Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: A Warning: Use Caution With Butterworms

Thanks

Thanks

Prior photos have been moved/removed, but they look fantastic!! What a great recovery!
    ~Rami | Nova Reptiles | iHerp | Facebook
    7.17.6.7 Crested geckos, 1.1 mix leachies, 1.1 Halmaheras, 1.1 African Fat Tails, 1.2 Tokays, 1.1 Oedura castelnaui, 2.1 Leopard geckos, 0.1 corn snake, & too many feeder bugs.

Thanks

Wow, you'd never know anything had happened. They look ever so much better, I am so pleased for you that they made a full recovery!
    Help! Crested Geckos! 0.1.Leachie, 2.1.1 Gargs, 1.0 Chahoua, 2.1. Blue Tongue Skinks, 1.1. White Lined Geckos, 1.3. African Fat Tails, 2.2.0 Tokay Geckos, 1.0. Giant Day Gecko, 2 tarantulas

Thanks

They look great, I can not remember what the garg looked like, but I remember the crestie and it is looking like nothing really happened.
    Eublepharis macularius 2.1 Normals, 1.1 TUG Phantoms
    Rhacodactylus ciliatus 3.3.7.0
    Rhacodactylus auriculatus 0.0.4
    Lepidodactylus lugubris 0.2.0

Thanks

Great outcome, thanks for the update!

Thanks

I apologize for "bumping" up an old thread, but I am interested in feeding Butterworms to my Chahouas: (1) they sound very nutritious and (2) are well liked! However, this thread has scared me, obviously.

Has anyone else see, experienced, or heard of any other similar cases?
    Currently Keeping:
    Mniarogecko Chahoua - "Chewies" (2.2.6)
    Rhacodactylus Auriculatus - "Gargoyle" (0.1.0)
    Rhacodactylus Ciliatus - "Crested" (0.2.1)
    Rhacodactylus Leachianus - "Leachies" (0.0.2)

**Wanted: 2 - 3 Year Old High-End P.I. Chahoua - Wanted **

Thanks

What I believe, and this is my personal opinion only, is that what happened to these geckos is an anomaly, a rare event - something that should be seen as a cautionary tale, but not meant to necessarily dissuade you from feeding butterworms to your reptiles.

I'm not making light of what happened to Styx's geckos; it is absolutely terrible, and if that had happened to any of my reptiles, I would be so traumatized that I'd never feed butterworms again.

However, I myself have had success feeding butterworms to all of my reptiles, and some with regularity. Big worms, small worms, juicy worms...and never had an issue. They've been fed to my one crested, both of my Leos, my skinks, my dragons - all of which have various skin types as you know.

Based on the lack of other reports of issues with butterworms, I believe what these geckos experienced was simply a bad batch of butterworms. For whatever reason, whether they had eaten something toxic or were sprayed with something toxic, something caused this batch to be unfit for feeding.

I liken it to people food, when a bad batch of meat is shipped out and subsequently recalled after however many people end up sick. Eating meat on its own isn't bad or dangerous, but a bad batch due to contamination or whatnot is a problem and is dangerous. It doesn't mean we should all stop eating meat, just in case.

We need to feed our reptiles something, and we need to feed them a variety to keep them happy and healthy. But with any feeder insect, there is always a risk. With crickets, it's parasites. With superworms, it's damage from their teeth. With mealworms, it's impaction. With kingworms, it's genetic mutations due to hormones. With waxworms, it's FLD. With butterworms, it's a toxic reaction to their fluids. But do all of these fears manifest often? Hard to say. In Styx's case, absolutely. And if it was simply a bad batch, I don't hesitate to believe that there would have been others affected by the same worms, whether we heard about it on the world wide web or not.

However, some people who read the story are fear-mongers, and much like the telephone game, will spread the story far and wide to the point where people months from now regurgitate this story as a "fact" that always occurs with butterworms, and will say they should always be avoided because they will burn your reptile.

Ultimately it's up to you as to what you feed, but I don't think this event should be seen as a scare tactic or a deterrent, but merely a warning, a cautionary tale, so you know the possibility is there, no matter how probable or improbable.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TroyNVie View Post
    I apologize for "bumping" up an old thread, but I am interested in feeding Butterworms to my Chahouas, mainly because (1) they sound very nutritious and (2) are well liked! However, this thread has scared me, obviously.

Has anyone else see, experienced, or heard of any other similar cases?
    I have fed butterworms to my chahouas and cresteds on multiple occasions, to my chahouas especially. I would also assume/hope this event was an anomaly as stated above. I hadn't seen this thread before though- I wish I could still see the pictures!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Silveretta View Post
    I have fed butterworms to my chahouas and cresteds on multiple occasions, to my chahouas especially. I would also assume/hope this event was an anomaly as stated above. I hadn't seen this thread before though- I wish I could still see the pictures!
    Pics - came across them during my search.

http://bamboozoo.weebly.com/butterworm-caution.html