Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heat pack or no heat pack

Thanks

Default Heat pack or no heat pack

We are actually going to have some mild weather this week! Toledo weather 56-60 on Wed with a low of 40. NJ weather where geckos are getting shipped to will be high of 55 and a low of 40. Would you suggest using the 40 hr uniheat pack for this ride?
    lets just say I have a lot of stuff
    www.sublimereptiles.com
    Facebook
    BOI

Thanks

That's what I have used in that situation with no problems.
    -Aaron

R. Ciliatus,R. Chahoua(P.I. & Mainland)

Buyer Reviews:
    http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...d.php?t=237728

Thanks

i personally would use one but i'd lay about 1/2" of folded newspaper directly on top of the heatpack to keep it from heating to the maximum temperature. i think that possibly being exposed to 40F for 8 hours or so would be a little risky. plus, you have 20 degrees above the high for both locations which is quite a large room for error i just wouldn't pack the little bugger until the last minute. i'm kind of curious to see what other people think. maybe this should have been a poll. lol
    -Kevin
    Kevin and Steph
    http://www.sadlerreptiles.com
    Follow us on Facebook and Twitter

Thanks

Yeah. I make the sub compartments with the foam when weather is like that. Then put the heat on one side and the geckos on the other. If it was cooler I would just leave the heat pack wrapped up in paper towels in the same compartment. I think JB put a video of her opening up her leaf tail box. It shows how I do my boxes. If you look you can see how big of a space I put between the heat and the animal. You can just cut a piece of foam and place it between, like a wall, as well...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwPEl...eature=channel
    Sarah & Jake
    LunarGecko.net
    Feel free to check out our Fauna reviews or follow us on FaceBook!
    You can also check out most of our animals on our iherp page.

Thanks

See I did that before Sarah when I was testing the phase 22 packs, I did a phase 22 pack and then made a foam divider and placed a normal heat pack in that new little compartment with only a few holes in the divider and the phase 22 pack up against the holes. As far as the temps went, it stayed the same as when i didnt offer a heat pack, but that was in a room where the constant temp was at 50 degrees. And the box I quoted shipping on is 8 x 8 x 8, 2 geckos will be in there, not leaving a whole lot of space to add in a second compartment, or even a big newspaper barrier between the geckos and the heat pack. Jumping up to the larger size box adds on an extra $5 to shipping. Maybe I should just wait a little while longer. I just know they have really been wanting their geckos, although patiently waiting I know how much it sucks to have to wait to recieve a gecko.
    lets just say I have a lot of stuff
    www.sublimereptiles.com
    Facebook
    BOI

Thanks

Its gonna depend on how thick your foam is... Jake messed up one time when I sent him to home depot to get foam and he get the really thin kind, like 1/8 inch stuff. SO I sent him back and got the correct kind (he was unhappy with me for this) but I kept the thin stuff and use it for the dividers.
    You could try stacking the geckos and placing the foam wall, like a basement, below them? I have not done this with heat but I have done it with cold....
    Sarah & Jake
    LunarGecko.net
    Feel free to check out our Fauna reviews or follow us on FaceBook!
    You can also check out most of our animals on our iherp page.

Thanks

I use a heatpack anytime overnight temps are below 50 degrees... unless daytime temps are over 80. If temps are warmer, I put more packing paper between the gecko and the heat pack. I've seen some put the heat pack on the side of the box so the gecko can somewhat regulate their own temperature as well, but I still put my heat pack on the top.
    www.harleygecko.com : Color, Contrast, Structure
    Specializing in Harlequins and Pinstripes in Red, Cream and Yellow
    3.9.20+ crested geckos
    Harley - my first gecko, retired and spoiled
    Pickle - unsexed leachie

Thanks

I would use a heat pack.
    If using a shallow cup for a young or small gecko I will tape the heat pack to the styrofoam lid. If I have a tall cup or have two stacked, I will tape it to the side.

Thanks

heat pack here to.
    Roxanne
    and the zoo
    www.geckoluv.com

Thanks

Hey, I am shipping TO Toledo this week--and using a 40 hour pack. Also an 8x8x8, I'll put the pack between the box and the styrofoam liner on the side since I am shipping two.

I would like to ship Wed for Thursday delivery for the best weather window. I know some don't ship after Tuesdays but I hate to miss this window. Feedback anyone?