Thread: Humidity, light and heat confusion

Thanks

Default Humidity, light and heat confusion

Hello,

I wasn't sure if this should go here or in the health section, I apologize if this is the wrong place. I just got a crested gecko and I am having issues keeping the humidity up when I have the heat lamp on during the day. The heat lamp is 75watt max with a 50 watt bulb that keeps things at about 75-80 the way it's set up. I've been using the lamp during the day for at least a few hours since I read that daytime temps should be around 75-82 degress and the house is 70-71. The only issue is that the humidity won't stay up when the lamp is on. He is on bark like what he was on at the store with some moss mixed in since I prefer the more natural look. I've been getting conflicting information about heating and light. Some sources say they need heat while others seem to be saying they only need light. I left the lamp off one day and he became slow and somewhat cold to the touch (only moved him a little so I could put more decorations in other than that I haven't touched him). When I put the heat on, he seemed to perk up but then the humidity dropped. When the lamp is off, the humidity stays stable. Do they need heat or is it normal for them to seem a little slow and nonreactive when they are in the adjustment period? I'm just worried because he will change color a lot but not react very strongly to anything. I going to pick up a daytime lightbulb for him today but now I'm slightly confused about what kind of light and heat he needs. Some sources say they need 4 hours of light while others say they need 12 of daytime light. If there a daytime light that will also give off just a little bit of heat while not causing too much drying out? He is my first reptile and I really want to take the best possible care of him so I could just be overthinking it. I'm a bit nervous about no heating during the day after his lack of responses yesterday. He was changing all sorts of colors and running around the day before that. He is currently in a 10 gallon tank but I will be ordering a properly sized one made specifically for reptiles soon. He is not fully grown so I was told it would be okay for now.

Thanks

They "fire up" (change color) when they are a bit stressed out. That can happen a lot when there are changes made to their living space.

Temps can be 65-80, with low-to-mid 70's being the ideal.

I have Exo Terra tanks with an Exo Terra canopies and I use the 13W (in summer) or 26W (in winter) UVB100. They don't get a lot of natural light where their tanks are (don't ever put them in directly sunlight though!), so mine get about 4 hours with the lights on during summer (split 2 hours mid-morning & evening) and 6-7 (split 3-4 hours mid-morning and evening) hours in the winter. I mist twice a day, lightly in the morning and heavier at night. My humidity usually gets only down to about 65% during the day, and goes up to about 85-90% at night. This seems to be OK for my little guys. They do tend to slow down a bit in temps of 60's, so I'd say that's normal.

You do need a drying-out time during the day; the humidity doesn't always have to be high. This helps with them shedding, and so they don't develop respiratory issues.

Your setup sounds pretty good as far as light and heat (82 might be a little high though)...what are your humidity levels?
    Eileen
    TAD (Tiny Ancient Dinosaur) - Yellow flame dash pinstripe crestie 1.0.0
    Hygge, aka TBD (Tiny Badass Dragon) - Brown reticulated gargoyle 0.0.1
    Rody Jane - Cattledog/stinkwad mix 0.1.0
    Dixie Moonpie - Rattledog 0.1.0
    Ancient barn cats - 3.0.0

Thanks

Okay, so constant color change is normal, looks like I am overthinking that xD. I hadn't realized how much color variation there could be when they fire up. He was going from red to orange to his normal color.

The humidity levels have been dropping to around 60, sometimes lower with the heat lamp and going up to 75-85 when I turn the heat off for the night. If it gets below 60, I've been misting again since that seems like it could be too low. I've been covering part of the top of the tank to help trap the humidity a bit better but it's only going so far. Because of this I have been making sure the heat lamp is off when I'm not there to keep an eye on the humidity. If the heat gets to around 78, I turn the lamp off. Should he feel cool to the touch or does that mean he might need more heat?

Thank you for breaking down what hours are good for light

Thanks

50-60% is good for dry-out. When you mist at night, it should go up to at least 85-90%. Your body temp is 98.6, so anything less than that and he will feel cool to you. If his tank temp is around 67 as a low temperature at night, he'll be just fine. Don't let it go much below that if you can help it.
    Eileen
    TAD (Tiny Ancient Dinosaur) - Yellow flame dash pinstripe crestie 1.0.0
    Hygge, aka TBD (Tiny Badass Dragon) - Brown reticulated gargoyle 0.0.1
    Rody Jane - Cattledog/stinkwad mix 0.1.0
    Dixie Moonpie - Rattledog 0.1.0
    Ancient barn cats - 3.0.0