Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Butterworms

Thanks

Default Butterworms

Has anyone on here tried to feed there crested geckos butterworms? If so did they seem to like them? Did your gecko have trouble eating them? I was thinking about ordering some to see if my geckos would like them as a lil snack but I wanted to see if anyone had any input first.

Thanks Charles

Thanks

I heard butterworms aren't the best. I heard they're very fatty and not that nutritious. But that's just what I heard.
    www.CustomPetEnclosures.com
    Quote Originally Posted by StickyFeet. View Post
    "IF ANYTHING HAPPENED TO ONE TINY CREST, TAIL OR SCALE I WILL KILL YOU!!!!!!"

Thanks

You sure your not mixing up butterworms with Wax worms? I've heard that butters are rather good feeders, while its the waxies that are really high in fat and can be likened to Gecko crack, or at the very least, gecko twinkies.
    To the OP's question, I have not tried butterworms with my cresties, however my Tokays and fat tails will eat them. Some of my cresties will snarf phoenix worms, and others won't touch them. As far as I know, phoenix, silk and horn worms have the highest calcium of the worms.
    Help! Crested Geckos! 0.1.Leachie, 2.1.1 Gargs, 1.0 Chahoua, 2.1. Blue Tongue Skinks, 1.1. White Lined Geckos, 1.3. African Fat Tails, 2.2.0 Tokay Geckos, 1.0. Giant Day Gecko, 2 tarantulas

Thanks

Now that you mention it I think your right. Pardon me.
    www.CustomPetEnclosures.com
    Quote Originally Posted by StickyFeet. View Post
    "IF ANYTHING HAPPENED TO ONE TINY CREST, TAIL OR SCALE I WILL KILL YOU!!!!!!"

Thanks

I have offered them before and had mixed results. Some of my guys just refused to eat them. But every now and then as treats I offer them to my insect lovers.

Thanks

i've also thought about getting these for my cresties, since they love waxworms and i've heard that butterworms aren't as fatty and are higher in calcium. the only problem is i cant find anyone that sells them for a decent price, and you cant breed them because they are imported, radiated at a low level to keep them from breeding (what i've read).

are you looking at someplace online that sells them, or is it somewhere nearby? i'm reaaally interested in ordering some if you know of someone.

Thanks

You can order them from Mulberry farms. They have pretty good prices, but the shipping is on the high side.

On a side note, my little dalmation loves hatchling hornworms! I believe that hornworms have more protein and calcium than butterworms and are also lower in fat. They are kind of expensive, but I always have them around for my dragons.
    ~Johnny O~

1.0.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus
    0.0.1 Rhacodactylus auriculatus

Thanks

Hey rubberduckey273 I was going to order some from a site thats called www.beaverbait.com they sell a 100 for like $10...

Thanks everyone I might have to order some and try them out

Thanks

oh cool, ill check both of them out. i bought hornworms once, in varying sizes, and none of my reptiles would eat them =( even my chinese water dragon that was basically a disposal wrapped in scales.

Thanks

I ordered some last night to see if they would like them.... lets see how things work out