Thread: personality change

Thanks

Default personality change

So my first, oldest and calmest CG had a bad experience. I changed the substrate and he thought he saw a cricket insted got a big mouth full of eco earth. My OTHER gecko did this before and I just reach in grab him and ran some water by his mouth until it all washed out. But when I went to reach for this gecko he bit me and held on until I got him to the sink to wash the dirt out. Now he is always licking the air getting into a defensive I'm going to bite you mode when I put my hand near him. I have only held him once after this happened and its been 3 weeks but he is still not himself. Is my most chilled/relaxed gecko going to be scared forever?

Thanks

Hmm, I don't really know what to tell you. It depends on his individual personality...chances are good that what's worked for me in the past isn't going to make a difference with you. But here's my best advice: if he can see your eyes, squint them. All creatures know to be wary of circles, and you've got two of 'em right on your face. Squinting has worked for me with many animals (cresties included) before, especially with taming and rehab. Circles are a source of panic for many creatures, and it's worse with those that don't suckle as babies (so...most everything that isn't a mammal). Nobody likes the feeling that they're being watched!!

If you're scared for your hands, I'd recommend wearing gloves (latex or leather/pleather is best...you don't want fibers getting stuck in his toe hairs) for a while, until you both get used to each other again. Be patient with him, but don't be scared that he's going to bite you.

I hope this was any help. Good luck!!
    2.4.1 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Zappa, Basset, Mo, Sprocket, Sparrow, Ellie, Jenga) 0.0.1 Rhacodactylus auriculatus (Dr. Doctor) 1.0.0 Pogona vitticeps (Xander) 0.1.0 Eublepharis macularius (Gaia) 1.1.0 Hemitheconyx caudicinctus (Oluyemi, Yoruba) 1.0.0 Chamaeleo calyptratus (Faizal) Fish tank [15g] (betta Sputnik, many apple snails, and nameless mollies)

Thanks

If my geckos seem skittish, I lay my hand flat in front of them and then gently nudge them with my other hand. They crawl onto my hand as a platform rather than a scary grabbing object.
    Dagan. Illumination Exotics Facebook. iHerp. Artwork.
    ~Illumination Exotics~

Thanks

I dont care about my hands I just want him to be relaxed again, I have tried to make him jump on my hand by touching his back leg all he wants to do is arch his back to bite whatever touched him. Normally the leg thing worked but not now.

Thanks

Sometimes I just scoop my geckos up really abruptly and then hold very still, allowing them to jump on my body or from one hand to the other. Eventually they relax and seem fine.
    Dagan. Illumination Exotics Facebook. iHerp. Artwork.
    ~Illumination Exotics~