Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Silicone as an ant deterrent ?

Thanks

Default Silicone as an ant deterrent ?

Long story short I had noticed a few random ants about the house. I finally saw three coming from a tiny crack on the bottom lip of my bedroom windowsill. I had someone come out and seal that up and repaint over it and have not seen any more ants until today.

Now they are coming in through the next bedroom windowsill. It will be the middle of the week before that can be fixed permanently. Would the ants eat through silicone if I used that to fill the small gap? Is there something else I could run to Lowes and pick up that would work better for this purpose?

I had thought of grout or caulking perhaps? Which would you suggest?

2.7.13 Cresties Ozai Nix Gracie Ling Parula Midori Issabella Mischief Lydia
    Tango Gimp Avery Grasun Lyrica Gizmo Blaine Neva Skyler Sydney Rene Nico Rio
    0.1 Gargoyles Squishy*
    1.2 Leopards Sabastian Willow Allie
    To speak without thinking is to shoot without aiming

GeckosandGiggles.com IHerp

Thanks

Blocking up entry points does the trick sometimes but it will not solve the problem if there are other points of entry into the house and most of the time there are. You are seeing scouts looking for food at this point and if they find any there will be a lot more in a hurry.

Honestly I am all for killing the problem first before you seal the hole. Terro liquid ant bait is AWESOME. I had a minor ant problem here recently and I used that bait. Within the first 6 hours or so it was covered with ants, but a few days later all of the ants were gone. The ants carry that back to the colony and share it with other workers and hopefully the queen and the problem is resolved. After that I sealed the holes I had seen them come from and have been ant free ever since.

Best part about this product is it is safe to use around other pets. Even if it is ingested by a cat or dog it won't cause any harm.
    Straight from their website,
    TERRO® Liquid Ant Bait is a sweet food based product similar to pancake
    syrup combined with Borax. Borax is a mineral that is mined in the desert
    in California and is a common active ingredient that is used in soap
    products such as 20 Mule Team Borax.

The product kills ants but will not harm people or pets. If you spill some
    on your skin there will be no reaction at all. Simply wash with warm water.

Pets occasionally find the Terro and eat it. Our advice when this happens
    is to do nothing at all. The product is not toxic enough to cause a problem
    and the pet will be just fine.

Thanks

Borax as ant killer hey...huh weird & I always just made slime for the kids with it..lol
    3.1.0 Cresties 1.1.1 Cats 1.1.0 Kids

Peace
    Jay

Thanks

It is the only product we use in animal areas at the zoo

Thanks

Borox? i have always comet, which leaves a really nasty mess, have to try it.
    Roxanne
    and the zoo
    www.geckoluv.com

Thanks

Thank you so much Ryan! We did go ahead and seal off the entrance last night but I will get some of the bait to have on hand in case they do find another way in.

I went in search of the ant bed outside and can not find any at all. Sneaky little critters.

0.1 Gargoyles Squishy*

Thanks

Prinnie and I talked about this out side the forum in chat but since lots of other people seem to have the same problem this is what I do.

In my last 3 homes we have had major ant problems. Never have had them get into my tanks, thank the gods. But we always do preventive steps before it becomes a problem. These steps are...

All shelves any tanks are set on, as well as the base of the shelf were they can climb up, is dusted with baby powder. The talcum keeps ants from being able to follow the sent trail of the scout ant. You can even vacuum it up so it wont look bad. Adding a few pinches of cayenne pepper to the powder will also help deter them. You can make a paste with the powder by mixing a tad of water and a few drops of peppermint or citronella essential oil. The oils are natural deterrents for pests and they smell good. Stuff the paste into cracks and on/in baseboards... you cant even see it on white walls.

Ortho home defense works great, spray it out side around windows along vents and the base of the house. I do this once every 3 months.

I have never used a trap and never had to. So I don't know how well that works but personally I don't want them in the first place. Hope this helps.
    Sarah & Jake
    LunarGecko.net
    Feel free to check out our Fauna reviews or follow us on FaceBook!
    You can also check out most of our animals on our iherp page.

Thanks

That was my only real concern with the traps. Sitting around and watching them for hours just hoping all those ants I have invited into my home go right back out the same way they came in

I will definitely be making a paste and using it along the baseboards and such. That sounds like a wonderful and safe idea! I have peppermint oil here already so I believe I will use that. It is raining outside now so I will wait until morning to spray the home defense around the house.

Thank you both very much!!

0.1 Gargoyles Squishy*

Thanks

I do also do something that maybe working as a partial trap... IDK because that not why I use it. But Ryan talking about the borax brings it to mind that this maybe part of it. I mix borax and cleaning soda with a little lemon and orange essential oil mixed in as a carpet powder each time I vacuum. I have the powder mixed 50/50 in an old large jam jar with holes poked in the lid and sprinkle over the carpet 15 mins before I vacuum. Sometime I even sweep the carpet with a broom to make sure the powder gets down into the carpet fibers. This may also be working keep the little pests away. IDK but it sure helps me keep the carpet clean and it smells nice to boot.
    Sarah & Jake
    LunarGecko.net
    Feel free to check out our Fauna reviews or follow us on FaceBook!
    You can also check out most of our animals on our iherp page.

Thanks

I have been using a baking soda and lavender essential oil mixture to freshen my carpets for a couple of years now. I sometimes add a few drops of lemongrass oil as well. I can just add a bit of borax to the mix. It can not hurt! I love aromatherapy, its really rather surprising they would find our homes accommodating at all. I looked through the list of scents I use and have found very few that do not list insect repellent as one of the benefits

0.1 Gargoyles Squishy*