Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TAIL ROT? Tail Fungus? Help!

Thanks

Unhappy TAIL ROT? Tail Fungus? Help!

I have 3 babies that hatched about 6-7 months ago, and they have been living peacefully together in a 5 gallon tank for their entire lives. This weekend, I noticed one of them had dropped his tail! It had been looking a little strange on the end, but I figured he had just dipped it in his food and it had dried or something, when I tried to clean it off with a wet tissue, he was very unhappy with me, so I just let him be... A couple days later, he is missing his tail! He looks like an unhappy little froglet So sad. I am very worried because now his brother has the same problem! Black, almost necrotic looking tail tissue. I don't know what to do! Last Wednesday their light went out, but since I was starting a new job and kept getting off after the petstore closed, I didn't get them a new one until Saturday... In that time, the substrate looked like it got a little moldy (3 days- it has been very warm here, so I didn't worry about them getting cold, the temperature without the light stayed above 70 the whole time), so when I got them a new light, i got them a new larger tank and new substrate, and noticed that one of my older hatchlings was missing his tail. I couldn't find the tail anywhere! (ew, I hope nobody ate it). As I said I have 3 hatchlings in a tank together. My first thought was that the tail-less one got attacked by his brothers, but now that I see his sibling's tail, I am starting to wonder if there's a fungus going around my tank. Should I move the unaffected hatchling out of the tank? Get him a seperate one? Help!? Has anyone ever heard of this?

This is a pic of the second one's tail- the one that I am worried will fall off! http://s956.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=IMG_0247.jpg

Here is a pic of the babies when they were just hatched (tails intact ) http://s956.photobucket.com/albums/a..._43769017_.jpg

Here is a pic of the tail-less gecko
    http://s956.photobucket.com/albums/a...ogletgecko.jpg

Here is another pic of the tail fungus or whatever it is:
    http://s956.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=IMG_0248.jpg

Thanks

Why won't it let me post all my pictures??? Grrr! Here's the most important one at least: the pic of the tail that might fall off next: http://s956.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=IMG_0247.jpg

Thanks

None of your links are working for me but I bet they are picking on each other. 3 6-7 month old geckos in a 5 gallon tank is too small imo. Two or more of them could be males beating each other up when you are not around to see.

Thanks

Yeah---its not fungus, or rot at all. Its called a hungry, hunt happy gecko thinking that its cagemates tails are the big F. Food. Does the one with a tail still have a healthy tail? If so, there's your culprit.

You need to split them up. Babies compete for everything. They are not meant to live together.
    Meg
    THE GECKO ALCHEMIST
    on facebook

Thanks

IMHO...

Your tank is way to small for 3 geckos any bigger than a month or two old. You need to separate them immediately into their own tanks. I would do hospital set ups for each of them.

The tail tip of the one looks like it will fall of soon. You need to keep an eye on it and make sure the necrosis dues not spread any further up the tail. Some people would tell you to cut it off but at this point I dont think that is necessary and would IMHO cause more harm than good. Personally the only thing you can do at this point besides a vet visit is give it a room temp sauna and wipe it off lightly with a q-tip. A little organic soap could only help. Make sure the gecko is housed alone and keep an eye on it.

Best of luck.
    Sarah & Jake
    LunarGecko.net
    Feel free to check out our Fauna reviews or follow us on FaceBook!
    You can also check out most of our animals on our iherp page.

Thanks

Ahh links working for me now. Ya that is definitely them picking on each other. I think the tail will heal on it's own at this point, try not to keep it overly moist for a little bit. And like Lunar said get them their own cages.

Thanks

Ah thank you guys so much!!! I had no idea they were too big to be together! I'm glad they aren't going to die of some terrible fungus. But you think the end of the little one's tail will fall off? That sucks. Oh well, I hope it doesn't spread. Tomorrow I will put them in seperate cages.

To Meg: I have 3 babies, one of them is perfectly healthy, no tail problems, one is missing a tail, and one has a damaged tail tip! So you think the one who did it is the one with no damage on him at all?

Thanks

Let me clarify something I don't think the whole tail will fall off. Just a bit above the 'black area' is where the break will most like happen.
    Sarah & Jake
    LunarGecko.net
    Feel free to check out our Fauna reviews or follow us on FaceBook!
    You can also check out most of our animals on our iherp page.

Thanks

Yeah--your full tail baby is more than likely, the culprit. I keep my hatchlings together for a bit after they hatch, before they go solo. I find they grow better this way. But I was recently too slow for a pair, and one nipped the others tail, and a week later, when I had the new bin set up I opened the lid off the pair, and there was a new wee frogbutt no tail in sight. I know his sibling ate it.

I learned my lesson.
    Meg
    THE GECKO ALCHEMIST
    on facebook

Thanks

It could be possible the end of the tail won't fall off. I had that happen with 2 of my babies in the past. The end of the tail healed, but one has a small twist in it and the other one just has a mark at the end. They are still fully functional. Good luck!