Thread: paging Mr. Parks....

Thanks

Default paging Mr. Parks....

Matt,
    Just wondering when the "Park's Master Photo 101" coarse will be avaibable for those of us that are photo chalenged??

I mean it's not like you have anything else to do with your time right

Israel

Thanks

Oh boy....................well let me first say that I am not at all a professional photographer, in fact, I only know what I need to know to take decent pics of my geckos.

Most people wonder how I get the white background, because most cameras will leave the picture looking grey at best. If your letting your camera figure out how to take the pic, you will almost always end up with a greyish background, but you can try playing with the metering mode and your camera may allow you to adjust the exposure level while letting the camera figure out the rest.

In order to get the really nice white background, and crisp images, along with good depth of field (where the whole gecko is in focus), you need to have a good source of light. I use an alienbees 800 flash unit available at www.alienbees.com and a bounce umbrella. I have a 3 sided box constructed out of wood and white glossy poster board to reflect the the flash from all directions and cut down on shadows. Using the manual mode on my camera (Canon Rebel XT with 50mm macro lens) I set the shutter speed to 1/160 to 1/200, ISO is set at 100, and the aperture setting or f-stop to 25.
    Of the equipment I invested in the flash unit and umbrella made the biggest difference, you don't necassarily need the rebel xt to get a good web quality pic but the 8 megapixel is nice if you are going to print your pics. I do recommend a camera with a decent macro feature or a camera that you can exchange lenses on. You should also try to get a camera that allows you to control the manual settings.

Well thats about the extent of knowledge on the subject.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Matthew Parks For This Useful Post:

Lucia (07-19-2017)

Thanks

now the million dollar question is........ how do u get them to sit still long enough to take pictures of them ?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by max power
    now the million dollar question is........ how do u get them to sit still long enough to take pictures of them ?

I am the gecko whisperer.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Parks
    Oh boy....................well let me first say that I am not at all a professional photographer, in fact, I only know what I need to know to take decent pics of my geckos.
    I thought you would like that(such a humble guy) I have a few questions:

What size of umbrella are you using? Is it white or trans?

Could you be so kind as to post some pics of the three sided box that you are talking about?

All kinding aside...you really do take some awsome pics...and I for one really think that it's cool of you to share what you have learned from what I'm sure were countless hours researching and playing with your camera...thanks a lot for the info Matt!!

Israel
    Last edited by max power; 05-09-2006 at 02:09 PM.

Thanks

I am using the 32" silver/white umbrella. I use the white side. As for the box, I just tore out the poster board yesterday because it needs to be replaced but I'll get some pics of it when I put it back together..............It's really not impressive at all...........1X2 frame and poster board.......LOL but it works.

-Matt

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by max power
    No, the real million dollar question is...you paid how much for that flash unit? YIKES!! I'll stick with my crappy lighting for now. *sigh*
    ~ Dorothy ~

4.7 Crested Gecko ~ 2.0.1 Chahoua ~ 0.1 Gargoyle
    1.2 Leopard Gecko ~ 1.0 Bearded Dragon ~ 1.1 Pictus
    1.0 Anole ~ 1.0 Box Turtle ~ 1.0 Tree Frog

Thanks

It hurts a little less when you know that you can write it off.