Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Surgery for Sunberry

Thanks

Default Surgery for Sunberry

Sunberry and Gracie bred for the second time around 7 p.m. last night. I put them both together in a neutral steralite. Within four minutes after breeding began I am assuming she had pulled away from him. Sunberry was left with a prolapse that had not retracted on its own by 4 p.m. this afternoon.

I want to thank everyone who gave advice and well wishes through Ashley. I did follow the advice. I was up all night doing sugar soaks and putting honey on his prolapsed hemipenes. By this afternoon it had still not retracted and so I made an emergency visit to the vet.

She said that his tissue was still alive and healthy thanks to the soaks and she does not expect him to need any tissue removed. He does need surgery to shrink and replace his hemipenes and will be getting a purse stitch to hold them in overnight. He will be placed under anesthesia during the surgery.

I am anxiously awaiting the promised phone call after the surgery is completed. I would very much appreciate all the well wishes and prayers for our ( Sunberry is also very much loved by his "udder mommy" Ashley) beautiful boy.

Poor Sun at his first( and hopefully last) Doctors visit ..

Look, he's such a trooper, still smiling :P

I am posting a picture of him late last night for those that need to know what to expect. I am very new to breeding so I am not sure if this appearance is normal or not, but it not retracting for an extended period of time is not.

Mainly with this post, other than really hoping for prayers for Sun, I would like for those who are considering breeding just because to have something to look at to understand that breeding IS a huge responsibility. You can not go into it thinking this will not happen to you or that if it does that it is no big deal. These animals count on you to care for them and keep them safe. Please make sure you are ready for everything that could happen before you put a male and a female together!

Sunberry will be with the vet overnight. I can not wait to bring him home. I am a nervous wreck right now.

Thank you all again for any prayers and well wishes, and for listening to a sleep deprived over protective gecko mommy's run on sentences

2.7.13 Cresties Ozai Nix Gracie Ling Parula Midori Issabella Mischief Lydia
    Tango Gimp Avery Grasun Lyrica Gizmo Blaine Neva Skyler Sydney Rene Nico Rio
    0.1 Gargoyles Squishy*
    1.2 Leopards Sabastian Willow Allie
    To speak without thinking is to shoot without aiming

GeckosandGiggles.com IHerp

Thanks

Oooh no
    I hope suregery goes well. Hes in my thoughts!
    Crestopia Reptiles
    http://crestopiareptiles.webs.com/

8.20.34.43 Crested Geckos, 2.2.0.4 Gargoyle Geckos, 0.2.0 Leachies, 2.0.1 Pictus Geckos, 0.1 AKSB, 0.0.1 RETF, 1.2.0 Dogs

Thanks

Poor kiddo. I am certainly thinking about him. And you. That is very stressful!
    I think 5 species of geckos is enough! Lets not talk about the snakes!

Thanks

Poor boy! Im praying for a speedy recoery for him! And for your nerves! He has such a good mommy, he will be ok! *hugs*

3.0 Crested Geckos *Moe*Kami*Piper*
    [COLOR="RoyalBlue"]0.1 Gargoyle Gecko *Nexus*[/COLOR
    1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa *Incus*
    0.1 Sphynx Outcross x American Curl Cat *Kura*
    1.0 Tabby Cat *Shorty*

Thanks

wow! im praying!!! good luck!!!
    Crested Geckos 4.8.7.2
    Leopard Geckos 1.0.0
    Portuguese Water Dog 0.1.0
    www.chasescresties.webs.com

Thanks

Oh my gosh! I am so glad you are taking such good care of your lil guy. He is lucky to have you! Hope all goes well.

Thanks

Hoping the beautiful boy makes a full recovery.

Thanks

Thank you so much everyone. It means alot to me to have such a wonderful community of people to count on in times like this. Still waiting on that phone call. I will be sure to update you all as soon as I know how he is.

2.7.13 Cresties Ozai Nix Gracie Ling Parula Midori Issabella Mischief Lydia
    Tango Gimp Avery Grasun Lyrica Gizmo Blaine Neva Skyler Sydney Rene Nico Rio
    0.1 Gargoyles Squishy*
    1.2 Leopards Sabastian Willow Allie
    To speak without thinking is to shoot without aiming

GeckosandGiggles.com IHerp

Thanks

Saying prayers for Sunberry!!

Love and Light-
    Donna

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, man would die from a great loneliness of spirit, for whatever happens to the beasts soon happens to the man. All things are connected."-Chief Seattle

Thanks

I'm very glad to see you posted pictures and explained this to everyone. I had a gecko that had a prolapsed hemipene as well about a year ago, and when i first saw it i freaked out. I really don't think people realize this can happen, i certainly didn't.

Hope your kiddo recovers quickly!