Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phase 22 heat/cool packs

Thanks

Default Phase 22 heat/cool packs

So I decided to run my own little test. I have made the container exactly how I would to ship it, and heated the phase 22 pack in the microwave.....apparently 1.30 min is way to long! The heat pack was like 210 degrees, so I need to let it cool a bit! We will see if that was the best choice or if keeping it really hot was the better option.

I plan on doing this experiment 2 ways, one in a very cold environment, the other in a cool environment. First experiment is in the very cold.

My freezer is a chilly 13.1 degrees F (-10.5C). this will obviously change a little bit due to people opening and closing the freezer door (we get hungry ya know!). But you can expect it to stay around 13 degrees. The temp was read with my Temp Gun.

The phase 22 pack was heated to 102.3 degrees F, this was read on my Temp Gun. The "geckos" box is a comfy 73 degrees right now.

The box was "shipped" at 4:14pm and should arrive at its destination at 11:15 tomorrow after noon. I know a little later then one would expect, but I work 5am-11pm tomorrow, so thats when I will pick the gecko up! So look back tomorrow for the results of this experiment.

Tomorrow I will run the second part of the experiment in an environment of roughly 58 degrees, and see how that turns out.

To be continued.....
    lets just say I have a lot of stuff
    www.sublimereptiles.com
    Facebook
    BOI

Thanks

So as it seems, the gecko in the freezer died. Well ok so there really wasnt a gecko in there, but had my thermometer sender thingy ma bob was a gecko, yeah it would be frozen.

Well the temps quickly declined with it. I lost the paper I wrote all the temps on...or I should say I think my mom threw it out....errr. But the inside temp of the freezer was 13 degrees. By the end of the experiment the inside temp of the box was a very chilly 9 degrees. It basically was warmer outside in the snow then in that box.

First attempt....total fail.

Second temp, I decided to heat the pack up to 132.7 degrees, warmer then the first experiment. The placement of the box is what I think is more true to life. My sunroom is a chilly 50 degrees right now (that is the surface area temp of the piece the box is sitting on), again read with my temp gun. I moved the box close to our sliding glass door as this will be the cooler part of the room. The glass window itself reads just above 40 degrees, so I am sure the outside temp of the surface area the box is sitting on will drop also. For the first few hours I will monitor inside and outside temps as the temps in the room will drop. I dont know what night time temps will be in the room, so I will be interested to know what the indoor temp back there is at 10/11pm.

Like I said I will keep you guys posted on how this one does. I plan to do another experiment or two useing these to see what way works best, using just the phase 22 pack, and the phase 22 pack with combination of a normal heat pack because I believe some people are confused by it. I think the reason is that because people are saying they stay between 65-75 degrees, so it is making people think it can switch phases within the box itself. But instead these work off of the heat energy it is supplied with, so I am really not surprised that the box in the freexer was frozen. If there is no heat energy to keep the heat pack warm, it will loose its warmth. If there is a low constant heat source, the heat pack will maintain that temp. So I am wondering if some sort of layering effect between styrofoam sheets to keep a normal uniheat heat pack in there to somehow supply the phase 22 pack with more heat energy to stay warm, without actually causing the box to warm. So we will have to see.

I will let ya guys know tomorrow after noon when my next box "arrives"!
    www.sublimereptiles.com
    Facebook
    BOI

Thanks

Thanks for all this information. I just purchased a few of these but I won't be using these until I hear the correct way to use them.

I appreciate those that have the time to figure this stuff out!

Thanks

OK so second experiement, gecko arrived safely, just kinda chilly!

As stated the pack was 132.7 degrees when the experiment started. The room in which the box was placed was 50 degrees. Starting time for the box was 5pm and the internal temp was 76.4 degrees. Like I said I do sleep, so some times will be missing.
    6pm 74.8
    7pm 67.4
    8pm 62.2
    9pm 60.9 At this time I checked the temp of the room 50 degrees
    10pm 61.1 At this time I checked the temp of the room 51 degrees
    11pm 60.7
    5am 59.1
    6am 59.1
    7am 58.8
    8am 58.7
    9am 58.6
    10am 59.1

So if the temps of the shipping are is around 50, the box stay slightly warmer, but who knows the exact shipping temp ranges that the box will endure. Also as stated the packs absorb the heat that is available to maintain an internal temp, which is why in the first experiement the temp was below freezing. Since the sunroom in my house was 50, the box was able to maintain a similar temp.

