Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New crested gecko! have a few q's

Thanks

Default New crested gecko! have a few q's

hi i just picked up my crested gecko @ a reptile show and its 4.5 months old. the humidity is @ 70 and the temp is @ 73. he has no lamp just the day light from my window. i fed him mrp last night but it didnt eat any of it so i removed it in the morning. i spryed it this morning and again 8 hrs later when i got home from work. i noticed that he hasent moved much in those 8 hours. hes been hanging on the glass of theside of the tank in the opened. i thought the like to hid behind the plants during the day and i wanted to kno if this was normal? the lizard did go to the washroom when i was bringing it home yesterday so i guess that was a good sign. do u think i should put some crickets in the tank or give it a few more days with the mrp?

thanks!

Thanks

Yeah, it'll often take a crestie a couple of days to a week or so to settle in and feel at home and really start chowing down. It's okay. What I do - put MRP in tonight, and leave the dish in there for tonight, tomorrow night, and then replace it Wednesday. Some geckos prefer it "fresh," some prefer it after it's been sitting out a little while.

They might hang on the glass, but it could be beneficial for you to add some more foliage to the enclosure to help cover some more of the empty glass space so your gecko has something to wrap its tail around/rest its tail on, assuming it has a tail, if it chooses to hang upside-down.

Thanks

k ill keep feeding it mrp the next few nights and c how it goes. and most of my tank is covered with plants just the side the gecko is hanging out at isnt lol also isnt it bad to leave the food out for a while?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 799 Posts

I have one female gecko that doesn't mind hanging out on the glass during the day if it's not too bright. There's plenty of foliage, she's just chillin' out I think.

I would hold off on crickets until you notice him eating the MRP reliably, otherwise he may regularly hold out for them.
    Specializing in Crested Geckos
    Working with Uromastyx | Uroplatus | PI Chahoua
    Also keeping: Australian Shepherds (Chester & Sadie)
    Moon Valley Reptiles | MVR @iherp | Facebook

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DiNick77 View Post
    also isnt it bad to leave the food out for a while?
    Unless you're noticing a bunch of mold, or you have a problem with fruit flies or something similar, the MRP can be good for 2 days. A lot of folks feed this way. You will probably find yourself wasting more food if you try to feed them fresh food every night.

And the only reason I mentioned more foliage for the glass is because some folks feel that if some geckos hang upside-down on bare glass, it can potentially lead to floppy tail, without something to wrap the tail around.

Thanks

ya the place i bought him from fed it crickets and fruit smoothes so i guess ill give it a week b4 i feed it crickets!

thanks

also when do u think i can start to handle it slowly?

Thanks

I'd give it a week or two to settle in before you handle it.

(Off-topic mod reminder: please be aware we have a rule about chatspeak here - we don't like having to delete posts but we do ask that you type out full words )

Thanks

thank you! how do i know that the gecko is not sick?

Thanks

A few things you can look out for as far as major health issues can be found in this thread and this thread. You also might want to flip through a few pages of the "health and breeding" subforum to get a feel for what is healthy and what isn't.

Thanks

Default a little help with feeding!

hi again! so my crested gecko still isnt eating is mrp so last night i fed it crickets and my gecko loved them! i herd him jumping all around the cage all night! now the breeder i got my gecko from fed it crickets 2 times a week and then a fruit smoothe the rest of the week. now should i try making a smoothe mix instead of giving it the mrp? and what fruits are good?

thanks