Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Leachie sexing

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shauna View Post
    lol.. she/he is not a new addition I have had her for a little over a year
    I just always thought she was a she as the breeder said she was maybe a female. so dont want to blame him he is a great breeder and honorble to deal with.

thanks for your info matt you have been very helpful
    Beautiful gecko!!! Really a gorgeous leachie. I know you might not want to mention the breeder's name but I'd really like to know where you got it...
    1.0.0 - Eunectes murinus (Green Anaconda)
    0.1.0 - Chamydosaurus kingii (Frilled Dragon)
    ∞.∞.∞ - Rhacodactylus "all-of-'em-us"
    And many other species of Diplodactyline and Carphodactyline gecko

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aschnell View Post
    Beautiful gecko!!! Really a gorgeous leachie. I know you might not want to mention the breeder's name but I'd really like to know where you got it...
    ok he/she is Island E bought from E.Wagner and he bought the wild caught parents from Philippe de Vosjoli. She/he was born on 11-12-08 (so only 1 year and 5 months old I thought she was older) and she is right now at 123 grams roughly 8-9"
    RockStarReptile.com

Thanks

I had a pretty lengthy discussion via phone with Steve Cemelli the other about this very thing, since I just bought a new male from him that is only about a month old and I want to verify the sex 100% with my own eyes asap.

From our conversation, I came away with this:

Females DO NOT have pores, Males do, the problem is being able to tell the difference between the false pores and the real ones. If you can use a microscope or loupe or a photo editing program to see close enough, you should be able to tell if the pores are actual holes or not. Sometimes females can have what looks like pores, but they are false and smooth across the top. Try looking at a slight angle, straight on is difficult to tell their depth. Also, by doing it this way we should be able to sex our leachies much earlier than is commonly believed to be possible.

I'm going to take a set of pics of my "male" soon to verify for sure, and I'll post them here so we can all see them.

Thanks

You 100% have a male and a really nice looking one at that. It's always nice to be able to get an F1 as well.

Thanks

Females DO NOT have pores, Males do, the problem is being able to tell the difference between the false pores and the real ones. If you can use a microscope or loupe or a photo editing program to see close enough, you should be able to tell if the pores are actual holes or not. Sometimes females can have what looks like pores, but they are false and smooth across the top. Try looking at a slight angle, straight on is difficult to tell their depth. Also, by doing it this way we should be able to sex our leachies much earlier than is commonly believed to be possible.
    Leachies CAN be sexed at about 6-10grams with a microscope or loupe. Pseudo pores can be found on females and real pores found on males look about the same until the animal reaches sexual maturity. The pitting you get with male pores is a sent gland that does not 'awaken' till sub adulthood. This is one of the reasons people go with the number of rows of pores to sex them younger. Its imo very hard to tell the difference between types of pores till they are older. Hope that helps a little.
    Sarah & Jake
    LunarGecko.net
    Feel free to check out our Fauna reviews or follow us on FaceBook!
    You can also check out most of our animals on our iherp page.