Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Clark's Diet

Thanks

Default Clark's Diet

Question...

I am paying off two gorgeous male geckos. They are both tailless, and one's 35g and the other 40g, I believe. The guy showed me a picture of another female of his that was nearly 60g. I asked how on earth he gets his geckos to eat so much, and what they eat. He said he feeds Clark's diet (mixed with Repashy (CGD) and pigment enhancer). How is the quality of this food? Should I be concerned (the boys look fine... no MBD or anything, just bigger geckos)? And I shouldn't have any trouble switching them to CGD, should I?

Thanks.

Thanks

That's a first. I've never heard of anyone mixing the two together.

While I've never used Clark's, I've heard it's sweeter than CGD. So the geckos may not want CGD cold turkey right away.

I would offer the CGD only for a few days. If they didn't eat, then I'd add a bit of honey and eventually stop adding honey.

Thanks

Thanks, Krystal. I did some searching through old posts on the forum, and found some info about Clark's, although it was from '06, I believe. It does seem that Clark's is a little sweeter and geckos seem to prefer its taste over CGD-- which explains why this guy's geckos are so big. I read that it isn't a horrible food, but it's not really a complete diet. It's best supplemented with insects. I guess it's good that he's been mixing it with CGD... might make it easier for me to switch them over. But I'm sure they'll lose weight in the process :-(

Thanks

Default Looking for Advice on Diet

I have always fed my geckos straight CGD-- and I'm talking about the original kind, not the 2 part diet. While they have always eaten it and I've never had any health issues, they don't really seem to love it and they grow slowly. I don't have any chubby geckos. It's been kind of frustrating trying to maintain my females' breeding weights (they aren't breeding right now, but I'd like to get there). While I have gotten near 38g or so with a couple of them, most of my girls are about 35g. I would feel better if they were in the 35-40g range, or even above 40.

I'm just brainstorming about diet. Have any of you had experience with the regular CGD and the 2 part diet? Did you notice whether your geckos preferred the former or the latter (by way of eating more of it)? I just waste so much CGD all of the time, and it seems like my geckos hardly eat, so if they would eat more of the 2 part than the original, I would gladly switch.

Or (another idea), would it be a bad idea to mix a teeny bit of Clark's Diet in-- just enough to entice them more? I hear that geckos really enjoy it and eat more. I should mention that I'm paying off two very nice adult male geckos (tailless at 35 and 40g) that have grown up eating a CGD/Clark's mix and look like perfectly healthy and robust adults.

I realize that a bigger/fatter gecko isn't necessarily a healthier gecko, but I am just getting frustrated with geckos that barely eat, and would like to not have to stress out about my breeding females possibly losing too much weight over the course of a season.

Thanks for your input in advance.

Thanks

From what I remember of clarks its about as sweet as the new CGD v3.0 is so if you get some of that you may have a slimpler time switching over.
    Sarah & Jake
    LunarGecko.net
    Feel free to check out our Fauna reviews or follow us on FaceBook!
    You can also check out most of our animals on our iherp page.

Thanks

First off, yes all my geckos tend to eat way more two part more than the regular.

I want to talk about Clark’s diet more though. I recently got my free sample at PMP reptiles because two of my hatchlings from November, have not even gained a gram since they were born. Literally not eating, no poop, nothing. In fact after I separated they lost some weight. So, with that said and after I tried old cgd, new cgd, and two part, I decided to go try Clarks. While people may say it may not be a complete diet, it sure is better than the gecko not eating. I now see big tongue marks out of the food and they seem to actually eat it and enjoy it. With cgd especially the new kind, I would try to put the cgd on their nose and they would wipe it off. While being handfed Clarks, they attempt to eat it and not just a few licks but a good serving size. I have searched that the Clarks complete still doesn’t have enough calcium as cgd but I would love to know if the Clarks geckos are still healthy, ie no kinks, laying healthy eggs ect. I know Gecko Brothel in Canada uses Clarks and they have what seems to be good looking and healthy geckos from what I can see. Also they are bigger in size. Now I did not feed my entire colony as I was more worried about the babies, but I did take out one of my adults reluctant to the new cgd and it really enjoyed it too. Id like to hear more about others who feed it.

