Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lethargic gecko, new owner

Thanks

Default lethargic gecko, new owner

I purchased my first crested yesterday, he is pretty small imo. Maybe 2.5 inches? Either way he/she is a youngin'. By the way, his name is MacGruber ;D

He was pretty cool when I picked him out, jumpin' around from hand to hand and scurrying up my arm. However since I got him settled in he has been super lethargic. From the time I went to bed last night until just about a few minutes ago (about a 26hr period) he had not appeared to move once.

As of now is cage is quite bare. It is a 10g aquarium turned on its side. I have one live plant as well as a hollowed out log used for fish tanks as his only decor. I ordered him some vines and bendable branches online last night, the prices in the store were ungodly.

My temps stay very cold in my house, Im cheap ;] It is about 60 during the day, 65 in the evenings and back down to 60 over night. Today I bought him a daytime and nighttime bulb combo pack (60w) to hopefully get it up a few degrees for him.

So questions:
    Is his behavior quite normal for being relocated? Also Im sure his lack of having any really good hiding spots to make him feel secure is causing some of his inactivity.
    Is the low temperature perhaps playing a part in his lethargy?
    Is my lighting choice ok?
    Is it alright to have a heat lamp sitting on the glass of the tank?

Thanks

well 60 is pretty cold for a crestie, which would explain the lethargy. try to get the temps in at least part of the cage up to the 70's.
    also, he's probably pretty freaked about by the move, and the lack of hiding places doesnt help.

if you get the temps up, get him plenty of hiding spots, and let him settle he should be fine. just dont let the temps get over 80.
    dont put the lamp straight on the glass, it could crack it. if its one of those clamp lamps, find a way to clamp it so it shines on part of the tank, just be careful it doesn't get too hot.
    Always check the Fauna BOI before you buy!
    :: iHerp :: Template Reptiles :: Canine Habits ::

Template Reptiles on Facebook

Thanks

Try putting him in something much smaller, babies tend to stress out in big cages. And when remember when thinking decoration, you ant 3 of the 4 sides of the cage covered, and 50% of the total space to be plants/hiding spots/vines. He is probably lathargic from being stressed out due to the environment he is in. Once you get him snug into something smaller with more places to hide, he will perk up. Your temps are fine, although at lower temps they dont eat as much, they can truely tolerate it. I would however consider since he is a new addition, try to get him slightly warmer, 70 they seem to do a bit better at.
    lets just say I have a lot of stuff
    www.sublimereptiles.com
    Facebook
    BOI

Thanks

How long should he be kept in something smaller? If i were to say put him in some sort of a sterilite or similar plastic storage container of appropriate size I wouldnt be able to view him obviously which would be a bummer. (also what would the appropriate size be) And also Im not sure how I heat something like that as Im sure a heat lamp would wreak havoc on it.

Thanks

Normally you keep geckos in med-large kk's until they are 8-10g. Sterelite containers will work, I use these for my hatchlings-juvies, just be sure it is well ventilated
    www.sublimereptiles.com
    Facebook
    BOI

Thanks

where do i aquire a good scale anyway? do i go to walmart and look for something in the kitchen area, or do big box pet stores sell them? The petco I got this guy from doesnt carry them however I havent looked at petsmart.

Thanks

Matt sells a fantastic scale here! Otherwise I would suggest Target over Walmart only because I know the Walmarts here dont sell digital scales. Normally you dont find them in pet stores, online usually has better sources.
    www.sublimereptiles.com
    Facebook
    BOI

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rubberduckey273 View Post
    dont put the lamp straight on the glass, it could crack it. if its one of those clamp lamps, find a way to clamp it so it shines on part of the tank, just be careful it doesn't get too hot.
    There isnt much nearby to clamp, however I clamped on the only possible option and the bulb itself is now about 4 inches away from the glass. Is this do-able?

Thanks

I agree with the others: smaller tank, more hides and climbs etc, and raise the temp a little. The main culpret might be the lack of hides and climbs. The lack of cover might be stressing him into the inactivity. If you are looking for a temporary material for small geckos until you can buy more permanent ones, mine like to hide and climb on the card board material eggs are delivered in. Just be sure they dry out after misting so there is a humidity cycle. Plus, card board toilet paper rolls make good little caves.
    Eric
    1.2.7.4 Rhacodactylus ciliatus
    1.0 Phelsuma laticauda

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by statman View Post
    There isnt much nearby to clamp, however I clamped on the only possible option and the bulb itself is now about 4 inches away from the glass. Is this do-able?
    I'm afraid 60w may get it too hot do you have a way to check it?
    Specializing in R. Chahoua