Thread: New Crestie Keeper with a couple questions

Thanks

Default New Crestie Keeper with a couple questions

Just got my first crested gecko (see pic) from (breeder name) 8 days ago and have a few questions I hope you can help me with:
    1. How much do they eat? I feed it 1/4 tsp of CGD each night, but in the morning it doesn't look like it's eaten any of it, and I think it's actually lost weight since I got it... I also mist each night. I have put a few crickets in the cage and I'm pretty sure it's eaten them, since I can't find them...
    2. How often do they poop? I haven't seen any poop yet.
    3. How can I find out the age? I emailed (breeder name) and asked about the age, but can't seem to get a reply.
    4. When can I find out the sex? I guess it would help if I knew the age for this one...
    5. How often should I handle it? I've only handled it to put it into the medium critter keeper it's in. If it's like my snakes, I like to give them a week or so to settle in and feel more comfortable before handling. And this little guy is so jumpy, I'm worried about losing it if it gets loose... Any advice here is appreciated!

See the photo I attached. Does it look a little skinny? I've also attached the photo from (breeder name)'s site when I purchased it. That photo is about 2 months old. My photo is 2 days old.

Thanks so much for the help!

Ed
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Jaybee; 01-29-2010 at 02:52 PM. Reason: edited out breeder's name

Thanks

it is not skinny...but i would stop the rickets until you are sure he is eating the CGD. if you start to see poop and you are not feeding crickets then he is eating the CGD. the babies eat very small amounts of CGD so it may never look like any has been taken. don't handle it too much especially as a baby. also it is a good thing to let it settle for week before handling. Oh, and by the way, welcome to the addiction!:cute2:
    Crested Geckos 4.8.7.2
    Leopard Geckos 1.0.0
    Portuguese Water Dog 0.1.0
    www.chasescresties.webs.com

Thanks

Hi and Welcome to Pangea! You will get all the help you need here!

-When there that small it doesnt take much to fill their bellies and since he is new to you he might hold out on eating until he settles in......Dont feed any crickets until its stable on CGD.

-They poop like once or twice a week or so, but they cant poop until they eat. Once you see poop you will know its eating.

-Looks like about 4-6 months maybe, im guessing of course.

-Since your a newbie the best way to find out the sex is to watch for a bulge to appear, or not appear, at the base of the tail. This bulge may not appear until the gecko is up to 25g. If you know an experienced keeper they may be able to loupe the gecko for you at an earlier age.

-Wait a week or two before handling and then only handle for brief periods until the gecko gets used to you. Then you can extend the time. Handwalking helps tame them down when you first take them out.

The gecko looks fine to me in the photos so just give it a little time and you will be fine. Be sure to maintain proper temperatures and humidity.
    STEVEN

Thanks

Thanks for the great advice, and for the warm welcome! I must say I'm relieved to hear she (I'm just calling it a she until I know for sure) looks ok to experienced eyes. So I'll continue feeding the CGD and stop with the crickets for now. I'll give her another week or two before attempting to handle her.

HEAT: I do have a UTH on a thermostat under the cricket keeper since that room gets into the low 60's at night. The temp seems to be pretty stable at around 72-74 depending on the time of day. As for humidity, it gets a little humid after I mist, and then dries up by the morning.

Thanks again! I'm sure I'll be back with more questions soon... :-)

Ed

Thanks

You dont really need the heat pad, cresties are fine down to the mid 50's. If you dont have a hygrometer I recommend you get one to monitor the humidity.

Glad we could help and anymore questions are welcomed!
    STEVEN

Thanks

Awesome, then I've got these other questions:
    1. I've read in several places that cresties don't need more than 40-50% humidity, and misting once a day should be fine. I do have an Accu-right I could put in there to check humidity, just want to be sure it's necessary since there's so little room in the cage...
    2. The cage is on a granite counter, which tends to draw out heat. So without the UTH under it, I worry the temps would go down to the 50's and stay there. We do heat the room, but during the week we only heat it at night when we're all home and awake. During the day, and when we're sleeping, the room temps drop to the high 50's or low 60's. So in that case should I keep the UTH in place to better regulate the temp?
    3. The CGD I am using is the bottled T-Rex stuff. Is that fine for now? And is 1/4 tsp fine for her size? I couldn't find any recommendations on amount to feed per day...

Thanks again!
    0.0.1 Rhacodactylus Ciliatus (Ginger)
    1.0 Dumeril's Boa (Dewey)
    1.1 Bredls Pythons (Samson & Delilah)
    0.1 Green Tree Python (Fiona)
    5.5 Ball Pythons
    1.0 5-yo Human Boy (Jacob)
    0.1 Amazingly understanding wife (Jeanne)

Thanks

-45% is as low as you want it to ever reach. I suggest a a hygrometer just to make sure it doesnt drop past that. Once a day may be fine for misting but it varies greatly depending on location.

-A thermometer is also recommended and with that you will know if the temps drop to low. Try without the heat and if temps continually drop below 55 degrees then add you may need to add heat.

-The t-rex is fine for now. I recommend you get a bag or two of CGD from Matt here at Pangea, its much cheaper. A 1/4 tsp is fine to get going on one little guy. When he starts eating better, you may need to add more.

No Problem!
    STEVEN

Thanks

I agree with what everybody else has just said! You've come to the right place! Feel free to ask as many questions as you like. Nice little one you've got there too.