Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 35g hex - lets hear the suggestions!

Thanks

Default 35g hex - lets hear the suggestions!

I have a 35g hex that was given to me years ago, it's in great shape (does not hold water and I don't want to reseal it). I'm toying with the idea of setting it up and using it for something....

I love dart frogs, but I know nothing about them! Lots of research would be in order. I could also use it for more crested geckos, but I'd like something different since I've got 3 of them.

I'd love something that climbs (plants or glass) so the height can be utilized. Prefer tropical since that's what I'm experienced with. Anything is fair game, suggest away!
    A righteous man does not need a law, and an unrighteous man cannot keep one.

Thanks

On Crested Lady's website, there's an excellent caresheet on dartfrogs.
    ~Joe~
    1.1.2 Cresties (Tigger, Diego, Raisin and Peaches)
    0.0.1 Corn Snakes (Osiris)
    1.0.0 Beardie (Zeus)
    1.1.0 Leopard Gecko (Felix and Tarquin)
    0.1.0 Royal Python (Jazeira)

Thanks

If you've never kept frogs before, its usually recommended that Dart frogs are left to the experts, but if you did enough research i suppose you might get on ok. There are loads of species of tree frogs that are really amazing though, im getting some Whites Tree frogs, they get pretty huge (up to 4-5") but are the most handlable of the frogs and apparantly really entertaining. Theres a site i go on called http://www.repticzone.com/forums/TreeFrogs/index.html
    That'll give you the basics!
    www.TreasureCrest.co.uk

Whites tree frogs
    Crested Geckos
    Rhacodactylus chahoua

Thanks

I'm familiar with frog care, just never kept darts before. I don't want something to handle.

I've kept a variety of reptiles so while I wouldn't consider myself an expert, I've got quite a bit of experience with them overall.
    A righteous man does not need a law, and an unrighteous man cannot keep one.

Thanks

In all honesty, the best dart frog site around is www.dendroboard.com. I'm a member over there as well and there is tons of info about dendrobates, mantellas and other species. You'll learn alot and with all the experts there, questions tend to get answered pretty fast.
    Last edited by Haroldo; 05-14-2006 at 01:05 PM.
    -Harold
    CC Herps http://www.ccherps.com

Coming soon...

www.versatilevivariums.com

Thanks

It would make an awsome dart tank, I also like reed frogs and glass frogs.

Thanks

Thats cool i'd say so for it then!!!
    www.TreasureCrest.co.uk

Whites tree frogs
    Crested Geckos
    Rhacodactylus chahoua

palex134 Guest

i'd say put a lizard or two in that bad boy. There is no shortage of species that would do well in there.

Thanks

Definatly set up a nice frog tank.I acquired 10 35 hexes from a shop last year.Set it up with colonies of Milk frogs.Ill get some pics of them all set up and next to each other.These pics are from about a year ago.Since i have changes to different plants etc.

Thanks

OOO get dart frogs! they are so awesome. The best ones to start would be leucs (forget the whole scientific name, thats just a nick). They are more communal than most darts (females normally fight). You rarely have to clean them and they are fun to watch. The only downside, which i think is kinda cool anyway, is you have to breed your own fruit flies. They are really not hard to take care of at all as long as you pick a good starter species, feed them every day or every other, and not over-crowd them.