna reviews or follow us on FaceBook!
    You can also check out most of our animals on our iherp page.

Thanks

wow didn't realize this thread got brought back up. Thanks for al the input everyone! Once I start breeding cresties I'll probably plant the tank they'll be in.
    2.1.0 Cresties 0.0.1 Gargoyle 1.0.0 Leopard gecko 0.1.0 Cornsnake 0.0.1 Columbian Tegu 1.1.0 Dogs 1.2.0 Cats 1.0.0 Chinchilla 0.1.0 banded king snake 0.1.0 california kingsnake
    R.I.P frogbutt, medusa, horus, and vyktor