Thread: Boy Fight?

Thanks

Default Boy Fight?

Well I just had quite a scare. :eek2:

I cleaned out all of my tanks and stirred them up this weekend. Apparently I left a gecko sized gap in my divided tank which holds two adult males, Gimli on one side and Frodo on the other. Just now, I went to change food bowls and give Frodo his last feeding before I ship him to Ohio on Wednesday. I look in his side of the tank, and Frodo is hanging there--clamped onto Gimli's jaw. Gimli is hanging from a jungle vine from his back legs holding onto Frodo. My first thought was "Oh my God! Gimli killed Frodo and he's eating him!"

So I quickly grab Frodo and they both dart apart. I gave them both a good once over and they are both free of nips or bites or any injuries that I can see. Is this how they fight?

Thanks

That sounds frightening! I would guess there might be bruising, even if you can't see it, or stress. Hopefully he is okay.
    Dagan. Illumination Exotics Facebook. iHerp. Artwork.
    ~Illumination Exotics~

Thanks

Gah! I would freak out if I saw something like that.
    A.K.A. Luarazzi

2.2.1 Crested Geckos

Thanks

Bruising is pretty immediate and obvious with mating. Not sure about jaw locking though. I will keep a close eye...

Thanks

I recently witnessed something similar between two of my females, but when the one let go, there were no marks whatsoever (at the time, neither was making noise to complain either). It made me wonder whether geckos have inhibited bite like dogs who are determining who's on top, but don't actually injure each other, just do enough to get the point across (I'm talking most dogs here, not those with aggression problems).
    (My apologies to those who cringe at comparing reptile behavior to mammal behavior).
    1.2 humans, 0.2 canines, 1.1 felines, 1.1 parakeets, 0.1 corn snake, 2.7 crested geckos, 30+ fresh water fish (mostly guppies and tetras).

Thanks

I've seen a male/male fight before. They certainly bite each others faces. Though, my males were aggressively throwing their heads and biting at limbs and heads. They were making a large amount of noise. I had trouble breaking them apart and ended up getting bitten while I was trying to separate them.

Thanks

When my two males got into a fight (one of the males was supposed to be a female, he didn't develop a bulge until he was 27 grams) the one latched onto the others tail and they were running around like crazy with the one hanging off the end of the other. I had to push on the side of the one guy's jaws to get him to let go.

Thanks

That sounds like a VERY tame boy fight to me...you're lucky nobody was injured, including yourself!

I had a friend up in NH years ago who was raising two juvies in the same cage...she didn't know much about cresties (and neither did I, back then!!). Turned out they were both boys. One day, they just started attacking each other and vocalizing like mad. They didn't even have bulges yet! And of course neither of us really knew to look for pores. We separated them, but the next day one of them dropped his tail. And they were just juvies...I've heard that adult male/male fights are a lot worse.
    2.4.1 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Zappa, Basset, Mo, Sprocket, Sparrow, Ellie, Jenga) 0.0.1 Rhacodactylus auriculatus (Dr. Doctor) 1.0.0 Pogona vitticeps (Xander) 0.1.0 Eublepharis macularius (Gaia) 1.1.0 Hemitheconyx caudicinctus (Oluyemi, Yoruba) 1.0.0 Chamaeleo calyptratus (Faizal) Fish tank [15g] (betta Sputnik, many apple snails, and nameless mollies)