Thread: Seting up for a crested gecko n have a few questions!

Thanks

Default Seting up for a crested gecko n have a few questions!

i have a 40 gallon wide tank and im planing on buying a male and female crested geckos and i wanted to know what is a good substrate for the tank ( i plan on using real plants) also do i need a uv light or a uvb light or both. also do u think i should put a heat light on one side of the tank to keep it warm? and do u think i should get a blue moon light for @ night?

Thanks!

Thanks

I would get 2, 20 gallons and start there. Please don't put a male and female together unless you know what yoru getting into. Is the female of breeding weight? Whats her diet? Do you know how to check her calcium sacs? Do you have an extra cage incase the male hounds her for sex so much that she stops eatting? Do you have enough cages for the 12+ babies she may produce? What will you do with babies you can't sell? I would use paper towel on any new arrival and i'd also quarentine them from one anouther incase one is sick. Even if they are from the same breeder.

Thanks

what if i get one baby gecko and then let it grow and figure out what sex it is den can and how can i add the opposite sex gecko to the tank?

Thanks

You need to type more clearly. I can hardly understand what you just wrote. Yes you can get two unsexed babies and grow them into adult hood. It isn't that hard to introduce two adults. How do you think people end up with babys? I've introduced hand raised adults to my males no problem. If you were to do this. Both geckos need to be around the same weight. So invest in a gram scale. Females can't be stuck with males untill there above 35 grams or else you run the risk of egg binding which can kill your females if the eggs arn't removed by a vet. I think you have alot more reaserch you need to do before you get a crested. If you want an adult. Get a male and a 20 gallon tank or a 12x12x18 or 18x18x24 exo terra. If you decide to get a babie get a medium kritter keeper and slowly move it up to a 10 gallon when it's 13 grams and a 20 gallon when it's 25 grams.

Thanks

Excellent post, Tiedye. There is a lot more research that needs to go into ownership than the enclosure contents.

I use paper towel and never keep a live viv so I cannot comment on what works best, but I do know that if you are planning to have a huge enclosurefor a pair to start with, you really should know what you are getting into.

Thanks

Thanks Mike.