Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to look at calcium sacks

Thanks

Default How to look at calcium sacks

How do you look at a cesties calcium sacks. I halve been told that every now and then that you should check a cresties calcium sacks. Is this correct and if so how do you do it. How do you open there mouths without hurting them.

Thanks

Hey there! This video should help ya out:
    Video made by Jaybee our wonderful Mod here on Pangea!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVqPF...eature=related
    Crestopia Reptiles
    http://crestopiareptiles.webs.com/

8.20.34.43 Crested Geckos, 2.2.0.4 Gargoyle Geckos, 0.2.0 Leachies, 2.0.1 Pictus Geckos, 0.1 AKSB, 0.0.1 RETF, 1.2.0 Dogs

Thanks

I use a really thin credit card. Tickling the corners of the mouth with it gets them to open long enough to slide it over and gently check. Q-tip works great too, I have to use that one one female that refuses to give in to the credit card trick.

Thanks

I use a rubber spacula (sp?).

Thanks

Honestly I could never get my cresties to open up so I would just leave them if they dont . Def dont push it, I have a few ladies that Ive never seen their sacks. If I thought there was a problem I would have made more effort but I dont like to stress them out.
    I have one that will open up with just a touch to the side of her mouth, heres what they look like...
    This girl opened up and stayed open, I had my camera right there so I snapped a pic They are not all this easy though

2.2.2crested geckos 1 ambilobe Cham
    1.1 PI chahoua 1.2 leachie 1 leopard gecko 1.0 Bearded Dragon 1.0 Hamster 0.2 Tortoises 1 possum
    1.2 KSBoa

http://www.iherp.com/cslinca

Thanks

great close up shot. kinda reminds me our tonsils when we had them as kids.

Thanks

Thats a great pic of the calcium sacs cslinca!

You only really need to check them if you have a female thats breeding or laying eggs. The sacs become depleted when the eggs are produced.
    STEVEN
    8.9.4 Rhacodactylus Ciliatus
    2.0.0 Rhacodactylus Auriculatus
    0.0.1 Rhacodactylus Chahoua

Thanks

does fussing with them to open their mouths cause enough stress that they would drop their tail or would that only happen if their tail itself was messed with?

Thanks

I've never been able to get Pongo to open her mouth wide enough for me - the only time I have been able to check is when she is shedding her skin & I happen to see her - then she opens her mouth wide and I can see inside. I have tried yawning in hopes she will imitate me but she just licks at me.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ontheairship View Post
    does fussing with them to open their mouths cause enough stress that they would drop their tail or would that only happen if their tail itself was messed with?
    Ive heard of cresteds that lost their tail because it was misting time and when the owner went to mist it freaked the gecko out and the tail was dropped. That just goes to say it depends on the gecko and how skittish they are and even the ones that are not have their days.

Quote Originally Posted by blossom View Post
    I've never been able to get Pongo to open her mouth wide enough for me - the only time I have been able to check is when she is shedding her skin & I happen to see her - then she opens her mouth wide and I can see inside. I have tried yawning in hopes she will imitate me but she just licks at me.
    Some just dont want to open up.....I have one that does the same and even when trying to force it a little with a q-tip she wont budge!
    STEVEN
    8.9.4 Rhacodactylus Ciliatus
    2.0.0 Rhacodactylus Auriculatus
    0.0.1 Rhacodactylus Chahoua