Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite Snake?

Thanks

Default Favorite Snake?

We are thinking about getting back into some snakes. For sure, we want to start getting back into ball pythons. Hunter will be more in charge of these, while I am more of the gecko person, but I'd kind of like to get a snake of my own (for now just as a pet... we will see about breeding later). I am kind of torn between some kind of sand boa versus a hognose. I'm interested in both. Which one of these would you pick, and why? Also, if you want to recommend a different kind of snake, please do! However, I have no interest in large constrictors such as anacondas, retics, burmese, redtails, etc.

Thanks!
    Currently working with R. ciliatus

Thanks

hoggies...lol my reason is dumb though, they are so freakin cute! I just like the species, they are funny and the ones I have been around hae been neat little snakes. James almost bought me one last month at a reptile show but the person selling them sold out of them by the end of the show
    lets just say I have a lot of stuff
    www.sublimereptiles.com
    Facebook
    BOI

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thongwedgie View Post
    hoggies...lol my reason is dumb though, they are so freakin cute! I just like the species, they are funny and the ones I have been around hae been neat little snakes. James almost bought me one last month at a reptile show but the person selling them sold out of them by the end of the show
    I know... they are cute. But so are sand boas, haha. I saw some hognose at a reptile show once, but didn't know what they were at the time. If I'd known then what I know now, I definitely would have bought one.

I had a rosy boa once, and I regret that I don't still have her. She was like my second snake ever (first was a corn that died soon after I got it... I think it was due to a force feeding by an employee of the pet shop I bought it from), and I didn't fully appreciate her great feeding response. The one thing I always hated about snakes was when they wouldn't eat. This girl had a huge appetite, but she was also kind of nippy afterwards, so I had to be careful. Lots of personality!

I have zero experience with hoggies, so it's hard to compare.

Thanks

I've got a rough-scaled sand boa and a western hognose. They're both picky eaters. The sand boa will only eat live and the hoggie will eat FT, but it has to be scented with a frog. Fortunately I own a pair of grey tree frogs that don't seem to mind helping out. I've had the sand boa for about six months and the hoggie for about a month.

In six months the sand boa has never eaten anything except for live, even after I offered only FT for four months. He's eaten live with no issues for the last two months. I hate feeding live, so I'm finding a new home for him. I bought him from a small reptile store that told me he did fine on FT. I wish I'd actually watched the snake eat instead of taking their word for it.

In less than a month the hoggie has gone from only eating live for his old owners (and going through a 6+ month period of refusing to eat -anything- right before they gave him to me) I've gotten him to eat lightly scented FT mice with no hesitation. His next mouse will be unscented. I'm 90% sure he'll eat it as soon as I give it to him.

Personality-wise, they're pretty similar. Both snakes would rather I just left them alone. My old hoggie was totally easy to handle. He never hissed at me, even when he was about to shed. When I was working at a chain pet store we always had at least a few Kenyan sand boas. They rarely bit or showed any aversion to being messed with. I think either would be a good choice if you get it from someone you trust.

Have you looked into African house snakes? They're pretty neat!

Thanks

I've never had either species but I personally really love the Sand Boas, I've dealt with them on a couple of occasions and really enjoyed their personality.

I have a corn snake and he's a real sweetheart. Corns are always a great pet snake<3
    "I believe that education is all about being excited about something. Seeing passion and enthusiasm helps push an educational message."-Steve Irwin​

Thanks

milks are cool. i have a black milksnake, pretty active during the day. im getting my first amazon tree boa soon, very cool snakes.

Thanks

Thanks! Wow, I didn't even realize that I had more replies.

That is a bummer about the eating issues. I know how frustrating that can be. It's weird how one sand boa can eat and eat and eat (like my old rosy) and another won't eat for months. Do you think it's a species thing or an individual thing?

I wouldn't rule out a KSB or another rosy.

I'll check out some of the snakes you guys suggested that I haven't heard of.

I know some people love corns, but I've never been huge on corns, milks, or king snakes. A little too squirmy for me. I like something a little more chill and that is less likely to musk you (I used to work at a pet store and I got bitten and musked by too many of these for them to be appealing).

Thanks

i think it depends on the milk, in terms of musking. my black milksnake has never musked on me. even when squirming. and as for that its just what the babies do, they'll grow out of it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crestieNaz View Post
    i think it depends on the milk, in terms of musking. my black milksnake has never musked on me. even when squirming. and as for that its just what the babies do, they'll grow out of it.
    Yeah, I'm sure you're right. I did work with lots of babies.

Thanks

I would go with a BP if I were you. Mostly because then I can live vicariously off of the pictures you post because I want one so badly! I wish I had done more research into the personalities of different snakes, because my corn snake is very tiring. He never sits still! lol If I could go back I would get a BP instead of a corn snake. Sorry corn lovers I do love my boy though, he's just a nut job.

3.0 Crested Geckos *Moe*Kami*Piper*
    [COLOR="RoyalBlue"]0.1 Gargoyle Gecko *Nexus*[/COLOR
    1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa *Incus*
    0.1 Sphynx Outcross x American Curl Cat *Kura*
    1.0 Tabby Cat *Shorty*