Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Preventing tail loss

Thanks

Heads up, prolonged heat can cause tail drops. We had a heatwave this summer (got up to 113 here) and two of mine dropped tails because they were just stressed out from it, even tho' I moved them at night to a friend's house that has central air before the worst of the heatwave hit. So be careful to keep em below 85 degrees if you can. Anything above that prolonged can stress them out and cause tail drops, especially if they're used to cooler temps in your home.
    That aside, sometimes, loud sudden noises can do it too.
    Help! Crested Geckos! 0.1.Leachie, 2.1.1 Gargs, 1.0 Chahoua, 2.1. Blue Tongue Skinks, 1.1. White Lined Geckos, 1.3. African Fat Tails, 2.2.0 Tokay Geckos, 1.0. Giant Day Gecko, 2 tarantulas

Thanks

Wow. That must have been a sad blow to have the heat take 2 tails like that. Luckily I'm in CT so we don't tend to get terrible heat waves like that, but I will keep an eye on it none-the-less.

Thanks

Ah, Connecticut, my old home state!
    Summers there can get horrendous (hot and humid, blarrgh!), but most homes have AC, so you should be fine.
    Its startling when a gecko drops its tail, but they are designed to do so when terrified or very stresssed out, so in the long run, no harm done. If you ever happen upon it, be prepared for the tail to flail around rapidly at first, almost to the point of buzzing! It will slow down, but still move for up to around 5 minutes, possibly longer.
    I rather like my frog butts. The funniest part is watching them try and figure out their balance without the weight of the tail that they were used to!
    Help! Crested Geckos! 0.1.Leachie, 2.1.1 Gargs, 1.0 Chahoua, 2.1. Blue Tongue Skinks, 1.1. White Lined Geckos, 1.3. African Fat Tails, 2.2.0 Tokay Geckos, 1.0. Giant Day Gecko, 2 tarantulas

Thanks

That sounds funny. It's a shame they don't regrow them, but I have seen some very cute little frog butts so it'd be alright if it did happen. And I love CT (I love New England in general). I love how distinct all the seasons are.