Thanks

Thanks, Ashley. That was very helpful. And it's brave to mention that you've been trying Clark's, since we all know that it's not too hard to get flamed on here sometimes when it comes to discussing the wellbeing of our beloved geckos (no offense intended... I'm sure it happens on all forums, and out of good intentions). I would also really love to have an open, honest dialogue about Clark's. After seeing the pictures of these boys I'm buying, I'm not ready to completely dismiss the possibility of somehow incorporating Clark's into my feeding regimen simply because "it's bad" and everyone has jumped onto the CGD bandwagon (again, no offense intended, and I realize and respect that it's a fact that CGD is considered to be the superior diet). These adult males look perfectly healthy, without kinks or bumps. They only appear larger. And now that you say Gecko Brothel uses it, I am even more intrigued. I have asked the breeder I'm buying my geckos from for more info about his experience with Clark's Diet (he recommends it even more than CGD), and I may post or paraphrase his response with his permission.

Thanks

Honestly some of my geckos like the part 2, some dont. I personally have the mango and fig at home. The gargs all love the mango and so do a few of my geckos, my gargs hate the fig and so do a few of the cresteds. But all of the geckos except for my adult female garg happily mow down on CGD.

I dont use clarks, considered using it as a treat but havenever tried it.
    lets just say I have a lot of stuff
    www.sublimereptiles.com
    Facebook
    BOI

Thanks

Good, cause I would really like to know more about it and the overall health of the geckos that have been raised on it because it seems like they sure do enjoy it more. Although many people have been having good results on the new 3.0 diet, I myself have not. I know it is suppose to take some time but I have had it for about two months now with no different results in amount ate. I switched to two part and did get more of a feeding response, preferably the rose. Still some have not wanted anything to do with regular or two part, period. Honestly, if I hear good things on it (that is if we get some cold hard facts on the geckos who have had it their whole life) I may buy a pound to try it out on the others.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 799 Posts

Clark's is probably fine, I'm glad some people here (US) are experimenting with it. RhacsCanada.ca folks seem to love it more than Repashy's MRP.

I'm not entirely convinced that it's as complete as the Repashy diet, since mostly the advice I see with it recommends feeding dusted insects with it. I don't do live foods with my cresties, so I'm comfortable sticking with CGD.

My slow growers are healthy, eating well and pooping, so they may just have different metabolisms. The crew eats the older 2-part CGD since I ordered food right before the change in January. I've seen anecdotal reports that the new version is even better for slow growers so I intend to order a new batch for my young'uns.

Agreed, eating Clarks is better than not eating anything so it's great to have that option for those who outright refuse CGD.

However, I wouldn't mix the two. I'd feed either-or.

Every commercial diet for animals follows a specific formulation and nutritional philosophy, developed by the manufacturer. Products are formulated to supply a balanced amount of nutrients in each portion size. When mixing different foods, instead of getting "the best of both", your animal likely isn't going to eat enough of either one to get the full benefit of a particular nutritional system designed and researched by a manufacturer. Supplementing with small amounts of fruit, yogurt and dusted insects making up less than 10% of the diet (just like with other pet treats) shouldn't throw off the overall nutritional value of one commercial diet.

In terms of reptiles and other "exotics" it's a little more complicated as some diets really aren't based on a lot of research, just what animals may or may not eat. That's not the case with Repashy, and Clark's is probably also a respectable brand.

(FYI for more information on pet food I recommend http://www.dogfoodproject.com/ which is specific to dog food, obviously, but contains info that could be carried over to other pets as well).

Good luck with your little ones!
    Last edited by Spyral; 04-05-2010 at 05:16 AM.
    Specializing in Crested Geckos
    Working with Uromastyx | Uroplatus | PI Chahoua
    Also keeping: Australian Shepherds (Chester & Sadie)
    Moon Valley Reptiles | MVR @iherp | Facebook