Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New crested gecko! have a few q's

Thanks

Honestly the best idea is to keep feeding the mrp gecko diet it has all the needed calcium and nutrition. At that age its usually hard to notice if foods missing. I use a milk jug cap and some smaller geckos it never looks like the foods touched they just have very small stomachs and you don't notice. Another problem could be the geckos used to the fruit smoothie and insects is holding out for them. Kind of like asking a child if they would like an apple or candy.

What size enclosure is he in? If you have him in too large of an enclosure that could also be an issue with finding food.
    Also my geckos prefer food on the 2nd day I feed mon, weds, fri and keep the food bowls in at all times.

Thanks

If he wasn't being fed CGD at the store just "fruit smoothies" then it's going to take him awhile to want to eat the MRP. It would be like you eatting all steaks and fruit smoothies and then just eatting this one healthy smoothie with everything in it. It would take you some getting used to. I've had geckos hold out for weeks before they started eating the crested gecko diet. They won't start themselves to death. My geckos won't eat the mrp unless it's 3 days old. Also no more crickets untill he eats teh MRP it's the best thing you can feed him. I know your new to it all but please don't give him the smoothie or bugs untill he starts eatting CGD.

Thanks

I'm by no means an expert, but you've been given some sound advice in the previous posts in this thread, and also some links to some other really good threads, yet after a couple of days of your crestie not eating the MRP you have switched to crickets.

I've seen posts in the past where someone had posted a pic of their crestie with severe MBD, and he wanted to know why. After a bit of investigation it turned out all he fed his gecko was crickets

It may seem difficult to take crickets off the menu, but i suggest for the health of your pet you do so until he/she takes on MRP. Or if you do continue with crickets then at least make sure you are dusting your crickets with a decent supplement (such as the Calcium Plus) - that's if you're not already doing so?

Thanks

the breeder we got our geckos from also did the smoothie/cricket diet. had been for years with great success. if you know what you are doing and putting all the right stuff into the smoothie it isn't bad for them, but you have to know what you are doing!

i was making her recipe of smoothie for a while (basically just the summer) but then fruit prices went up and they weren't as juicy so i've switched. at first we tried the CGD, but since we can't get that as easily as the Clark's diet that is now what they eat.

it took them quite a while to switch over. especially with our male...he's our problem child!! he's a super spazz who is very particular about his food!! i posted about my troubles getting him to eat and ended up getting some GREAT suggestions. try putting something fruity on top of the tank so they can smell it (but not get to it). something about the smell stimulated his appetite (i am assuming here!), but the night i put some of his old smoothie on top of his tank was the first night he ate the food i was offering him!!

try putting apple sauce or something in a bottle cap on top of the tank - see if that'll help! but don't be surprized if it doesn't eat for a few weeks. it is true it won't starve itself to death - just be patient!! you are not mean or a bad owner for not giving it treats...er... crickets. consistency is KEY

like i had to repeat several times to my husband who was all 'but they waaaant them' 'we are the ones with the big brains...we know what they should have - they don't!'

Thanks

You really have been given some good advice here and some good threads to use. Have a look at some of the pictures of MBD disorders for some motivation for why you should tough it out and not give the crickets until your gecko is on the cgd and then only give the crickets once per week. I had to ween mine off the fruit smoothies and it was hard to do - I kept thinking they were starving but they eventually got down to eating it and are healthier for it.

Plus, and of equal importance - you say you are using natural light. So am I. Watch the heat as the seasons change and the light comes in at different angles. If direct light hits it - especially in a west or south window - the tank can trap the heat in and raise the temperature over 100 which could stress or even kill the gecko. I am not an expert on how heat sensitive they are but everything I have read says to keep the temperature under low 80s.

Hope this helps.
    Eric
    1.2.7.4 Rhacodactylus ciliatus
    1.0 Phelsuma laticauda