Thread: New gecko Yoshi!!

Thanks

Thumbs up New gecko Yoshi!!

Hey guys! I just recently received my crested gecko, its unsexed but a probable female. I have her in a 18x18x24 inch tank with a lot of climbing vines, plants, and even a waterfall. But she hasnt seemed to utilize all of her surrounding. Will she begin to explore after a while if so how long? And any tips on teaching Yoshi to hunt? She gives up pretty quick.

Thanks

My geckos aren't and never were interested in crickets. I stick to CGD ordered from this site.

The cresties are nocturnal, so perhaps she does explore but when you're asleep. That's usually the way of things, hehe. Or she may just be settling in still.
    Dagan. Illumination Exotics Facebook. iHerp. Artwork.
    ~Illumination Exotics~

Thanks

Haha! Right that would make sense! Im going to stay up one night and watch her! And since she is in a new pretty big place im worried that shes not finding her CDG, I have been taking her out and feeding her myself every other day. Good idea?

Thanks

It is really difficult for me to visualize the size of your tank since I use aquariums instead of the reptile tanks. If she's very young, I'd put her in something smaller. Under 10 grams should go in a large critter keeper or ten gallon tank (I would think). If she's an adult, though, the cage size should be fine.

But I've heard of others taking their geckos out to hand-feed them. Not too bad...but what if you go on vacation? Don't know if they can get too used to it.
    Dagan. Illumination Exotics Facebook. iHerp. Artwork.
    ~Illumination Exotics~

Thanks

True, hmm...

Thanks

Smile

If you just recently got her, it could take her a while to feel at home enough to eat. Also depends a smidge on what she was eating before (and considering you said "received", I assume a breeder, and since you're on here, I assume one of these breeders, hehe, so safe enough to assume that she's safely established on the CGD, rendering this entire point irrelevent....)

And I know the type of enclosure you have, and depending on the size of her, it may be slightly too big for her to find the food, but before moving her I'd suggest just leaving it out in a couple different places in the tank and waiting a few days to give her some time to adjust to the change. You can try hand-feeding if you're still concerned after a few days, but a couple of sources I've read state that hand-feeding could possibly do more harm than good, especially in terms of getting them to eat voluntarily. Good luck! Pics maybe?? O

Thanks

Thanks! And yes I received my gecko from pangea! lol But thats good to hear that my tank isnt totally out of the picture, i put a lot of work into it and not to mention $$$. And thats a good idea ill be posting pics soon. Thanks!