Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: dubia roach colony questions

Thanks

Default dubia roach colony questions

Hi,

I am thinking about starting a small colony of dubia's. It seems like I can save money on crickets in the long run. Are they healthier and packed with more "meat" than crickets?

Anyway, I don't have tons of geckos. I am looking to feed:

5 Cresties
    1 Chewie
    1 Garg (doesn't take crickets as of yet)

I plan to get a couple more geckos this year. Probably 2 more cresties and 1 more chewie.

Will a small colony fast outgrow the number of geckos I am looking to feed?

Also,

Is a 10 gallon with a heat pad underneath a good way to heat the roaches? You need to keep them at about 85 - 90 before they start breeding, right?

Thanks

Thanks

Owedalay.....

-They are definetly meatier and jucier.....

I think a small colony would be perfect for what you got if they all eat them. They dont stay small though if you breed them but it does take a little time to get going but once they do they really do. I just started mine a few months ago and its just starting to grow and 1 or 2 egg sacs lays alot of babies. Good thing is you can sell them off when they become excessive.

A ten gallon would be fine heated on one side with ventilation and daily misting. A darker tub is best since they like the dark and you only have to mist every few days.

Its pretty easy to make your own diet so id reccomend that if you plan on keeping them long term.

Hope that help!
    STEVEN

Thanks

I've found that the dubia don't produce quite as fast as one would expect. Granted I don't keep them quite as hot as many people swear by on the forums. I'd say a small part of the bin is in the 80-low90s directly above the heat tape. As mentioned you can always just sell off your surplus if the colony grows to rapidly.
    -Charles Mullen
    I'm looking for really nice chahoua.

Thanks

I'm with Charles. Before I bought mine people made it seem like these things were wildly productive and would never stop breeding, but it has taken me several months to build a healthy, viable colony. I have even had to add to it a few times to get things going.

I'm glad that I have them now but it really didn't take off like I was expecting, and I kept them hot, moist, and well fed.
    Charming Chewies: Specializing in Grand Terre and Pine Isle locales of chahoua.

Thanks

I agree it took a little while to get started.....but I just had a few sacs open up and theres nymphs everywhere.....
    STEVEN

Thanks

yes dont except to have tons of babies in 2 months time, it can take anywhere from 4-6 months to get a decent number of them. This is our second colony, we sold off the first one, only kept 4 behind, 3 boys and a girl (we were hoping maybe 3 girls and a boy..lol). Several months later I bought another boy (which we fed him off) and another girl(guy was only selling pairs). It wasnt until I ordered another 100 nymphs did production turn up on them. The larger number od dubias the more secure they feel. ANd tubs really are the way to go because sometimes they can climb the silicon. And we cut a hole in the lid and hot glued a screen to it, air flow is really vital to these guys because if they get too humid, they will all die off. And warmth is really needed. Low 80's they are slow to produce, temps 85 and up they seem to do best at. I actualy keep mine in a cabinet directly above the heat source of my beardies cage and on a daily basis it is 85-87 degrees up there.
    lets just say I have a lot of stuff
    www.sublimereptiles.com
    Facebook
    BOI

Thanks

Melissa is correct, a plastic tub is a better option as they can climb the silicone corners of an aquarium (ASK MY WIFE HOW I KNOW!***).

So too are the temp/ventilation suggestions. These are spot-on with my experiences.

Sincerely,
    Paul Turley

***= Thankfully, she bought the line that the 1.25" juvie that escaped my BTS tank was a TROPICAL BEETLE! If it would've been a winged male, I would've been in the doghouse for months!

Thanks

haha..I am trying to convince my wife to let me start a colony. I find the best way is to just do it and deal with the consequences later.

Thanks

lol, My husband says im werid cause most girls try to keep the "bugs" out and i always bring them in >.< i didnt know about the heat tho... I have mine at room temp.. What kind of heating pad is ok to use on plastic tubs?
    ~*~Amanda~*~
    Facebook iHerp
    www.WickedArboreals.com (Under Construction)
    *C.Ciliatus *R.Chahoua *R.Auriculatus *R.Sarasinorum *R.Leachianus

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sushigex View Post
    I've found that the dubia don't produce quite as fast as one would expect. Granted I don't keep them quite as hot as many people swear by on the forums. I'd say a small part of the bin is in the 80-low90s directly above the heat tape. As mentioned you can always just sell off your surplus if the colony grows to rapidly.
    In my experience they can have massive, massive population booms fast when the conditions suit them. I went from 200 to 20,000+ in about 18 months. I sold half and then they doubled again quick and I just kept on selling them dirt cheap to get them moved out. For a while there when I was keeping track of that baby production I was averaging 1200-1400+ babies per week. Whats even more fun is when males start to really put an effort into flying! They can really get far when they want to.