Thread: dubia ratios

Thanks

Default dubia ratios

I decided to do a head count, it is a rough head count because as you know they can be fast little boogers! I have roughly 100 females and 50 males, is 2.1 ratio of female to male not high enough? We have been feeding off males more these last few weeks to my female beardie as our one leo large enough to eat an adult male....well he just will just kill them then leaven them dead, refuses to eat them. We have lots of nymphs, probably somewhere between 200-250, and tonight I am going to be feeding off around 50 of them to the baby cresties. I will continue to feed off a few more males as I am assuming you want more then 2 females per male, but what is the ratio you normally want to shoot for?
    Last edited by Sublime Reptiles; 02-25-2010 at 05:01 PM.
    lets just say I have a lot of stuff
    www.sublimereptiles.com
    Facebook
    BOI

Thanks

I think most people shoot for 4:1 female to male ratio. BTW, you might want to edit the second sentence of your post
    Charming Chewies: Specializing in Grand Terre and Pine Isle locales of chahoua.

Thanks

I think its a 4:1 ratio but Im not 100% sure. I got a surplus of males now to. I might need to get a beardie to be able to feed some off, lol!
    STEVEN

Thanks

I have been thinking...I really miss having a beardie because it would be a good way to efficiently dispose of excess males! Or an Ackie....:th_love:
    Charming Chewies: Specializing in Grand Terre and Pine Isle locales of chahoua.

Thanks

Pyxie frogs are a good way to deal with surplus B. dubia males...

...and culled animals (snakes, geckos, etc.)...

...and extra thawed feeder mice (damn, someone is in shed this week!),...
    ...and un-needed fingers or toes! :th_Jttesur:

Sincerely,
    Paul E. Turley

Thanks

How big does the beardie have to be to eat an adult male? Does it still apply with a beardie, the space between their eyes philosophy?
    I have a lot of males and my beardie is about 13" The smaller nymphs don't satisfy him...

Sorry to take this off topic.

Thanks

I wouldnt give a 13" beardie an adult. Normally rule of thumb for these guys is no larger then the distance then inbetween their eyes, and female dubias are actually larger bodied, males just have the wings which makes them appear to be bigger, but females are actually a tad larger. When your beardie is 16" I say yeah go for it, it should be large enough to take down an adult male dubia. For Hathor....I dont even think an adult hisser would stand much of a chase against her beasty self!
    lets just say I have a lot of stuff
    www.sublimereptiles.com
    Facebook
    BOI