Next up I will be trying a combination of both a normal heat pack and the phase 22 pack. I will add in pictures so that those of you who had trouble imagining what I was talking about, you will be able to see it. The downfall is that I will have to use a larger box as the container I needed to use for my wireless thermometer, it is long and doesnt fit in a normal small deli cup. And since I want to know what the temps are inside of a plastic cup, as they may prove to be warmer then just in a box sitting there, we need to learn that. So head back in tomorrow after noon, I will have James keeping count of the temps as I will not be home from work until 4pm, so take a look back around 5pm tomorrow and I will have it posted.
    www.sublimereptiles.com
    Facebook
    BOI

Thanks

OK so the last experiment, it was a few days ago, I just had the time to fit here and really get it up down on the forum. I will upload the pics for it tonight, I havent had the time to do it. Discribing it might be difficult for people to understand, but I will try.
    I took a box, 12" x 8" x 7", the reason for the large box was I needed extra space. I put in a false wall on one side which was made of styrofoam, and put 3 large holes in it, the wall was only wide enough for a uniheat 40 hr heat pack. The reason for it divided is because these heat packs get very warm, I wanted to supply the pahse 22 pack with more heat without over heating the box and killing the "gecko" inside. I then took one of the phase 22 heat packs, this time heated to 143.7 degrees (the hottest so far I have done), and placed it up against the 3 holes in the wall. I then placed the "gecko" to the far side of the box, and packed it in as usual.
    Results:
    5pm 74.6 now at 5:30 I decided to take a look again and the internal temp was at 85
    6pm 72.3 drastic drop in 30 minutes
    7pm 64.7
    8pm 61.7
    9pm 60.2
    10pm 59.6
    11pm 59.3
    sleepytime zzzzzzz
    5am 59.1
    6am 59.0
    7am 59.0
    8am 59.1
    9am 59.3
    10am 59.3

The temps pretty much stayed the same as it did with the second experiment. Everything in the room was the same for the two of them with the room being at 50 degrees +/- a degree. My hope was that the extra heat pack in there would keep the phase 22 pack warmer then in the second experiment as the phase 22 pack works off of absorbin heat energy, then re-admitting it. I am wondering if there was not enough holes for enough heat to escape, or if they just needed to be bigger, I really dont know.

Any input people? Has anyone actually tried these yet? I know Limey bought some. I posted on the drendoboard and nobody freaking responded (snooty frog people..lol)! I will try posting again on there and see if anyone can help answer some questions on how they actually set them up for use.
    www.sublimereptiles.com
    Facebook
    BOI

Thanks

I don't have any input I just wanted to thank you for taking the time and effort to complete an experiment like this.
    Rosario's Reptiles: Project Creamy Things...target 2012 season
    3.8 Ciliatus, 1.2 Guttata, and 1.2 Felis Catus.

Thanks

Not real impressed so far. Kind of makes me nervous actually. I don't think I will be purchasing any anytime soon. I was really looking forward to this product.
    The frog people responding sure would be helpful!
    Thanks for all this testing!!

Thanks

This is what I have gathered so far. My tests with a single pack were similar to Melissas.

The frog people who are using these recommend a "frozen rodent" type shipping container, the ones that are thick styrofoam and that seal up tight. Also they use multiple packs. Apparently the heating and cooling of these packs is very subtle, so if they are put into an environment with a sudden temp change, they can't keep up. In order for them to be effective you need solid styro boxes to prevent the sudden heating and cooling from extreme temps.

Also the charging temp is 82 degrees, which will fully charge the pack for use as a heat pack, anything above that is unnecessary.

I ordered a few of the thick styro boxes to test out and see what happens.

Thanks

Matt, thicker then 1"? I was looking over some of the frog people stuff and I did notice that they tend to use 3-4 of these packs when shipping, they also are using the hard plastic ones, dont know if that makes a difference or not. But I was going to try doing another experiment but with 2 of the phase 22 packs (as thats how many I ordered from you). I can also get thicker styrofoam, that isnt an issue, maybe I will pick some up tomorrow and run another test tomorrow night and see what it says with the 1" thick and 3 packs vs thicker styrofoam and 3 packs. I just know if we can figure these things out, it will make shipping in both winter and summer easier on those of us who end up with both extreams and not just one!
    www.sublimereptiles.com
    Facebook
    BOI

Thanks

One inch thick is thick enough but they are using the boxes that are one molded piece of styro with a top that fits on with a groove. Hard to explain, it's what they ship frozen rodents in, and medical supplies. The guys I've talked said there is no difference in the hard case ones or the packs except that the hard case ones can clip together and form kind of a phase 22 box of it's own to go inside the styro box.

Keep me posted on how your testing goes, and I'll do the same.

Cheers!